Tanglewood Trail

Tanglewood Trail is a 10 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Tanglewood Trail begins in the southeast corner of the Wilderness and climbs north to a saddle on the boundary between the Pike and Arapaho National Forests. Trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness.

Great hike. Low traffic. Some campsites near the trailhead and along the Deer Creek stream. It's challenging, but not stair stepping the whole way. Trail running was difficult, though certain sections were great for it. If you're looking for an even bigger challenge, you can hike Rosalie Peak (13575 ft) from the saddle by heading west along the ridge. Adds another 1500+ vertical. It's steep, but not technically hard and it's a fantastic view from the top.

Great trail. Easy to navigate (in summer). The climb was grueling but we took lots of breaks. Only took 3 breaks going down, mostly due to blister issues. Saw two very large deer along the stream. Saw 4 other groups of people, but otherwise it’s empty. We only found a couple pieces of trash :)

A good trail. Definitely lightly trafficked and I would say on the harder side. I was thankful for the app as the trail was sometimes hard to discern closer to the tree line. Once above the tree line, the views are amazing.

Ii'd rate this trail as hard. That's because the trail is very rough and can't really run as much as I wanted. The first 3.5 miles were 90% shade and the the last 1.5 miles to the lake was 0% shade. Great summer hike. You will need a map or you can easily get lost.

Nice hike in the woods. Keeps things cool. It’s a constant climb. I didn’t make it to the saddle

This is a difficult hike, but very rewarding once you get to the top. The views are worth it! There were some wildflowers when I went, but I think I missed the peak time for flowers this year.

Awesome hike. I would rate this hike as difficult. I did it as a youth more than 40 years ago and it hard then. I am 57 years old my wife and I did this beautifull hike today. it took us 6.5 hours to complete. We took our time a we were rewarded with breath taking views just above timberline. I would highly recommend this lightly traveled trail.

I took a friend from out of town on this trail on Tuesday and we were almost completely alone. We saw one other couple on mile one then no one for the entire rest of it. It was great, the views form the pass were awesome. We sat on a rock and ate lunch, you have a great view of Mount Evans from there. The 4 solid miles of climbing wasn't the easiest but certainly not too bad. I took someone who lives at sea level and he did just fine with it.

I hiked this trail last weekend, for the first time. In my opinion, it is moderate/hard because it gets steep at the top. Despite earlier reviews, the saddle is about 6 miles from the trailhead. I hike another 1.5 miles down toward the lakes but had to turn around due to time. The descent from the saddle can be pretty tricky at certain points.

Absolutely beautiful hike. The view from above the tree line is spectacular!!

Lots of wildflowers folks!

Definitely on the more difficult side of "moderate" due to the long steady climb and the rocky terrain (careful on the way down). Gorgeous views past treeline and lots of places to explore once you get to the saddle at around 4 miles in. Very dog friendly with lots of water along the way and shade until you get past treeline. Lots of wildflowers at this time.

Hiked to the lakes. They were absolutely stunning. This hike is at altitude and is a constant uphill and to reach the lakes, you have to walk around 11 miles or so. But, they’re well worth it!

Started around 9 on Sunday and didn’t see anyone on the way up. Made it just past the tree line and my dog started getting really tired so we turned around. Saw lots of people on the way down. Great for dogs! Loved the shade and stream access for most of the hike. Wildflowers were amazing!

Awesome leg workout. Great for dogs. Not crowded.

I hiked up to the saddle, about 4.1 miles. The views from the saddle were excellent, but I confess that it was a constant climb that I found taxing. Age and fitness had a lot to do with that. Declared victory at the saddle and didn't go to the lake.

Only hiked up 1.5 miles but great scenery, beautiful wildflowers, and dog friendly! Some creek crossings require stepping on rocks to get across but easy to do.

.a consistently organized, scenic and easy-to- navigste trail that has enough challenge for all hiker types but never over-the-top.

This is a challenging trail because of the rocks and elevation change. It is beautiful nevertheless. Roosevelt lake is a serene and lovely place to enjoy a little rest. It is a steady incline and more difficult than stated.

