Ten Mile Peak to Peak (Tenmile Range Traverse)

Ten Mile Peak to Peak (Tenmile Range Traverse) is a 21.1 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 21.1 miles Elevation Gain: 7,732 feet Route Type: Point to Point

rock climbing

This one was amazing! I’ve heard great things about it and also some scary things and it was all of both of them. Do NOT be fooled, this is not for the faint of heart or body. Don’t think that if you’ve hiked a 14er that you will not have any trouble with this, and don’t pay attention to the runners who say it can be done in 5.5 hours. Oh, it can but unless you are winning the Leadville 100, this shouldn’t be the time you are shooting for! We left home in Frisco at 6:20 am and hiked up to Masontown and then Victoria, and Peak 1 by 9:53 am. Relaxed along the way and had some great conversation. To Peak 2 was fairly easy and straightforward and then Lucifer opened up the gates of Hades and we had the joy of doing the rock ledge scramble over to Peak 3 and 4. Because we were warned, it wasn’t as bad as we thought but be forewarned to download the AllTrails map and follow it religiously lest you will get cliffed out on the left (east) side. The only part that you can make a different choice on is the Peak 4 ascent and the AllTrails map shows it going up the spine. My companion with a lower risk factor insisted we take the slightly lower line where there are some cairns pointing the way. Peak 4 was big celebration and then we walked over Peak 5 without knowing it. Peak 6 fairly easy as well and met some mtn bikers doing the miners creek trail (segment 7 of the CT). Then peak 7 was just a big push up and we thought we false Summitted, but it turns out it is peak 8 that has the imperial chair. So we got a bonus. Peak 9 was gorgeous with the orange colors of the grass and a big sustained uphill, the. Then down a “non trail” to peak 10 which we made the summit at 7:58 and caught a glorious sunset. And yes, for those that debate the numbers, you are at 14.8 miles at that point. But you still must get down. It was dark, we had headlamps, but we decided to take the road and it was a long hike down with the porcupines and we arrived at Beaver Run at 10:53 pm and caught the bus back to Frisco. Thoroughly wiped out but what a ride!! Our stats. 20.71 miles, 7,957 vert, 9 hrs 51 minutes moving time with 16 hrs 33 min elapsed time. 4 burritos, 2 sushi rolls, 3 lbs of trail mix, 3 wild zoras, 1 soppresata and Dubliner cheese, and 10 figgies and jammies and 300 ml of water consumed. And stories to tell for years.

Not for the faint of heart. (a$$ kicker) Beautiful views and very challenging.

From 10/28/2018 — Took Mount Royal trail to Peak One— What an amazing climb, was extremely icy leading up to Mount Royal and met shin deep snow approaching Mount Victoria. Once on the ridge of Tenmile it began to reach knee deep, and meeting a few windblown cornices accompanied by an iced out ridge line. Crampons and an ice axe is advised, which everyone I saw had microspikes on that turned around at the icy ridge... good choice.

Sun Sep 23 2018

Great trail challenging ride. Lots of people in the beginning but it Rhône’s out after rainbow lake. We rode it in the fall and the colors were awesome. We rode from Frisco to Breckenridge and my wife was to tired to ride the trail back so we opted for the bike path back.

Tue Sep 11 2018

Got this one after a failed attempt due to a snowstorm. Very challenging hike because of all the time on the ridge. It takes good luck on weather to have the time to complete the entire route. We started at an unmarked trail head (as marked on this route) and parked just down from the church on the side of the road. We hiked in, camped at Royal and then did Royal, Victoria, peaks 1-10 and camped again by Lower Crystal Lake and then out the next day. Be sure to have plenty of water, this hike is quite a challenge being exposed almost all of the way with no access to water.

Tue Sep 11 2018

Super hard.. lots of scrambling .. will definitely come back and do it again!

