Tenderfoot and Oro Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(218)
Silverthorne, Colorado

Tenderfoot and Oro Trail Loop is a 3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Silverthorne, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 649 feet Route Type: Loop

Easy to follow and well maintained trail. 3 stars for the views, it’s a fine trail for some exercise. Minus 2 stars for the road noise. Too close to 6 & I70.

Awesome view, ok trail. Did a nice loop.

Nice, quick hike. You can hear the highway. The side coming down if you go counter-clockwise has some downed trees, so maybe wouldn't be good for mountain biking, but very manageable on foot.

Lovely trail! Lost it a few times due to snow and had to follow footsteps. Did ok without yak yaks. The snow was knee deep in spots but passable.

Still some deep snow in spots but passable without snowshoes.

Tenderfoot Trail and all north-facing slopes were still very snowy on 4/11 (following a week of warm weather and no snow). I attempted with Yak Trax only, but postholed on all north-facing slopes. It's wasn't possible to complete the loop shown here, or to summit Tenderfoot, without snowshoes. Note the mountain looked hikeable from the road, but actually wasn't. I would wait a couple weeks of warm weather after the last heavy snow.

Did the full loop in snowshoes in 2 1/2 hrs, with one person not acclimated to the elevation. A few muddy or icy parts but once you’re in the woods it’s deep snow. Beautiful view of the mountains and serene snowy woods. Not terribly well-marked; thank goodness for the AllTrails map!

It was a fun trail. Easy to see. Only issue I had was finding the start point. My gps took me the wrong way. Basically go to the start of the frisbee golf location and head left.

Completed without snowshoes. The trail continued over a ridge and connected to a well-marked loop (marked on OCM layer) that we were pleasantly surprised to find. Edit: just realized that the Oro Trail Loop is a thing.

Somewhere between easy and moderate, but second others reviews about a great hike to acclimate to the elevation for travelers. Great views and well maintained trail.

I started this hike to the left and did all the switchbacks before I came to the amazing gift at the top! Took me about two and a half hours and I saw a deer, a little fox and it was awesome!

Loved the wild flowers and shaded areas throughout the trail. Also the lake view is gorgeous! highly recommend. Overall it was a moderate hike with a few areas of difficulty and ease.

FANTASTIC FOR FALL! Aspens of all shades and sizes as well as vistas over reservoir and towns.

Gorgeous views! Not too crowded, good for dogs, and pretty mellow. Great payoff views for only 3 miles!

Same as most people- I recommend doing clockwise so that you're mostly in the shade on the way up and mostly exposed on the way down. I like the variety of this trail; there's wooded hiking, views, wildflowers (not so much anymore), and a gentle incline and decline.

nice hike for visitors, a few dirt bikers passed by, but otherwise beautiful hike.

Didi this as a kid in the 1980s

Nice hike. Definitely go clockwise.Incline ok. Lots of Forrest, some views. Did this AM, just one mountain biker. From summit down, wonderful vistas. Mountains , Dillon reservoir, great views of Breckenridge and Keystone. Definitely worth it as a moderate-easy, 2 hr AM hike with some really great views.

Had so much fun on this trail, I came expecting meh-views, but it turned out that every corner took my breath away. Great views of the ten mile range, and buffalo mountain. So many wild flowers too! (We also made the cool tee pee on the trail) 8/16/19

Excellent hike with incredible views of Lake Dillon along with the mountain ranges on the way up. The wildflowers are still in bloom on the entire trail. Did have a few sprinkles on the way back, but that was short lived. Several mountain bikers and 4 motorized dirt bikers along the way, Keep that in mind since trail itself is narrow pretty much the whole time. Note: There are multiple routes - we took USFS #9509, #9516 partial, then back to #9509 to the top of Tenderfoot Mountain Trail. Returned on the same route. #9516 was too steep for us, but looking at the map later, it does bring you down to the top of Tenderfoot Mountain Trail for the views of the lake.

Very good family trail. Clockwise is best with nice views on the hike down. Trail is well maintained. Also used by mountain bikes and need to occasionally let them pass. A good “starter” trail if in the area.

Part of trail shares with motorbikes.

Beautiful hike.. bicycles and motorcycle made it 4 stars as tough with kids and dog going around bikes .. do weekday to avoid next time

Really enjoyed this low-moderate trail. Definitely go clockwise - the ecosystem is totally different on the two sides and very exposed on the southwest side. Easier to go up in the shade, and you can enjoy the view more coming down.

Definitely go clockwise because you will get better views on the way down! If you are used to the altitude, this trail is on the easier side. The highway noise was not ideal, but the views were worth it.

Just finished the Tenderfoot loop. Followed the suggestions to go clockwise and glad I did. Got turned around once but made my way back to the main trail. Beautiful wildflowers. Was surprised by the amount of trees down I am guessing from the beetles. Not overly strenuous once you get past the first ascent. Would do it again!

Views were beautiful, but this is not my favorite trail in this area. The highway is visible, and we encountered some (rude) dirt bikers. (Apparently, they were allowed on the Oro trail that loops around.)

Definitely do the trail clockwise to have shade on the uphill. Fantastic views but some beetle kill. Lots of wildflowers this time of the year. Apparently Ore trail allows dirt bikes and I encountered a couple. Don't think dirt bikes belong on trails open to horses, hikers and mountain bikers.

I really enjoyed this trail. I hiked it clockwise as others suggested. The hike to the top was smooth singletrack. I was surprised to encounter both a dirt biker and a mountain biker. The views coming down were spectacular. One note. My Alltrails map helped me out tremendously. On my way up, the desired path was always take the trail on the right. On the way down, take the trail to the left.