The Incline Trail

The Incline Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

2020 feet

The trail is the remains of a cog railway that went to the top of Manitou Mountain. The trail gains about 2000 feet of elevation in about a mile. Imagine climbing a rough uneven set of stairs that's a mile long. There is a bail out about half way up that will put you on Barr Trail. Beware of the false summit just past the bail out. Once you're at the top you can hike back down the incline, or turn south and hike or run back down Barr Trail. The view from the top over Colorado Springs is worth the effort. This is a great trail for training and it is what most people use it for.

4 minutes ago

Start early, there is no shade and the temperature gets high quickly. Hydrate!

The incline part of the trail is physically challenging if you keep a good pace. The down side is so beautiful with a lot of great photo ops.

INCLINE CLOSED!!! Drove from AZ to hike it but no worries, we did The Barr Trail instead and it was a great workout. Now off for a craft beer.

Did this hike last year with my hubby and it was awesome! Great workout and views! My thighs were definitely sore the next day! ;-)

Super exciting beautiful views. Had to work up to completing 1st time made it half way 2nd time made it all the way. So worth it. just take your time and pace yourself. Be aware of the cost of parking around the incline... rather pricey in my opinion. There was a lot that was free that I learned about after I had paid to park. Srry can't remeber the name.

Not sure of the duration, but Incline Trail is closed for maintenance as of Sept 16. It looked like a pretty extensive project (replacing some of the ties/steps, so recommend checking if you plan on trying it anytime prior to Oct 1. There are no signs in the parking lot, so make sure you check before you cough up the $40.

You must pace yourself, especially when you are 70

Sorry folks, Wally World is closed for cleaning and repairs.

This trial is extremely difficult, although it's short it's straight up hill and very steep! The trail is basically an old railroad track so you are climbing up railroad ties the whole time (imagine a stair stepper in steroids). There is a FALSE SUMMIT. So don't let that hurt your morale. The view is amazing at the top. I recommend taking the Barr trail down, although it's longer, it's much safer than trying to get down the stairs especially with the heavy crowds. Btw - it's almost always crowded,
but it's a must do! You'll be glad you did! Anyone easily prone to altitude sickness it's probably not the best choice! Take lots of water, like MORE than ONE water bottle! SERIOUSLY!

I've done it multiple times and would do it again.

Steep and hard. Crowded most of the time. Terrible parking. All that said, glad I did it (twice). Took Barr down as you should too.

Great View, work a lot of your legs. Haha

it's basically straight up the side of a mountain. I consider myself in pretty good shape but I live in Chicago. This is definitely challenging to the lungs and you need to take frequent stops to catch your breath but it's definitely worth it. The parking lot is pretty small so you may need to park in Manitou and walk to the trail. It's very easy to get to and you could see it from miles away. walking back around the loop is a nice track but don't try to shortcut. We tried and ended up having to go back the way we came because we hit a cliff. Breathtaking views all around even on the way down.

This is by far the hardest hike I have done so far. It was my absolute favorite too! I'm from PA, so the elevation was hard for me, but I made it to the top and it was breathtaking! It was VERY difficult, but worth it. I started this with two family members and a friend (all from PA), all of them turned around and went back after 15 minuets. I'm so happy that I continued along. I met some of the nicest people who I tagged along with and saw the most beautiful view of CO. I was told to take the Bare trail down to the bottom, and I'm glad I did. The trail on the way down had so many beautiful sites and views. I would recommend this trail/hike to anyone who is in good physical condition. (it really is extremely difficult)

The incline is close to a mile trail up to the top. If your not in shape and acclimated to the altitude,it will kick your butt. There is a false summit that will make you think you have about made it, Nope, you still have a ways to go. Dont take the early bailout or the wimpout spot. Follow through with what you started, you will be glad ya did. Bring plenty of water and if you get a late start, definitely bring a flashlight or headlamp.

this was the hardest trail I have done to date. I loved the challenge. I brought snacks and a back
pack if water. worth the view at the very top. took my cousin and I nearly 3 hours to get up. this was our first time.