The Incline Trail and the Barr Trail

The Incline Trail and the Barr Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that features a great forest setting. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

The steps were snowy and icy toward the top, but manageable without traction devices. The descent on Barr trail was snowy and icy. This is the trail that will have finally pushed me over the edge to getting traction devices for my boots. I have wanted to climb this one for ages and I'm glad to cross it off the list. Even on a cold, snowy, Saturday afternoon, there were more people here then I see on almost any other trail around the state.

awesome stair workout with beautiful scenery!

Classic hike, friendly people on the route.

So when you bring a 13 and 10 year old up this trail, don’t expect enthusiasm. I am their “bonus” mom aka stepmom and thought this would be a great bonding moment. You know because tormenting your loved ones offspring will never create animosity. Anyways...they made it! Did it in a hour and 15 min so not bad for other people’s kids. It was snowy and slick and they fell a lot (funny to watch) but we’re pretty stoked once they made. They vowed to never do it again. I vowed (secretly) to bring them back every December 29....imagine evil stepmom laugh here.

Extremely hard but totally worth it once you get to the top.

Hardest thing I’ve ever done- but worth it to do! I felt very accomplished. The Barr trail down was nice with lots of pretty views.

Hardest trail I've ever done

Great and amazing hike, but as it currently is, it really is putting far too much stress on Barr Trail. Looking forward to the new descent trail. Personally I enjoy descending on the Incline, but I get why many don’t.

Hard but worth it:)

Greatest, cleaned and well maintained. Enjoy!

Up the incline and then a good run bombing down Barr is the ultimate Colorado workout.

It was an amazing climb. I did it for the first time 9 weeks after major surgery and cannot wait to go again. My friend and I used one shortened hiking pole which gave us extra leverage. We did it in 1:50 and we are both in our 60's. I personally thought the hike back down the Barr Trail was harder than the climb up the steps.

Definitely one of the hardest trails I’ve done in relation to incline over a short distance. I would recommend not climbing down the incline as I saw some people slipping.

Worth the effort! My legs will burn tomorrow!

It may have taken me 1 hr 52 minutes but I did it! First time .. I thought I was in decent shape but this 1 mile incline will test your will to keep going. The views as you go up are incredible! I did the Barr Trail down and it was spectacular as well.
Will I do the incline again .. absolutely!

Do not drink a lot of water before you go .. especially if you’re not use to the elevation. I saw a handful of people puking.

So and steady wins the race .. the journey is worth it!

worth the pain

Challenging but great fun!!

this was a 40th birthday present to myself and a non scale victory, I climbed this losing -210lb to get to the top and take the trail down! what a view & workout!

Had a blast! Jogged up in around 40 minutes
Jogged down the stairs in 32. Out and back in 1:12 hour(s). The stairs vary in steepness and height so it’s tricky to run down, I learned from watching other people to turn sideways. Take breaks, wear sunscreen and drink lots of water

super hard but definitely one to add to your "completed" list

Very tough hike!
Definitely one I will not forget

Love this hike!!

The incline is a quad burner but so is Barr trail if you run down. Be careful though if you do. I had a few slips because of loose scree. Overall, if you take your time the are great views. You'll definitely feel accomplished when you're back to the trailhead.

I have done this hike twice and although it is challenging, it is so rewarding getting to the top! Barrs trail down is nice. We jogged down most of it! highly recommend!

That was a hard trip up and nice walk down w the Barr trail. Highly recommend being hydrated before doing this!!!

This trail is very difficult and so rewarding. I highly reccomend doing this if you are in great shape and if not, be prepared to do your best and make it to the top another year. The views are stunning all the way up. I hope you aren't afraid of heights as the stairs get very steep.

Definitely not for beginners, as my amateur self and husband found out the hard way haha, but SO worth it ! Awesome challenge . Take your time , stay hydrated and snack light to stay energized .

Everyone should do the Incline at least once while in Colorado. Challenging but so rewarding! Bring water, wear hiking boots, pack light!

The incline is HARD! Took me about an hour and 15 minutes to get up the incline. The 4 miles down barr trail is easy peasy after that!!you feel very accomplished after you look back at all the steps you’ve climbed! The steps are very uneven - some are really really short and some are really high - your legs are burning by the top!!

A fun challenging hike up the incline! We made it in about 45 minutes up the incline and then took the Barr Trail down.

we brought a small picnic with us and enjoyed lunch up at the top.