The Incline Trail

HARD 1,217 reviews

The Incline Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

1938 feet

The trail is the remains of a cog railway that went to the top of Manitou Mountain. The trail gains about 2000 feet of elevation in about a mile. Imagine climbing a rough uneven set of stairs that's a mile long. There is a bail out about half way up that will put you on Barr Trail. Beware of the false summit just past the bail out. Once you're at the top you can hike back down the incline, or turn south and hike or run back down Barr Trail. The view from the top over Colorado Springs is worth the effort. This is a great trail for training and it is what most people use it for.

25 minutes ago

Beautiful views and definitely a work out! Pack your inhaler!

My Girlfriend and I completed this monster on 4/20/18! It was definitely a work out and the change in altitude was intense! First time in Colorado and doing a hike! The trail down was breathtaking as well! We Walked and Jogged it!

Well for one thing it's longer than 3.3 miles the Incline it self is 1.2 miles and the loop down is one of the most Breathtaking 4 mile hikes down you will ever travel... CONQUERED THIS BEAST 4/16/18

A very strenuous workout but well worth the view! Use Barr Trail to go down and for amazing scenery.

Amazing workout. You can use the Barr trail to hike down.

Always a good time

Definitely a strenuous climb! Take lots of breaks and water because the view and accomplishment at the top is totally worth it!!!

Very beautiful hike. Is a must do thing. Must be very good shape to climb. A lots of steps.

The first time I did the incline was just a week after I had moved here from texas, so it was tough. I workout regularly so this is a nice way to get my cardio. The feeling of accomplishment when you make it to the top is amazing!! This is definitely not a hike but a serious workout. I always take Barr trail on the way down to add some miles. I recommend it!!

Here’s my wonderful review of the Incline. As many have said, it’s an amazing workout. I would say that you should be in half way decent shape to attempt this. It was not entirely fun, to be honest, and I would say that if you’re wanting to go for a hike, then this is not the trail you’re looking for- try the Barr Trail. I have a piece of advice that I wish someone had told me: do NOT go down the same way: this intersects with the Barr trail at the top & halfway mark & you should use that to make your descent

Talk about a workout.. it’s quite the trek, but reaching the top is such an accomplishment. NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED!

Great workout! The improvements are awesome!

Super cardio workout! Not a trail for visitors that haven’t acclimated. Hard on the knees if you go back down the incline due to the Barr trail being iced over.

Love the challenge every time I go. Park in manitou and take the free bus up

Great workout. Been in CO about 2 months and it’s one of our favorite things so far. Definitely pack lots of water.

Great “hike”. I’ll be honest, and I got altitude sickness, so for newcomers/first timers bring water/a snack for the top. Always busy so expect traffic. Things I didn’t like, parking, but there is a lot and shuttle you can take.
Also please DONT listen to your music and play it for the whole trail to hear. You are ruining the hike for everyone and no wants to hear your trap tunes! (Sorry, rant for the day, I’m done!)

I've been in Colorado for 4 years but, in Manitou Springs for 3. I started doing it after I got here but, hated it and quit after about 30 climbs. I got serious again with it about 2 months ago and do it 6 times a week at 5:20am. As of yesterday my 81st trip up and down is in the books...it also helps that the walk from my front door is about a mile to incline trailhead!

Great workout. Started at 6:30 and got to see great view of sunrise. Very few people on the trail that early. Great 60 min morning hike

Extreme workout. Hydrate hydrate hydrate.

Love the incline! Great leg workout!

Rough going at first but worth it

Its an amazing view.
Everyone is so friendly and encouraging.
Going to try to make this a weekly event for my family.

great cardio workout and scenery

Very challenging!! Definitely should have worked out more before!! Views are beautiful but the sense of accomplishment at the top is worth the pain!

Haven't been here in 17 years. Went up in January and it was intense with amazing views. Walk down felt like it took longer, watch out for trail runners on your way down.
Cant wait to do it in the summer.

It’s a must do. Was my first time today and damn what a workout

amazing. definitely a workout more than a hike

love the exercise you get out of it. best time is early in the morning.

Very challenging. Love all the work at the beginning and then the easy walk down.