The Colorado Trail: North Cottonwood Creek to Chalk Creek Trailhead

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(25)
Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

The Colorado Trail: North Cottonwood Creek to Chalk Creek Trailhead is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until November.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,279 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice views at the end. Not technical, but vertical. Glad I had trekking poles.

Mon Jul 02 2018

Moderate-hard. No creek at end

Wed Jun 20 2018

NOT EASY! This trail should be rated as moderate. Roughly 1300’ ascent up narrow bench cuts with loose rock and gravel making up most of the trail bed. My young kids (5 and 8) made the entire trip but it was slow going. Otherwise, great views every once in a while and great exercise. Chalk Creek was non-existent at the end of this section though.

Sun Oct 08 2017

For the adventurous...take the right fork and head up to Horn Fork Basin. Camping is usually available right after treeline and you sit underneath Columbia and Harvard. Probably my fave camp spot even if you don't bag the 14ers.

Sat May 06 2017

Pretty woods. Nice climb. Not too had for someone in moderate shape. I got stopped by snow right before the top in early May.

Thu Oct 16 2014

I hiked a portion of this trail in early October. It's a great trail to enjoy the fall foliage. Near the beginning of the trail I saw a small body of water with what appeared to be a beaver dam in the center. Then I saw two moose emerge and drink from the water! I thoroughly enjoyed this hike although I wasn't able to complete it due to time constraints.

recorded Recording - Jun 27, 1:34 PM