The Loch Lake Trail

The Loch Lake Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. Once you make your way to The Loch, you will experience some of the pristine beauty that the Rocky Mountains hold. The view of the canyon and surroundings once you arrive is breathtaking. You also get a view of Andrew's Glacier.

36 minutes ago

Beautiful hike. Get there early, it gets crowded quickly.

51 minutes ago

Amazing hike with 11 and 13 year old kids. Crowded at Alberta Falls; but the crowds really drop off after that. The Loch is GORGEOUS, but don’t stop the the edge. Walk all the way around to get the views. We saw two sets of elk swimming in the lake. Would have loved to go all the way to Timberlake Falls or Sky Pond, but my family wasn’t having it.

We hiked this trail on the way to Andrews Creek campsite and it was awesome. We caught some nice sized rainbow trout that we cooked up for dinner. You need a permit if you are staying overnight and the campsites are by reservation only.

off road driving

I did it with stock new Silverado. it was brutal for this kind of car, though it has 4x4 low and all that crap, this trail is not for stock SUV like KIA sportage or so, because it is really rocky and you dont enjoy the drive.
I would recommend a jeep or something like Expedition for this.

other than that, lake is nice and all, but not breathtaking.

Tough trail for someone who is not used to hiking but worth the view at the end!

Loved! Hiked up past Alberta Falls, which is where the trail gets more difficult. Definitely doable, though, and not busy at all on a Friday. Absolutely beautiful.

Hiked it on 08/01/18. Beautiful trail with great views. I recommend it

One of my favorite lakes in RMNP. Relatively easy to get up to and stunning once there.

Very busy for first 1/2 of trail. But, no where near as busy as the Bear Lake area. Plenty of scenery with river next to trail. Loch Lake is very beautiful. Strongly recommend you don’t stop at Loch and plan to go all the way up to Sky Pond.

Well maintained trail, beautiful scenery!

Did this hike on the way to Sky Pond. A really nice stopping point at halfway to sky pond. The lake is beautiful, the fish are awesome looking and the water is so clean and clear. I believe it was around 2.6 miles to the Lake. Go to the north end for bigger views of the lake.

Beautiful views!

Loved this hike! Moderate elevation gain with lots of waterfalls, wildlife and wildflowers along the way. Breathtaking scenery and views once you arrive at The Loch. It was about 6.5 miles which included some wandering around the lake itself and took us 4 hours because of all the stops for pictures!

I will definitely be returning to Loch Lake. I took the Bear Lake trailhead and exited at the Glacier Gorge trailhead. So many streams of running water and tons of shade along the path. Loch Lake was the most private lake destination along the way. Bear, Nymph, Dream and Emerald were packed so it was nice to get away from all of the people and get to enjoy the serenity of being by the water. Truly breathtaking. Highly recommend this.

Did this hike on Friday morning. We arrived via shuttle at the park. It was pretty busy, but thinned out as we got further along. The view at the lake is breathtaking.

First time doing this trail and I loved it. I left a little late in the day around 1:30 and I was back down by 4pm (hung out at the lake for at 45 mins). Traffic is bad down at the bottom but once we got onto the loch trail it thinned out a lot. Bits of sun and bits a shade, gorgeous waterfall views. When you finally arrive to Loch it is sooo rewarding and SO beautiful. Amazing hike for it only being 5 1/2 - 6 miles long!

If you’re a true hiker, definitely hike to Loch Vale. The view is absolutely stunning and worth every minute.

Great trail with some awesome views! Decent elevation gain. Get there early!

This was a great hike! Closer to 6 miles round trip. We enjoyed it and there was some nice views along the way.

Done this hike on the way to sky pond. Beautiful hike.

We traveled this trail on July 6th. We started the trail from taking the shuttle to glacier gorge at around 8:30am. It was a beautiful hike, lightly trafficked, and the hike becomes more rugged and natural after you pass Alberta falls. The last 0.8 mile trek of the trail was steeper and switchback but lead to a beautiful, peaceful lake which was a great place to stop for a snack. Bring bug spray.

Solid moderate trail with nice views throughout. Only downside is that it’s very busy, especially around the falls.

Great fishing. Great views, waterfalls, and still snow at the lake as you first come to it. . The only downside was that it was like hiking in NY City. But hey, it was the 4th of July, what do you expect. ,
It’s all uphill from glacier gorge trailhead so bring lots of water.
Still a 10 hike in my book.

Great hike! Definitely a man-made path, with some more difficulty as you go further on. I hiked in tennis shoes vs hiking boots with no problem at all. There are gorgeous views all throughout the hike, but definitely gets "worth it" after the first mile and a half or so. It's $25 for a day pass into Rocky Mountain National Park and we parked at the shuttle lot, which is free. I would recommend just going straight to the shuttle lot vs the parking at the trailhead, as there is very limited parking at the trailheads. I would also recommend going early for this hike. We started off about 9:30a (later than we had expected) and it was not very crowded. By the time we were coming down there was a significant amount of people coming up the mountain and it seemed quite crowded. I was glad we were able to take our time coming up and enjoying everything there was to see versus being overcrowded in the afternoon. Highly recommend this trail!

Good and nice. Do yourself a favor and add Mills lake. And if you don't mind the scramble, go for skypond!

Fun moderate hike, with a good amount of shade along the trail and a beautiful payoff at the end. My wife and I did this with our 1 1/2 year old in a backpack carrier. There is something interesting to look at for most of the hike...nice views of the lower valley, the creek running along the whole trail, and peeks of the snow capped mountains up ahead. Crowds thin out fast after you pass the waterfall. Once you reach loch lake head for the center island area for the best vantage point.
This is a Rocky mtn must do!!

Really laid back hike with beautiful views the entire way. Heavy traffic to the falls, but if you keep heading to the lake, the number of people decreases a lot.

Easy, pretty hike! We started at 0730 and had to park at bear lake trailhead as glacier gorge was full, but from there the trail joins up. Not too many people on the trail with us after Alberta falls but of course seemed much busier at noon. Would definitely recommend pushing on to sky pond.

Beautiful hike to a gorgeous part of RMNP. Can get crowded so start early.

Excellent hike. Lots of shade along the way with gaps in the trees that open to views of the mountains and creeks. Take a dip in the lake after your hike.