Templeton Trail

Templeton Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Note: All dogs must be on a leash while on park trails. The top of the Mesa dog park is the only off leash area. This is a high volume area so please pick up after dogs and dispose of any waste and trash properly. Palmer Park is one of the largest park/open spaces in the city of Colorado Springs. It contains excellent facilities: dog park, horse stable, riding trails, picnic areas, and hiking trails. The four mile loop that circumnavigates the top of the mesa in the center of the park. The Templeton Trail begins and ends at the Yucca Flats trailhead. Visitors often choose to hike clockwise on this trail because the trail signs are easier to read when moving in this direction.

This is close to our house and is rugged enough to be a good workout, but not brutal. Lots of very interesting rock formations. Can be very muddy in spots after snow or rain.

Love this whole area!

Great family trail. There is a lot you can learn about COS in the views from Palmer Park.

Enjoyed the trail. Good workout.

Took two kids and dog and they really enjoyed it. Couple of steepish spots but if you go slow, kids are fine.

Accidentally stopped tracking. I️ did finish the whole track. Awesome

It's good.

Beautiful views throughout! Although like other reviews stated, the trail is really hard to follow in some spots. Glad I had cell service the whole time so I could follow the map! I also wasn't expecting a road and parking lot at the top of the trail. The trailhead parking lot is also pretty small which could be problematic on a weekend, but it was fine on a Thursday morning!

Nice little hike!

HOLY SHIT, I can't tell what's trail and what's washout! I couldn't find shit in this place and the trail markers are useless. Aside from that the tallest peak in the distance is generally westward so that's helpful. Even though I lost the trail at least half a dozen times I thought it was badass and a lot of fun.

When we pictured hiking in Colorado this is exactly what we were looking for. We highly recommend! Easy to find and beautiful views at every turn!

Good! Wasn't crowded. Moderately difficult in some spots and lost the trail once due to a bad marker, but the app's map helped a ton! I enjoyed the trail for sure.

excellent trail. moderate difficulty with beautiful views

Great trail, great views and great exercise. Just do yourself a favor and don't go midday in 90+ degree weather... mistakes were made

I have lived in Colo Spgs for 40 years and never did this trail. It was a nice little find. The east to west side the the trail was easy to follow. On the south side after the horse area there are a bunch of paths and false paths that crisscross the path and made it hard to follow, maybe it was just me. However it was easy to get back on main path. I went in the heat of the day so on the east and north side the trees and shade was wonderful breaking out on the west to south side it got really warm and little shade. Overall not sure how this is a moderate trail, so very easy on the moderate side.

11 May. Great trail run. A bit muddy in a few spots but overall nice and soft but not much mud. Chilly at 51° and cloudy. Had shorts and long sleeve smart wool shirt. Should've brought gloves. Sometimes hard to stay on Templeton because signage wasn't great.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Fun trail in the middle of town!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

This was an amazing hike. I walk this park all the time and have hiked parts of Templeton Trail on a daily bases. I have never taken the entire trail at one time. If you are looking for a good work out and awesome views at the same time then this is the trail for you. Did I say it is in the middle of Colorado Springs? Yes, it is. You would never know on most of the trail. When you come to the Austin Bluffs side of the hike you all of a sudden realize with amazement that you are really in the City. I did Pan Cake Rocks last weekend and I must say this hike was almost as much of a challenge. Well not really. Lots of up and down but very easy to manage. This weekend the snow from Friday was melting and made the trail very muddy. I give this trail a 5 out of 5. Thank you General Palmer for giving us this park.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Fun for all!

Monday, February 13, 2017

Doesn't feel like you're in the middle of town! Love this trail!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Fun trail right in the middle of town

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Excellent moderate trail. Beautiful views!!

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Great views from Palmer Park, this trail is marked as difficult but is very doable for any skill level

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Listed as an advanced trail at the park. Great workout, lots of rocks and scrambling, definitely more of a hike than a walk with great views from the top of the rocks. I'd say it would be suitable for older kids, the littles might have a harder time, though, with sometimes uncertain footing on the gravel. Trail splits several times and reconnects with itself, also crosses several other trails so you've got to pay close attention if you want to stay on Templeton.
My pug made the loop, but was pretty wore out by the end. Husband and I enjoyed it.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

This trail was awesome. It is right by my house so very easy to get to from town. The trail is pretty rocky. Hiking is great not too sure if it would be good for mountain biking because of all the rocks but great scenery for being in the city. The only thing I didn't like was that the trials were not marked that great so be careful.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Excellent trail to hike with kids and dogs! You get a fabulous view in all directions of the city while still enjoying a hike through varying terrain. The rock formations accompanying the trail were unique and provided a good opportunity for my kids to adventure around. I also recommend going clockwise for ease of trail tracking. Despite being up in the rocks, there was still a fair amount of foliage to provide refreshing shade throughout the hike. As said already, it's a fabulous hike in our own backyard here in the Springs!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

I wish I would have read more reviews before setting out this morning. I started the trail counterclockwise and had much difficulty following the trail once I reached the Yucca section. I ended up back tracking twice. I eventually found my way back to the Edna Mae Bennett Trail and the North Canon Trailhead. Beautiful morning and still hiked 4ish miles. My dog and I will try this one again. Super loved the easy location!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

I really enjoyed my early morning hike. Going counter-clockwise has tons of climbing. Going clockwise in the morning keeps you in good shade and there is still a decent amount of climbing. Will definitely do again soon.

Friday, June 24, 2016

one of my favorites. Lots of terrain so you don't get bored. great 4 mile loop. can b crowded at times. best to go early. hiking clockwise is easier to follow the trail signs. counterclockwise is a bit more challenging as it involves more climbing. you really do feel away from it all while walking smack in the middle of town.

Sunday, June 12, 2016