Learn more

The Incline Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,922 feet Route Type: Loop

The trail is the remains of a cog railway that went to the top of Manitou Mountain. The trail gains about 2000 feet of elevation in about a mile. Imagine climbing a rough uneven set of stairs that's a mile long. There is a bail out about half way up that will put you on Barr Trail. Beware of the false summit just past the bail out. Once you're at the top you can hike back down the incline, or turn south and hike or run back down Barr Trail. The view from the top over Colorado Springs is worth the effort. This is a great trail for training and it is what most people use it for.

closed

This is an awesome trail in terms of providing a great workout and views but be aware that it is currently closed (even though people do it on the sly) and the city of Manitou say that they will fine individuals over $1,000 if they are caught.

Has to be one of the unique. Crowded.

Definitely not easy. But totally worth the view! Make sure to bring water. Going back down, I recommend taking the Barr trail, I usually jog it since it’s all downhill. Going back down the stairs is very hard on the knees, since they’re steep.

It’s sort of open to the public, you aren’t being stopped but I would suggest going early bc I think later they are policing the amount of people that go. Trail is in great shape and it’s awesome to do with less people!

We parked in the pay to park area for $10. We started walking to the starting spot but were told by others that there was some sort of law enforcement threatening a $2600 fine if we went to the start but he apparently said we could take the Barr trail up to the bailout and continue from there. So, we took the Barr trail to the bailout and connected to the Incline. Though it's far more difficult than it looks to ascend those steps, I'm incredibly happy I did (even if I only did the top half of them). The view from the top is amazing and you'll feel quite the accomplishment when you reach it.

Must be prepared. Dogs not allowed, don’t break this rule. Strenuous but amazing.

closed

Still closed. Cops at the bottom giving out tickets for trespassing now.

Wow. Definitely a work out!

closed

Took this today for the first time and holy shit was it a hard one, but so worth it! Hope it opens soon don’t know how the state can literally close nature

Great trail very strenuous as you start getting closer to the top. Bring water snacks and try to get there early to avoid the intensity of the sun. Parking is also limited so it’s better to arrive earlier for closer spots rather then park several blocks away.

icy

such a challenging and rewarding trail! took me about an hour to get to the top. it had just snowed the day before so the steps were snow packed, spikes can be helpful but not necessary, I didn't wear spikes on the way up, but but them on for the Barr trail on the way down. the first half of the Barr Trail was icy and snow covered, and the last half was wet and slushy.

Great trail. We hiked it with snow coming down. It was very physically demanding but would do it again. Great views!

First time, Pretty tough but I made it.

Great trail, tough, take your time going up! We took the Barr trail back down and the views were beautiful!

I’ve done this one 4 times & love it! Such a great accomplishment

A few stairs on the way up, winding trail on the way down

That's a tough hike! Maybe I am just saying that because my dad was slow on the incline, it had snow, and I started in the afternoon and ended at night. Otherwise, it was a very great hike. There was a marker for every 100 steps! That helped me quantify how close I was to the end. My dad and I had a lot of fun! On the way down taking the Barr Trail, you could slide down parts of it! So much fun! I want to do it every four years on Leap Day again!

Kicked my butt, but totally worth it. SO glad I had crampons this time, they made a world of difference on the Barr trail getting down. There are a couple pretty slick spots on the way up that I briefly needed them for, as well.

This was so hard but oh so great. My favorite part was coming down on this one was not a huge fan of just going up the steps. Rewarding but it wasn’t peaceful and beautiful. Haha.