The Loch and Lake of Glass

The Loch and Lake of Glass is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 10.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,850 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Gorgeous Make sure to go to sky pond.

Icy! Brings spikes if you plan to do sky pond!

Hiked it this morning 10/13. Slept in my Jeep at the trailhead and winds were ripping all night long. Ice on the trail the whole way. Didn’t throw on crampons till I went up the waterfall to Sky Pond. The waterfall is completely frozen and super slippery. I would recommend crampons for the whole hike with ice thawing out and freezing again. One of the best hikes I’ve done in RMNP.

Absolutely wonderful trail!! The waterfall at the top was a huge highlight and the gorgeous views of the valley were unbeatable. Lots of ice and heavy winds at the top but worth all the effort!

Totally awesome. Great views throughout. Gorgeous lakes. Some good Aspen views in the begging. Surprisingly crowded for a Monday in late September.

This trail is especially lovely in the autumn! You can see the tops of trees below and the changing leaves. Some parts are rocky and narrow so definitely let people who are going up the trail go first (besides, its the perfect time for a water break). Try to do it early in the morning because it will get warm!

You will work, but you will be rewarded. Amazing views - aspen, waterfalls, and lakes. One of best hikes I’ve done.

It's a good hike, but definitely long. Saw lots of wildlife on the hike... Elk, marmots, stellar's Jay, chipmunks, squirrels... The sky pond at the end is beautiful and pristine but it's a bit of work to get to it scrambling up the rocks alongside a small waterfall.

Hiked as far as I could go around sky pond. Scramble was a bit icy but not bad at all. Face to face with a big elk at the shorelines of the first lake, Loch pond I believe. Cut across on the way back for the glacier gorge. 4 alpine lakes total. Hence the 11 miles

This was the hardest hike I’ve done and the views the entire way made it worth it. It’s an incline to the waterfall and then requires a little climbing to get up the falls to Glass Lake. The extra walk to Sky Pond is totally worth it. The first lake, Loch, was probably the most picturesque especially with the aspens changing to yellow so if you want to take the easy route just stick with that. To sky pond it says 8.2 miles however my Apple Watch tracked more. Overall this hike was 10/10 beautiful but my legs feel like jello and it took us all day. Highly recommend!

This is a fun and beautiful trail! This trail has it all. We saw half a dozen elk at Loch Lake and a few just wading in the water. After Loch Lake, the elevation increases pretty rapidly but it’s only moderately strenuous. The waterfall scramble is dICEy! :) No but seriously it is sketchy because it is icy right where you need to get a good grip. With some help from others to guide your grips and steps, it’s do-able. Once we got to Glass Lake the wind gusts almost knocked us over. Beautiful views at the top. Get there early! No parking spots left at Glacier Gorge trailhead when we arrived at 7:30.

This trail was just gorgeous the whole way through. While the loch is definitely the most scenic of the lakes going up to sky pond is worth it. The view down is incredible. I hiked solo in 3.5 hours, but I'm 28 and took minimal breaks.

Stunning!

Gorgeous trail! Took me about 4 hours round trip starting at 8:20am (that includes about 30 minutes extra time taking pictures/wandering and snacking at the top & about 10 minutes of “traffic” at the waterfall) - I was hiking by myself so I kept a pretty fast pace. By the time I arrived back at the trailhead around 12:15pm the trail was getting very crowded with people hiking to Alberta Falls, which is only 0.8 miles in from the trailhead. The waterfall was fun to climb, though slightly more treacherous coming down due to the water. But the scramble is 100% worth it for the views at the top! Definitely hike all the way down to Sky Pond - the views are better and is way less crowded!

Lake of glass is gorgeous. Relatively easy hike, fair number of stairs just before lake of glass. Extremely crowded. Expect to wait in line during the scramble.

Fantastic hike all around. More difficult for certain at the end from Lake of Glass to Sky Pond. Georgous! Pack fluids and snacks. Enjoy!

The trail was great, and well maintained. It wasn’t crowded. On the suggestion of a local hiker, I went to Sky Pond at the fork and the doubled back to finish up the Mills Lake trail. I do not recommend doing both trails on the same day. I didn’t get to see Black Lake and Frozen Lake, did get to see lots of beautiful scenery and animals

Very windy but still ended up being my favorite hike I’ve done in Colorado so far. Once I reached the first lake I started to hear some elk bugling. And I ended up stumbling into a big bull on the trail as I rounded the lake with 5 cows. One of the coolest moments I’ve ever had in nature.

Stunning trail! A bit past the Loch but not quite to Sky Pond. Difficult in some spots but I ran this as a trail run and it was a good mix of uphill and flat / downhill. Awesome hike with great views at the lake!

I would recommend this trail to anyone. You will see nice nature, wildlife and amazing views. Little animals are very friendly. Try to start early in the morning like at 6 am maybe 7 am, because at 8 am the parking lot is full. But before this parking lot you will see a huge parking lot and you can take shuttle bus. Enjoy!!!

awesome hike. paths are well maintained. they are pretty heavily trafficked until you get out a few miles. highly recommend.

This is an excellent hike. I would definitely rate this between moderate and hard. The hard part is at the very end. Lots of stairs and then you have to hike up the waterfall, which was a lot of fun but took work. Everything was so beautiful I would definitely do it again. The earlier you start the better. Less people you have to deal with at the waterfall. A++ hike.

Don’t miss this trail amazing views and overall not difficult. It was kind of busy but not so much that I wouldn’t do it again

This trail is amazing! Beautiful views all the way up. The waterfall climb wasn’t as bad as we anticipated and definitely worth it. Arrived at the Glacier Gorge parking lot around 6:20 AM and about half the spots were left, but had mostly filled up before we started hiking.