The Keyhole and Longs Peak Trail

The Keyhole and Longs Peak Trail is a 13.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The trail is well labeled and easy to find due to the traffic it receives. Follow the Longs Peak trail. There are many signs that will help you stay on the correct path. There are restrooms available at the trailhead, at 11,000 feet, and in the boulder field on this hike. A nice change over a lot of other back country hikes. This route will not exceed class two hiking. The most difficult part is doing the boulder field, however if you take your time most people can navigate it without trouble. The view from the rock formation keyhole is dramatic.

The conditions were absolutely perfect for this hike. We started our summit at 320 am. Make sure when you make the turn, you find the path for the boulderfield -- we accidentally took a detour to Chasm Lake and it cost us about 2 hours. I estimate for most people you should estimate around 10-11 hours for the roundtrip. Don't think even if you're experienced that it's going to be much shorter. The trail is about 15 miles out and back, despite what it says on this site. I mapped it on my gps watch and the trail marking signs very clearly say 7.4 miles. The scramble to, and past, the keyhole is very extreme.

I have hiked Longs Peak on 12th August, 2017. Because this summer was really stormy and rainy in Estes Park, I have decided to start early - 3AM from Longs Peak Trailhead. The first part was just long hike through the forest in the dark. You could only see the small light points ahead of you, from other tourists headlamps. It was amazing view. Above the tree level it was really windy and even though I hiked uphill it was quite chilly. So it is good to consieder taking additional sweater. After the sunrise The Diamond was iluminated by the sunlight. It looked really good.
More difficult part starts from the Keyhole, sometimes you have to use your hands to scramble so remember to take some gloves. There were small icy spots on the last part of the trail.
Take lots of water (i took 3 litres) and some power/protein bars.
Great 360 degrees view from the top and the photo on my first 14er :)
I really recommend this trail.

Very long hike that requires plenty of preparation. Please bring the 10 essentials with you and plenty of water. Great views of the Diamond all around though!

I have been to The Keyhole 7 times and have summited Long's Peak 3 times now over the years. I have to admit, today's ascent will probably be my last... I've just grown too afraid of heights (sheer drop offs here unlike all the other Front Range 14ers) and the multitude of steps on this trail kills my knees and hips! I sure like this hike, though.

One of my favorite hikes of all time!

My fav 14er cuz the boulders field camp ground is stunning( we back packed in the day before and finished the final section the next day, camp ground fills up quickly and make sure you have bear cans, got into trouble with rangers since we didn't) Gorgeous sunrise and fun climb in the end, only thing is that there're so many people who had no idea what they're doing so start early in the summer to avoid the crowd!

more technical than I anticipated, but absolutely amazing! don't do it with a cast on your arm!

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Great variety in terrain and surroundings throughout the 3-4 different major sections of the hike. All absolutely stunning. You will work hard for a great reward if you take this route all the way to Longs Peak.
Incredible wind once your above treeline when I went, and it was cold enough mid morning in early August to practically freeze the energy bar I had brought as a snack. I will pack more accordingly next time...

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Friday, July 24, 2015

Snow and ice were on the final ascent and prevented us from reaching the summit as we he'd no technical gear. Will try again next year in August.

Friday, July 13, 2012

I would not make the keyhole a destination hike. If you have hiked all the way to the keyhole, you should put out the extra effort and go all the way to the top of Longs Peak. The view from the keyhole just is not worth all that work. Choose another Longs trailhead hike such as Chasm Lake and have fun going through the Goblin Forest.