The Grottos Trail

The Grottos Trail is a 1.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 108 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

The roads to reach this trailhead are subject to weather related closures. Please check ahead of time.

Not many signs to know where you’re going but fun area to explore!

Beautiful rock formations- ice cave , cascades. Signage is a bit sparse, but leaves room for exploration!

couldn’t get anywhere because trees were down

This short little “hike” is pretty easy but does get rocky in parts. I brought my corgi and had to carry him up a few places. But an absolutely beautiful pay-off at the end!

Great trail, beautiful views of waterfall and surrounding mountains. You might have to climb over a log and walk through a stream so waterproof shoes or backup socks come in handy.

Great hike - options on either side of the river to reach the falls. I say river for what might normally be a creek—- but the massive runoff from the big winter is starting- and the water is running fast and strong . Winter avalanche took out a lot of trail but you can work your way around to reach “caves” on far side of river. Beautiful all around!

Beautiful. We had to hike around a bit to find the ice caves due to avalanche. But, got to climb on some rocks and see the powerful waterfall.

The ice caves are amazing but be prepared to hike through snow and downed trees to get there. The trail is not visible after you start and it took us about an hour to find the caves. Once inside the views are spectacular but you have to crawl on ice to get into the caves and then slide on your butt to get out. You can not go all the way inside due to melting ice and dangerous conditions. After all the ice melts (most likely later in the summer) the views inside would be breathtaking!

The road is closed thru May, but I parked and hiked on the road to this destination. Even though it’s a short hike, I didn’t get to see any of the rock formations I came to see. I definitely needed snow shoes as I would be walking on top of the snow, then sink to my knee. Like snow quicksand. Also, VERY fresh bear tracks, right at the start of the trail, by the restrooms and over the bridge. In addition there are lots of trees down from maybe avalanche damage? No service and solo were other factors

Super easy hike. Gorgeous views!

Worthwhile! Great lunch spot followed by a rewarding and short walk. We didn’t make it to the end- just did the loop and still lots to see.

Really unique area to explore! Not a real hike but definitely still worth a stop.

Definitely worth a stop! The waterfall alone is worth the short walk. There are also picnic tables right at the parking lot next to the stream for an easy picnic lunch. Parking lot is one minute from the road at the most....

Lovely views of the river and cascades- lots of picturesque scenes. Not a long or challenging hike- you’d mostly be going for the views!

It’s fine. Not a hike. A great spot to stop, have some lunch, and dip your toes in the refreshing mountain water. Very poorly marked trails, so you just kinda wander around.

Great stop for kids to explore.

Very easy and short hike to amazing views. Absolutely gorgeous! Waterfalls, river, tons of beautiful rocks, even a cave to go down into. Great places to have a picnic too! Favorite hike so far!

Pretty trail but very confusing. There are a lot of trails and we couldn’t find the actual cave till we ran into a park ranger and she told us where to go. We eventually found it not far from the start but would have never found it without the rangers help.

Beautiful waterfalls. Nice hike.

Nice easy hike. If you take the first trail to the left before the bridge, it leads you to a picnic table to view the Cascades. But we went straight crossed the bridge and walked up and over the big rock to find people climbing down into the Grottos. My nine year old climbed down just fine. Hiking up over the grottos we crossed a small bridge that lead us to the upper part of the Cascades waterfall. Nice view. Cold water. Picnic tables around at base of Cascades.

More of a walk than a hike and was fairly busy. It's an easy one but with some great highlights. The trail is kind of hard to follow exactly because there's so many well worn off shooting paths. Try and stay on trail as much as you can to get to the Grottos/ice caves. From there, keep going straight, cross the bridge, then stay slightly left/straight (don't go right) to reach the Cascades (very pretty waterfall that has multiple pools and levels). It's such a short, easy hike that you're unlikely to get lost if you follow the numerous trails, it just makes it more time consuming to find the sights you're there for. Would definitely recommend going early because the parking lot gets kind of full. Plus, it will be less crowded earlier in the day.

Friday, July 13, 2018

more of a walk than a hike. worth it for the scenery

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Waterfall was tricky to find, take a left after the bridge & go up and over the rocks until you see a picnic table by the water & then there’s a clearly marked trail or take the easy level path BEFORE the bridge

Sunday, July 01, 2018

take the left fork after the bridge for the caves and use mosquitos repellent. several mosquitos got me good.

Monday, June 04, 2018

Embarrassing, but I was a little confused. I parked, crossed the bridge, and followed the trail over the bridge. Lots of fallen trees and it ended at the river across from the campground. I’m thinking you take a left once you cross the bridge. I did a rock scramble and ended up making it though. Very beautiful!

Monday, June 04, 2018

There are tons of trails that lead all over. Something like a microburst appears to have happened and covered a lot of the designated trail. We found our way. Great hike!

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Very easy hike; more of a walk. Beautiful, though! We got there early on a Saturday & there weren’t a lot of people.