Wed Aug 15 2018

This trail is about 16 miles, not sure how the description has 21. It contains a perfect amount of vertical ascent to make one suffer on the descent. There is enough scrambling and route finding to be challenging and keep you on your toes. Great destination run for experienced runners and mountaineering types. This route has class 3 and 4 scrambles. You should be skilled at rout-finding and mountain running. Finished in about 5:30 but I felt like I was moving pretty good with no stops. Others have finished in 4:15 (the big kids) or 15 hours if your VO2 is average. This is a pretty big day. Prepare accordingly. Oh yeah this route had 7,900 vertical ascent. Hope that helps. There could be slight variations depending on if you stay on the ridge or take the trail. The ridge is cooler. Take the free bus home or call a friend.

Wed Aug 15 2018

SO DIFFICULT. Took 3.5 hrs to get to Peak 1, starting at 5 am. Pretty much....wasn't prepared for the rest of this. Knew I wanted to do it, and was going to anyway. I have very little rock climbing experience. Peak 1-2 was about an hour traverse through a barley marked foot trail that proved to be fairly dangerous. Between 2-3 wasn't bad, but Peaks 3-4 took us 2 hours to get across. I was pretty tempted to call Life Rescue on this one because I was NOT prepared for all the climbing and scaling that took place. Lots of up and downs, rock slides, and sketchy AF areas where the trail was super questionable. Once you get to Peak 4, it's smooth sailing till Peak 8. We made it down between peak 7 and 8 before my knees and hips were like "no". Kinda upset we didn't finish, but came down between 7 & 8 and ran into the Adventure park in Breck LMAO After 11.5 hours of hiking, I'm disappointed I didn't accomplish this, but I'm super freaking proud for making it so far. I'll try again in maybe a year or so lol but the views were TOTALLY worth it. Good luck and pack lots of water and protein bars!

Sun Jul 22 2018

5 stars for beauty. Also 5 stars for being a monster slope, very formidable. If you start north, you’ll climb 4K feet in 5.3 miles, where you reach Peak 1. By the way, I recommend disregarding the start point on the AllTrails map (I couldn’t find an established trailhead with parking) and starting at a trailhead north of that point, where rainbow lake trail begins (near Pitkin street). Super steep trail, and several downed trees- nothing a barrier tho. Had to deal with Forest fire smoke on the way up blowing in from southwest CO, but it all cleared within a couple hrs. I hiked to Peak 1, a 10.6 mile out and back. Took me 5 hours, and i consider myself fast. Again, this is a tuffy. Trail not too sketchy until you get to Peak 1, where there’s some scrambling involved. Fun challenges, no mistakes allowed.

Mon Sep 04 2017

Finally got back here to bag this one. Backpacked it. First night on Royal, second night at Lower Crystal Lake. Beautiful hike, but extremely tough. Class 3-4 scrambling until the summit of Peak 4. Enjoy.

Mon Sep 26 2016

EXTREMELY difficult traverse of all 10 peaks in the Ten Mile range. Very technical class 3 scrambling most of the way between peaks 1-4, with several spots I would consider class 4. Did this in some pretty fierce wind and snow and had to bail out after peak 3 to the valley to the east and loop back around to the start. Very disappointing, but you don't mess with Mother Nature. This is a serious hike for serious hikers. Do your research and know what you are getting yourself into. Amazing hike though. I will be back for the rest of it in August when the snow has subsided.

Tue Jul 05 2016

Started at Copper Mountain. Somewhat sketchy in the beginning as you traverse I-70 over a street bridge with a pedestrian section, only then you can see the trailhead. You hear I-70 noise for about a mile, but once in the wilderness the trail is all worth it. Lots of water crossing, and mud-fields, so bring your waterproof shoes. Constantly (strenuously) ascending for 5 miles until you reach lost lake which is a marvel. Continue for a mile up the Uneva pass which offers views to both sides. There is a trail leading to your right for about 0.4 mile but its a dead-end. The trail crossing down into ten-mile is very difficult to discern as it switches back from the main-trail on the top of the pass. We didn't go through with the descent into ten-mile as we could see large snow-fields covering the trail on steep slopes and dark clouds coming up and didn't want to risk it, hence returned the same way for a total of 12.8 miles. We saw NOBODY on the trail. Start really early to avoid the weather risk on the pass.

Sun Aug 27 2017