The Loch Lake Trail

The Loch Lake Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. Once we saw the water careening down the canyon so freely, We decided to hop over to the opposite side of the stream and scale rocks and ledges most of the way to capture most of the beautiful shots that we were able to. Once you make your way to The Loch, you will experience some of the pristine beauty that the Rocky Mountains hold. It was amazingly breathtaking to see the canyon and surroundings once we got there! You can get a view of a Andrew's Glacier.

Nice trail, well worth the effort on the final push up. It was steep and slippery but microspikes made it doable. If you're heading past Loch to Sky Pond I recommend snowshoes or deep crampons. It gets incredibly difficult going up timberline falls. It's frozen, steep and icy. I got stuck about half way up and had to throw on snowshoes. Made it much easier, I just wish I had threw them on before attempting the climb up. I saw a couple of people make it with just microspikes but they were having a really hard time trying not to slip down. It was WELL worth the effort though!

Hiked 3-17-2017 in snow boots and only used snowshoes for the final uphill just before you approach the lake. Can be icy in the am and slushy afternoons right now, which makes crampons a perfect addition.

Difficult in the latter half for new hikers, but very worth the views at the end. Definitely recommend even for beginners - doable at a slower pace. Will definitely be back

Awesome hike! Well worth the effort at the end uphill!!! Snowshoes was a must, although few did have sneakers on and were able to SLOWLY make it up and over. Extremely beautiful lake surrounded by mountains. Will do again once snow melts to view the difference!

Beautiful, stunning destination. This is my second time doing this trail. I first did this trail in late February 2016, and was able to use the "Winter" route, which essentially
leads you up a frozen waterfall. My boyfriend and I attempted to do the winter route today, but became a bit spooked by some holes in the ice. As it's almost mid March, I highly recommend taking the summer route, which AllTrails will lead you to, anyway. Windy at the top, but utterly gorgeous. This remains my favorite winter RMNP hike!

Well worth the effort.

Beautiful winter hike in February. On reaching Loch Lake, there was no wind. Would recommend it.

I much prefer Mills Lake, but it was definitely beautiful. The trail was relatively packed down, with some spots of loose powder. Perfect for snowshoeing.

Completed this trail about a month ago. It was fairly easy with beautiful scenery. The day I went it was very windy and the lake was frozen. This is a hike I would definitely go on again.

Fun trail! It's been snowing a lot recently so snowshoes were super helpful. Amazing views all throughout the hike. Would definitely recommend!

Below Alberta Falls, it's groomed like a Disney theme park. Above, it's something entirely postcard worthy. No snow yet, except if you push on to tree line. Cold winds rip around exposed outcroppings. Great hike to take your out-of-Colorado guests.

Favorite hike so far! Awesome views and relatively easy trail.