The Crags Trail

The Crags Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Sometimes granite erodes horizontally into monumental slabs resembling stacks of gigantic red pancakes. Not too far away the same kind or rock erodes vertically into colossal collections of cusps, ready to take a bite out of any clouds that venture too close to the earth. A few miles south of Divide CO, this kind of rock formation is called "The Crags." The hike out to the granite dome (another kind of erosive pattern in this neck of the woods) from which you can view these stunning features is only two miles long. The trail is well marked (#664) and well travelled. In fact, this trek is so popular with area residents that the Forest Service just finished building a new trailhead parking area. Along the trail you'll pass through forests of enormous quaking aspen, and you'll trace the track of the beginnings of Four Mile Creek. At the end of the trail, you'll surmount a wind swept dome from which you can gaze at the Rampart Range, Ute Pass, and the whole of the Catamount Creeks drainage, including the blue reservoirs that capture and control their release. This is the perfect hike for newcomers to the Colorado Springs area, not too long and not too much altitude. You can make the four miles out and back in less than two hours, but only if you don't succumb to the temptation to remain on the top of the mountain gawking and the scenery and marveling at the brazen Whisky Jack Jays that populate the wind twisted Bristle Cone Pines.

Thanks

The view at the end was totally worth it! 7 miles round trip. The first and last mile in are the hardest.

Easy hike with a gorgeous rock features at the end!

Absolutely gorgeous trail with varied scenery. Minimal traffic (in November). Well marked until the very end where you scramble up the last Rocky bit to the 360° view - hold out till the end, it is well worth it.

Amazing views at the top and lots of fun boulders and caves for the kids to explore

Beautiful views when you finish...loved it!

Even in the fog it was spectacular!

This trail is a medium difficulty trail with a lot to offer. The start of the trail has you moving through a forest of Spruce, Fir, and Pine; half way through the trail you will start to see Aspen trees that have changed to their fall colors. Once you reach the Crags you are meet with great views of Pikes Peak, North and South Catamount Reservoir, Crystal Creek Reservoir, and of course The Crags themselves. Trail 360 on YouTube

This is always our first hike when we hit the area. It is easy to follow and has a variety of views. We hit it when the aspen turn and it is breathtaking at times. There is a moderate climb to the top of the crag, but well worth it on a clear day.

One of my favorite hikes, with Devil’s Head Fire Lookout taking first. The rock formations on this hike are amazing. Not sure why it’s rated moderate? It’s a very well maintained trail and it was pretty easy hike. Put this one on your list for sure!

Not too hard of a climb for the reward of AMAZING views at the top. Nice variety of terrain too. Really enjoyed this hike!

This is a great hike through varied terrain. Starts off steep through woods. Levels out in the middle beside cliffs and stands of aspen trees and then a final ascent up a rocky mountainside. All the way along a stream so nice for the pups. Breathtaking views at the top. Rest and take it all in before going back down. Overall not terribly difficult but it will raise your heart rate. Especially in the beginning stretch and up to the summit. The moderate rating is a fair assessment, me thinks. Early September mushroom explosion when I went and I imagine that the meadows were on fire with wildflowers only a couple weeks prior. I didn't see any dog poo but could really smell it in the meadows. Put this one on your to do list, for sure.

This is a great hike not too complicated. road to get there is a little bumpy but it's manageable. There's some nice opportunities for sightseeing especially in the open area and the arrival at the edge of the mountain. But don't stop there because if you go about another 10 minutes further the trail will end at the peak where the sites are spectacular. I brought my drone and was able to fly around and get some great footage. I probably wasn't supposed to do that but most people were very interested in learning about it verses telling me to stop. Once I get the video together I'll post it here. For the effort the reward is very high. Definitely recommend this hike.

was a great hike, came back down and found the banana rock trail and hiked it too..after having both hips replaced a year ago, the 2 hikes combined kicked my butt pretty good, but was well worth it!

Great hike. Very pretty during fall. Great views at the top.

I moved to Colorado in March and have been hiking as much as I can. This is my favorite hike I have been on so far (with or without my kids). The scenery was simply outstanding. Even better, my five year old was able to hike the entire trail unassisted.

The main downside was the condition of the road to access the trail. I recommend a medium clearance vehicle or lots of courage.

Simply one of the best in the Pikes Peak region!

Hands down my favorite hike so far! The trails were clean! The views were outstanding!

I wrote a whole blog post about this trail. You can read it here :)

My first hike in Colorado and it was perfect! We skipped the first section since we were camping in the Crags campground (well worth it! Beautiful campground. I suggest #7). The scenery at the top and all of the beautiful wildflowers were spectacular! I plan on taking the family next year!