The Incline Trail

The Incline Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The trail is the remains of a cog railway that went to the top of Manitou Mountain. The trail gains about 2000 feet of elevation in about a mile. Imagine climbing a rough uneven set of stairs that's a mile long. There is a bail out about half way up that will put you on Barr Trail. Beware of the false summit just past the bail out. Once you're at the top you can hike back down the incline, or turn south and hike or run back down Barr Trail. The view from the top over Colorado Springs is worth the effort. This is a great trail for training and it is what most people use it for.

Very hard, very worth it. Don’t bring your dog, it’s too much for them. The steps take about an hour, and then it’s a nice leisurely walk down the Barr trail. Beautiful!

The trail is mostly clear with some icy sections towards the top,my regular trail shoes handled it just fine. We took the bar trail back down since the ice was making me nervous. But if you have crampons/yaktrax then no worries. Wasn’t busy on a Sunday afternoon. We took our sweet time and did it 2.5 round trip. Love the views and workout.

Hiked 12/8/18 - Conditions were great. a few sections of ice/snow but mostly dry. No traction needed...just expect to be more careful on the small sections that are ice/snow covered. Hiked it with full winter loadout and completed the incline section of the route in 54 minutes. Then we took our time going down the Barr Trail. This is a great workout hike and even better if you add a summit of Rocky Mountain to it!

It does need some energy to get there, but worth it!

Love it!

Amazing, beautiful worth the pain. Took my out of shape and bad knee 3.25 hours to top. Bucket list. Pace yourself. Tough trail especially when it’s icy.

Hiked the Incline yesterday. What an incredible workout. The incline was lightly snow covered with ice underneath in many spots so Yaktrax is a must. We were happy to have ours. The Barr trail on the way down was wonderful. Will do this again. 2:30 round trip was a nice comfortable pace for us.

This incline will test your cardio! I moved here a week ago from Florida and the elevation was ruthless for me. Made it to the top in 50 minutes and the view was immaculate. I highly recommend spikes for your boots this time of year, it was slippery at certain points on the stairs up and the same in the trail down. 10/10 would hike again.

Snow and ice on the incline, but still very doable. I would've liked my yaktraks on the way down the Barr trail. It took me 1 hr 26 minutes to make it to the top and less than an hour down the Barr trail. I've been in Colorado for about a month - the altitude was the biggest challenge.

WHAT A WORKOUT!!! Per the placard: 2768 steps, 2K elevation gain and .88 miles.

I am definitely out of shape and completed this in 53 minutes including a plethora of of water and quick bite breaks; after the 1800 mark I did a break every 200 steps until the 2500 mark.

There was some snow and a bit of ice on the left hand side of the stair (while going up) but nothing that made for trouble with just my vans outdoor shoes.

Great hike!

I hiked this on 11/2/18 starting out at 10:30 and made it to the top in about one hour. I am an avid hiker and have hiked several 14ers here in CO. This hike was definitely an ass kicker even for someone that works out almost daily! Take plenty of water and be prepared for snow and ice this time of year. It’s really slippery and muddy heading down!

This trail was fantastic but we went the day after it snowed and as the steps narrowed and got higher in between each step, the ice was thicker. It was still amazing but would absolutely think twice about hiking when icy.

It is a great hike. Can't wait to do it again on the next trip out.

Very hard on the way up. Not sure if I’d suggest running down the trail. It’s fairly steep at some points.

Great hike! I will be back for the incline and continue to pikes peak and back.

Intense.

Great hike, great workout. View at the top is worth it. Took our group around an hour to get to the top of the stairs and another hour and twenty minutes to hike back down Barr trail.

best starter hike in colorado

Mentally and physically challenging!! Don’t give up, best reward is to get to the top!

Don’t give up! It is the best feeling ever when you get to the top❤️

Love this hike!!

So much fun!!!

If you aren't used to the altitude or a high cardio work out, this is a ass-kicker.

Great workout, lots of people doing the incline today, young and old. Positive vibes all around!

Your heart rate will skyrocket as soon as you start. It's a sufferfest, but I love it every time. Be sure to plan out when you go. It can get really crowded. Be sure to have enough water too. The views from the top are totally worth the effort. Type 2 fun at its best.

Love this hike. Saw my first chipmunk here. Made it up in 45 minutes with one safety meeting on the way up. Two more at the top then ran down barr trail. 1.5 hours total.

What an awesome trail. It took us an hour and 50 minutes to get to the top (took plenty of breaks) and then another hour to get down the switchback trail. I would suggest parking at 10 Old Mans Trail and taking the shuttle up to the stairs. You save $10 and the lot at the top that charges $10 was full by 7am when we arrived. Also bring money if you want to purchase some fresh lemonade or something at the shop!

Intense. Rewarding. Everything I was told it would be and then some. As an avid Coloradan hiker, this hike certainly tested me. But it’s doable for most. Take as many rests as you need and treat step 1800 as a long breakpoint. I made it up in about an hour and down the switchback trail another hour after that. What a hike!