Tanglewood Trail

Tanglewood Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Tanglewood Trail begins in the southeast corner of the Wilderness and climbs north to a saddle on the boundary between the Pike and Arapaho National Forests. Trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness.

Good hike ,trail a little hard to follow right before I got to tree line . Absolutely beautiful above treeline. Got there early plenty of parking at trailhead. Definitely hit this trail one more time this summer.

What an amazing trail! It took us about 5 hours out and back, and we were hoofing it for much of the hike. But the views are worth it if you go all of the way up to the ridge! There was still snow about halfway up the trail, but nothing that regular hiking boots can't handle. One of my favorite hikes in Colorado, and I've been hiking for 5 years. 5 stars!

Moderate trail, not very crowded, great beginning trail for dogs, trails is mostly packed dirt.

Best trail I've done in CO so far! Great challenge

Snow about 2.5 miles up the trail. Nice up until then! The snowy areas aren't too bad either.

Qualifier: I am 64 years old, so younger legs may do better than mine. A mixed review: a picturesque trail, with a jackpot of views at the Continental Divide, including a nice view of Rosalie, and huge Bristlecone Pine trees. The downside: although the first mile is OK, the middle three miles are a near-constant scree of exposed roots and jumbled rocks, together with tons of ankle-rollers. I have nothing against horses, don't mind the Trail biscuits, but the trail is so hoof-pounded that much of the trail really is a HORSE trail. I'll probably hike it again sometime in the future, but I'm not a fan of all the rocks.

DH, 11 yo son, and I made our way up Tanglewood a little more than 3 miles before son was done. Trail during switchbacks became tricky to follow.
LOVED, LOVED that we could actually count the number of groups we passed (vs the hoards of people on our 14er). Quiet and peaceful. Enjoyed the trickling creek and wind through the pines. In two weeks, the aspens will be changing colors and the trail will look different. Feels like a moderate plus rating is deserved.

Wow! What a beautiful view at the top! It wasn't too crowded at all and the trail was pretty easy to follow the whole way. It's tiring for sure but doable! Can't wait to come back and maybe try to go up Rosalie!

We went up Tanglewood, cut across and came down Rosalie. Would have made the entire Tanglewood trek but we can small children, who ended up doing great on the loop we took. It was challenging up Tanglewood, but the views were much better as we cut across and then came down Rosalie. Would recommend.

This is my favorite trail. Why Rosalie trail is rated difficult and Tanglewood is rated moderate, I have no idea. Tanglewood to Rosalie Peak is a killer hike. 12 miles and 4300 feet of gain/loss makes it one bad SOB. or... stretch your legs and do the 13.8 mile trek to Beartrack Lakes! it too offers over 4,000 feet of gain!
Tanglewood makes hikers strong. 3 or 4 days out there will give you the sort of physical improvements you need to be truly capable of 20 mile hikes at any elevation. It's remote, ancient and breathtaking, literally :)
Tanglewood is for real hikers!

One of my favorite trails!