The Incline Trail

The Incline Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The trail is the remains of a cog railway that went to the top of Manitou Mountain. The trail gains about 2000 feet of elevation in about a mile. Imagine climbing a rough uneven set of stairs that's a mile long. There is a bail out about half way up that will put you on Barr Trail. Beware of the false summit just past the bail out. Once you're at the top you can hike back down the incline, or turn south and hike or run back down Barr Trail. The view from the top over Colorado Springs is worth the effort. This is a great trail for training and it is what most people use it for.

Hiked this yesterday (2/16/19). Incline was in good shape. Some patches of ice at the higher altitudes but only on the left hand side of the stairs. Trail back down was 95% clear of ice and snow. Great climb, the parking situation could be better though.

Definitely a challenging hike. Be sure to bring plenty of water, a hat, and some sort of snake (like a banana or granola bar)
There is a false peak...in which you can dip out and take the trail down, or continue up. Continue up after that because the views alone are worth the hike! Done it multiple times and I will do it again once it warms up

Stairs were in decent condition, microspikes helped big time on a few icy stretches.

it's awesome. it's difficult. it's probably worth it. bring good boots in the winter. stairs are snow packed!

wonderful hike the parking lot that connects to the th was closed today I guess there was parking at the cog rail line however I parked in parking lot b in manitou. the trail is very icy going up the incline and most of barr trail. I suggest using micro spikes they definitely help overall great hike

This isn’t for beginners, but I did it! I almost died. Ha! Just kidding. Very steep but it’s worth the trip. The views are majestic let alone the physical challenge it brings is exceptional. I’ll definitely be back here this summer when I visit COS.

Definitely I tough hike if your not used to elevation- probably not smart to fly in from Texas on 3 hours sleep and go directly to the hike. Considering all of that I made it 1.3 miles ( approximately 1700 steps) before deciding to be smart and take the 1st trail down. My stomach was jacked and my heart was pounding even though my pulse was not that high. Lesson learned - get in a few days early to acclimate, hydrate, and try it again. I still had a great hike and really enjoyed the views and light snow. On a positive note I did bring water, microspikes, and proper clothing

Note: went back today and made it up with no altitude issues. I will make this hike whenever I am in town - great workout

man what a workout but worth it. icy would suggest using spikes.

Great challenge for anyone. Scenic views. Well trafficked but not over crowded.

2nd time back and a little less rough but still very challenging. The final 200 steps are icy and spikes would be ideal but I did it without them.

Awesome trail and a great workout!!

My favorite since even before it was ever open !

LEG WORKOUT! So so worth it! Feels very rewarding to have completed this one.

Way more than I anticipated but worth every leg cramp and labored breath.

I first learned about this place in 2015. I took the opportunity to climb it in June 2016. It is a rather tough climb, especially if one is not in the best of physical condition as I was. The keys to complete this climb is to be absolutely committed to climb to the summit, take at least 2 liters of water (I use a camel pack), take your time & rest when necessary, and enjoy the stunning vistas. I plan on going back in June 2019, & maybe even climbing all the way to Pike's Peak, time permitting.

Great work out. Beautiful view. Has a wimp-out zone that heads back down for those who don't want to finish. But when you get to the summit (not the false summit), you find it's totally worth it. People are friendly and supportive along the way.

Completed October 2018

False summit

Very hard, very worth it. Don’t bring your dog, it’s too much for them. The steps take about an hour, and then it’s a nice leisurely walk down the Barr trail. Beautiful!

The trail is mostly clear with some icy sections towards the top,my regular trail shoes handled it just fine. We took the bar trail back down since the ice was making me nervous. But if you have crampons/yaktrax then no worries. Wasn’t busy on a Sunday afternoon. We took our sweet time and did it 2.5 round trip. Love the views and workout.

Hiked 12/8/18 - Conditions were great. a few sections of ice/snow but mostly dry. No traction needed...just expect to be more careful on the small sections that are ice/snow covered. Hiked it with full winter loadout and completed the incline section of the route in 54 minutes. Then we took our time going down the Barr Trail. This is a great workout hike and even better if you add a summit of Rocky Mountain to it!

It does need some energy to get there, but worth it!

Love it!

Amazing, beautiful worth the pain. Took my out of shape and bad knee 3.25 hours to top. Bucket list. Pace yourself. Tough trail especially when it’s icy.

Hiked the Incline yesterday. What an incredible workout. The incline was lightly snow covered with ice underneath in many spots so Yaktrax is a must. We were happy to have ours. The Barr trail on the way down was wonderful. Will do this again. 2:30 round trip was a nice comfortable pace for us.

This incline will test your cardio! I moved here a week ago from Florida and the elevation was ruthless for me. Made it to the top in 50 minutes and the view was immaculate. I highly recommend spikes for your boots this time of year, it was slippery at certain points on the stairs up and the same in the trail down. 10/10 would hike again.

Snow and ice on the incline, but still very doable. I would've liked my yaktraks on the way down the Barr trail. It took me 1 hr 26 minutes to make it to the top and less than an hour down the Barr trail. I've been in Colorado for about a month - the altitude was the biggest challenge.

WHAT A WORKOUT!!! Per the placard: 2768 steps, 2K elevation gain and .88 miles.

I am definitely out of shape and completed this in 53 minutes including a plethora of of water and quick bite breaks; after the 1800 mark I did a break every 200 steps until the 2500 mark.

There was some snow and a bit of ice on the left hand side of the stair (while going up) but nothing that made for trouble with just my vans outdoor shoes.