The Crags Trail

The Crags Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Sometimes granite erodes horizontally into monumental slabs resembling stacks of gigantic red pancakes. Not too far away the same kind or rock erodes vertically into colossal collections of cusps, ready to take a bite out of any clouds that venture too close to the earth. A few miles south of Divide CO, this kind of rock formation is called "The Crags." The hike out to the granite dome (another kind of erosive pattern in this neck of the woods) from which you can view these stunning features is only two miles long. The trail is well marked (#664) and well travelled. In fact, this trek is so popular with area residents that the Forest Service just finished building a new trailhead parking area. Along the trail you'll pass through forests of enormous quaking aspen, and you'll trace the track of the beginnings of Four Mile Creek. At the end of the trail, you'll surmount a wind swept dome from which you can gaze at the Rampart Range, Ute Pass, and the whole of the Catamount Creeks drainage, including the blue reservoirs that capture and control their release. This is the perfect hike for newcomers to the Colorado Springs area, not too long and not too much altitude. You can make the four miles out and back in less than two hours, but only if you don't succumb to the temptation to remain on the top of the mountain gawking and the scenery and marveling at the brazen Whisky Jack Jays that populate the wind twisted Bristle Cone Pines.

Great hike with tremendous views at the top. Difficult for the first half mile and the last half mile but pretty easy in between.

Picked a beautiful day to hike up to the Crags! It is an easy trail as long as you stop to catch some air & enjoy the views of the amazing rock formations. The view at the end is well worth it & plus meeting new folks from other places! You will not be disappointed!!

Beautiful. Well kept trail.

Beautiful trail! Beginning is a semi steep climb that gets your heart pumping esp if not used to the altitude. From there a nice rolling trail. Some shaded then a section that opens up to a meadow. Last half mile is another climb to a fantastic 360 view! Road to the trailhead is narrow and rough but my small SUV handled it.

Beautiful view at the end. Worth the hike. However, my recording said we walked 6.8 miles on this trail.

Gorgeous views...breathtaking! My family came down on the wrong trail from the top and was tricky to find our way back to the trail. Beginning and end got our heart rates up but it was not too bad for our Kansas crew. We really enjoyed this hike!

Great hike to pikes peak. Awesome views!

Great hike with my dog. Was frustrated by some off-leash dog owners. The parent rock easily erodes into pebbles, so the trail is covered with beautiful, large-crystal gravel. That makes most of the trail great for hiking, but also makes the descent from the vista a bit tricky. It also means that there are a ton of animal paths and waterways that (when dry) look like official trails. The trail is totally unmarked (no cairns, blazes, or signage after the first 0.4 mile or so). It’s pretty easy to follow until the climb towards the end. It wasn’t too difficult to find my way, but I was definitely off-trail accidentally a good bit. Pay attention going up so you have familiar landmarks to look for going down!

One of the best trails in the area, beautiful

Amazing trail! Overall moderate, not highly trafficked, and beautiful views everywhere! Highly suggest!

Fantastic trail with beautiful rock formations and amazing views at the top. Vault toilets at the trailhead (very clean when we were there). It ended up being a litle over 5 miles. Watch out for afternoon storms in the summer. Overly friendly chipmunks at the top looking for hiker goodies.

Our family loved this trail! We have 4 children who were aged 5-15 at the time and we made it easily to the top. Amazing views, worth the hike!

Worth every step!

I’m not an expert but this was a challenging and varied hike. As another post mention, it’s a nice climb thru forest, then a nice walk thru a valley, then a climb to the top. Perfect. As you get close to the top, it appears as if someone created the beautiful and interesting rock formations there. Really cool. But then you do reach the top and it’s wow! 360 views and places to sit and enjoy. And your high up. Must do.

This is a fun little trail to see some really unique rock formations. Would definitely recommend to anyone whose in that area.

Love this trail. Great views and diverse terrain.

Great views along the way with enough effort put in to really make the end of the hike and descent worth it!

I have been up The Crags every year for almost 28 years. It is enjoyable for all ages and offers amazing views throughout the hike and breathtaking views at the top. I believe for the ease of access from Colorado Springs and shorter mileage, it has one of the best effort to reward ratios for hikes in Colorado

The trail can be broken into three sections if wondering good times to take resting stops.
Section 1 - Steep climb for about ~.5 miles
Section 2 - Nice easy valley and longest section ~1 mile.
Section 3 - Steep climb to scenic top view for about ~.5 miles. There is a good lookout point about halfway up on this part and is called Lovers Lookout I believe (that's what we call it).

Note: The beginning part is now longer. You use to start at the campgrounds but they added a new trail head and opening section with parking lot and bathrooms. My GPS watch showed that the hike is around ~5.50 miles instead of the 4.8 listed above.

Enjoy!

Very well maintained easy going hike

I did this hike with my 12yo daughter and her friend; it was perfect! Enough shade to keep them from complaining about the sun, rocks to climb on during the hike, and the view from the top made them both exclaim "Thank you for taking us! This was SO worth it!"

was a beautiful hike. lots of wild flowers along the way and the view at the top was awesome! well worth it..

Great little hike for great views!

I love this trail. I used to hike the Crags often in middle/high school (2002-2007 ish) and this was the first time I've been back since. I was very surprised to see how much the trailheads have changed - nothing like what I remember. This led me to make the mistake of starting out at the Crags/Devils Playground trailhead - don't do that. The first quarter mile is suuuuuper steep. Instead, keep driving past that trailhead til the road dead ends - this is the trailhead you want. Unless you enjoy the steepness - in that case, you do you. Once I met up with the original Crags trail, it was exactly as I remembered. Amazing the whole way with the finale at the top. I clocked 7.1 miles on my fitness tracker on my phone but we did explore off trail quite a bit. It was a Wednesday so we only saw about four other people the entire time. Enjoy!!

Love this trail! Not my first time here. Even though the first section is quite steep, the smells of the pine forest are rejuvenating! Our FitBits gave us 6 miles round trip but maybe we wandered around a bit...

Beautiful hike, especially prior to sunset provided you can move fast enough to make it back down before the sun gets too low. As noted by others the toughest parts are at beginning and end, and overall this is an easy to moderate trail with fantastic views and photo opportunities.

Loved this hike. So pretty and a fun one for the kids!

scenic driving

Just a great hike with really amazing views from the top. I have it clocked closer to 5.8 miles. I would rate it easy/moderate. The elevation is at the beginning and the very end.
Today there were quite a few really slushy areas that at times were a bit difficult to traverse. I would highly recommend poles or light crampons. A lot of people in sneakers that were regretting their decision. Wet feet are not fun.
The road was fine. I appreciated my 8 in clearance but it was not necessary.

Starts alittle steep from the trailhead, but levels out into a great valley.. my 8 year old and I had a blast on this hike.. lots of things to look at and enjoy colorado.

Went on New Year’s Day and would love to return in the summer - only complaint is that it’s too short in my opinion. ;)