The Keyhole and Longs Peak Trail

The Keyhole and Longs Peak Trail is a 13.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The trail is well labeled and easy to find due to the traffic it receives. Follow the Longs Peak trail. There are many signs that will help you stay on the correct path. There are restrooms available at the trailhead, at 11,000 feet, and in the boulder field on this hike. A nice change over a lot of other back country hikes. This route will not exceed class two hiking. The most difficult part is doing the boulder field, however if you take your time most people can navigate it without trouble. The view from the rock formation keyhole is dramatic.

I have been to The Keyhole 7 times and have summited Long's Peak 3 times now over the years. I have to admit, today's ascent will probably be my last... I've just grown too afraid of heights (sheer drop offs here unlike all the other Front Range 14ers) and the multitude of steps on this trail kills my knees and hips! I sure like this hike, though.

One of my favorite hikes of all time!

My fav 14er cuz the boulders field camp ground is stunning( we back packed in the day before and finished the final section the next day, camp ground fills up quickly and make sure you have bear cans, got into trouble with rangers since we didn't) Gorgeous sunrise and fun climb in the end, only thing is that there're so many people who had no idea what they're doing so start early in the summer to avoid the crowd!

more technical than I anticipated, but absolutely amazing! don't do it with a cast on your arm!

Great variety in terrain and surroundings throughout the 3-4 different major sections of the hike. All absolutely stunning. You will work hard for a great reward if you take this route all the way to Longs Peak.
Incredible wind once your above treeline when I went, and it was cold enough mid morning in early August to practically freeze the energy bar I had brought as a snack. I will pack more accordingly next time...

Friday, July 24, 2015

Snow and ice were on the final ascent and prevented us from reaching the summit as we he'd no technical gear. Will try again next year in August.

Friday, July 13, 2012

I would not make the keyhole a destination hike. If you have hiked all the way to the keyhole, you should put out the extra effort and go all the way to the top of Longs Peak. The view from the keyhole just is not worth all that work. Choose another Longs trailhead hike such as Chasm Lake and have fun going through the Goblin Forest.