The Incline Trail and the Barr Trail

The Incline Trail and the Barr Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that features a great forest setting. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

stretch, you won't regret it

Loved it

2nd attempt.

good one.

I wanted to beat my record from 3 summers ago. I did 40 minutes from the bottom to top of the stairs the last time I did this. Today, I have no idea what happened with me, I have been hiking and trail running every week for the last 2 years but I started feel like vomited and felt like I was going to pass out. Maybe because of the humidity. The temperature was perfect(75F) and thought I was going to be able to get this done in 35 minutes. NO! I underestimated myself. This was definitely HARD one. I will try back next year to beat my 1st record. Make sure to go early, bring sweets to get your energy going. COLD water is the must!

Wow - I read how intense this climb was, saw it was rated hard...but it was even more strenuous then I anticipated. It was tremendous!! So glad I battled all the way up. Trail is well maintained, people were all encouraging and the views were well worth the journey. Do it!!

Going up is challenging but worth it

The incline trail was very challenging for 2 flatlanders in their 60s but we made it up in 1 hr 20 min. Going up the view wasn’t very good since all we looked at was our feet. Just kidding... we took frequent breaks and the view of CO springs was fantastic. My only regret was not wearing my heart rate monitor. The Barre trail down should be rated moderate by comparison.

it was definitely challenging! I'm somewhat athletic and I had a difficult time doing it. by the time I got to the top my legs were so tired! stairs get steeper as you go and they get wider and higher in spots. go early in the morning. we went around 1130am and it started raining, thundering, and lightening around 1215pm while still on the incline. took me about an hour to do it. the trail is way longer to take back, wish we just took the stairs down. definitely worth it, views are amazing, and it's a pretty cool experience overall

It became very difficult by the time I got to the last few hundred steps, but it was so worth it! I’m glad I did it! Take lots of water. I drank all 2 liters out of my hydration pack just before the summit. Saw lots of cute chipmunks on my way up!

Amazing trail. Very challenging, but well worth it.

Awesome! I was fairly early but It quickly got to 100 plus degrees, but it was still fun. A lady behind me got heat exhaustion, so be careful.. bring a lot of water and sunscreen, and hat because it is very exposed. If you have health issues or physical Limits, be very careful, as folks have died trying this. I would go as early as I can. Parking can take time, as it was very busy.

The steps are
Numbered every 100,
And that helps to pace yourself.
The top is 2768 approx.
Dogs are not allowed. I think it’s the best idea, even though I hated leaving my sidekick at home.
There is not a lot of shade esp on the second half. The back half is steeper. There is a false Summit. Then, the top is not too far From There. You can take the Barr Trail down for a few
Miles with switchbacks and great views or go back down the incline. I did the trail this time to grab some Shade.

One of my all time favorites! If you are healthy and like to challenge yourself, this is a phenomenal hike. If you or your hiking buddies have bad knees, please pick a different trail. There are too many others to choose from that won't stress health limitations.

Love this hike - in small doses. I wouldn’t call it “enjoyable”, as much as “excruciating” or “brutal.” If taken for what it is (meaning a butt kicking or challenge), then it is rewarding and enjoyable (once you get to the top).

As difficult as the ascent is, its a nice, scenic easy stroll down a few miles of switchbacks to get back to your car.

Definitely glad I did this one.. worth the bragging rights. But man, it is a really difficult ascent..

I definitely underestimated this trail at first. Pacing is really important as this trail is longer than it looks. Very fun though ! When heading Down the back of the mountain there are also some very nice views

This is a truly strenuous hike, but a great workout. Bring plenty of water and a hat/sunscreen, as The Incline is very exposed. While most people either go straight back down once they reach the top or cut over from the top to the Barr Trail, it is worth continuing straight at the top and adding in a relatively flat 1.1 miles that affords beautiful views of Pike's Peak and other nearby peaks. This additional 1.1 miles is also very lightly trafficked: on the Monday that I did The Incline there were dozens of people on that trail, but I saw no one else until I got back to the junction on Barr Trail that leads back up to the top of The Incline.

recorded incline #2