This is a good hike for those who have pups that may not be the best on leash. The trail has some roots and rocks in the middle; however, there is no scrambling and minimal loose footing. Not sure if I reached “Roosevelt lake” but I did make it to a small body of water which was pretty. The trail is pretty well marked. Definitely longer than 10miles. Took about 4 and a half hrs round trip!

Beautiful hike! Especially if you keep going to Roosevelt lakes just over the ridge. I would say a little more difficult than moderate, at more like 11.5 miles with the lakes

One of my favorite trails in CO. A little out of the way and it keeps the traffic down.

Love this trail. The snow had completely meted on the trail aside from one or two small patches over the 5 miles up. No Yak Tracks necessary. Steady incline the whole way up and a good workout.

Once you get above treeline the views are beautiful; however, to get there you'll have to go through snow and ice. Pretty hike through the evergreens beside a creek. It's a gradual incline, but an incline the entire way up nonetheless. Above treeline is when the trail gets really hard to follow, so I wouldn't do this unless you already know the trail. I lost my way a couple times and decided to go back down before completely losing my way. Views are completely worth it, though! I did everything in trail running shoes and regret it. Definitely should bring yaktraks.

The directions to the trailhead are perfect; however, for the last 2.1 miles it is on an unpaved, very pothole-filled road.

Did this trail yesterday. There were o lay about 5-6 cars when I pulled in, saw only about 6-7 people the entire time. I was the last one to leave so had the trail to myself for a good 2-3 hours. Beautiful forest and creek, so quiet and relaxing. It’s a gradual uphill but not to bad for the first mile and a half (I’ve got a lot of muscle problems and asthma so if I can do it then most people can too). The trail is mostly clear and dry with some slick ice patches lingering. I talked to people coming down and they said at the 1.5-2mi mark, or where the switchbacks start, is ice and you need crampons to get up there, so I turned around when the ice got too thick. There is parking but no bathrooms, saw almost no trash (One soda cup and some really old rusted beer cans) so the trail is taken care off. Will definitely be going back after the rest of the trail thaws!

Such a gorgeous hike. The creek, the scenery all-around on the way up, the views at the top as said before are amazing. This is definitely a 10 mile hike and the first 5 miles is pretty much straight up. Knowing that from previous reviews we went for it and loved it. Coming down almost is rough on the knees has going up is on the legs. But such a great workout. Lots of snow we started at nine in the morning April 1 went all the way to the very top of the ridge and didn’t get back to the car till three. Lots of small breaks on the way up stop for lunch but down went pretty fast of course. In the afternoon on the way down the trail was nothing but/and puddles in rivers We were yet tracks the entire way up and we’re better for it. But if the weather holds this is going to be a pretty mucky trail for a bit but will be back I bet it in the summer it’s even better

This was harder than we thought it would be. We wore micro spikes most of the hike. Quite icy. Lots of tree coverage. It’s a steady climb the whole way but it really got tough once we passed the tree line. It was hard to see the trail due to snow. We saw lots of moose poop but no moose; but they were close. It’s a beautiful hike. We will do it again.

You have a decent amount of ascent through trees until you get to the breath-taking views but they are SO worth it! It gets snowier and icier the higher you get (until you pass the tree line then the snow was scattered, lots of open ground). You could do it sans extra traction but YakTraks/micro spikes would definitely come in handy! I will say the actual trail is hard to find once you start to pass the tree line, mostly you're just following other people's tracks or making your own way (the vegetation does seem fragile so I wouldn't recommend stomping around all over up there!) If you can make it high enough though the views of the surrounding mountains are stunning! You hear the creek for a while which is nice and there's a pretty large parking area at the trailhead, it was really empty when I went around noon on Saturday 3/17. This trail was a bit of a workout since you're going up the whole time but with lots of water and some breaks you'll definitely be rewarded for the hard work!

Beautiful walk through the woods and gorgeous views once you’re above tree line. I definitely recommend spikes. It is almost all uphill for the first half of the hike.