Tanglewood Trail

Tanglewood Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,913 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Tanglewood Trail begins in the southeast corner of the Wilderness and climbs north to a saddle on the boundary between the Pike and Arapaho National Forests. Trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness.

Loved the gorgeous climb through the forest. 6 stream crossings, bristlecone pine forest, views of the mountains, and tons of mushrooms. Didn’t quite make it to the lakes, clouds were dark. Great workout. Lots of rocks so bring thick soles. Saw marmots and pretty wildflowers.

takes about a 2 hour investment to get to the cool views, trail is in generally good shape, except some spots where it vanishes for a minute. Did lose the trail completely at about mile 5. Prolly has to do with it being a wilderness area.

This is simply a beautiful hike. It can be a little tricky to follow after the saddle, use GPS or AllTrails app. Decent steady incline and a bit rocky but one of my favorite hikes, I keep coming back to this one!

So much fun. Hiked it solo. I’m 29, in shape, but am NOT an experienced hiker. It took me 5 hours to the top and to the lake(keep going straight once you get to the top) and back down. 5 hours total. There are some parts that confuse you on the trail, especially at the beginning, and might get you a little turned around, but you will figure it out. DO NOT GIVE UP BEFORE the saddle at the top. And PLEASE, don’t go up higher to the side(once you reach the top), go STRAIGHT(down) to the LAKE! So cool, the views from the top are already impeccable. The lake at over 12,000ft is worth it. I lost trail on way back from lake, but it’s easy to get back on track. USE THE ALL TRAILS MAP. :) Such good views, tough hike, feel very accomplished.

I went up Rosalie Peak from Tanglewood Trail Monday morning. WOW!!! What a beautiful experience!! Trail could possibly be troublesome for those that don’t like rocky trails, but I found it to be a really awesome trail!! There wasn’t a specific trail up to the peak (that I saw?) so the last little bit was picking the path of least resistance and going for it. So worth it!! I was up there by myself and I couldn’t have asked for it any other way!

This was such an excellent trail. Made it to the saddle but not quite up to the lakes because a hail storm blew in. But everything about it was lovely. Places to camp along the way. The trail can get a little hard to follow when you hit the switchbacks just below treeline, so just pay attention. And it really is as steep as everyone is saying. Also the parking lot on a Saturday was only half full. I counted and think it will probably hold 40 cars. There’s also parking on the roadsides on the way to the trailhead. You CANNOT go wrong with this beautiful hike.

No snow until I was about to break treeline; turned back as it started to rain. A moose crossed my path a bit before the switchbacks started. Great day.

Awesome 10mile hike in and out. Started raining after 1pm. Great views and different scenery throughout hike. I recommend it. I would say its a moderate trail. I carried about an extra 35lb toddler on a backpack no problem. Incline was hardest at the end after the switch backs. Dog friendly and light to moderate traffic .

About 2 miles in the trail is a Creek from the runoff. 3 miles in where you cross the Creek still has 1-2 feet of snow.

50-70% snow coverage on trail, the upper section will require off-trail path-finding. 5-10% of the trail also has flowing water on it. Be prepared for post-holing and wet feet. The mountains are beautiful from the saddle.

See my photos for notes :) Just sprinted the last quarter mile because of light hail. Be careful out there!

May 19th, 2019 Beautiful trail! Cloudy and below freezing helped in that we never needed our snowshoes, just microspikes... However, the snow is still 3ft deep in places, so as it softens/melts, you'll want to have the proper gear.

Don't forgot your snowshoes. I ended up turning around just before treeline. You are going to be post-holing constantly after about 2 or 3 mile mark. You might want some crampons if you expect above treeline to be frozen. I plan on finishing this once I have some snowshoes. It a pretty good hike, not sure how the view is but it is worth doing.

4/27/19, lots of loose snow. Bring snow shoes or get used to post-holing for most of the trip, gets better above tree line as in its more supportive, but you lose the trail under the snow banks.

Definitely bring snow shoes

I was trying to avoid front range mud and found lots of snow on this trail! The first mile is packed and easy. The second mile is steeper and mostly packed. After that, the trail gets harder to find and harder to hike in the snow. Around tree line I wished I had snowshoes. I didn't make it to the summit but with more time probably could have found a route without too much post-holing. No views in the first 2 miles, then peek-a-boo views until you get up to tree line.

Climbed this in just winter boots and had a blast. Once you get above tree line the path is impossible to find. Rather than freezing your hands fumbling with the GPS, head straight up and you will get to the gorgeous alpine clearing where you can see mountains from all sides. Then it's a leisurely mile to the lake

Great hike. Low traffic. Some campsites near the trailhead and along the Deer Creek stream. It's challenging, but not stair stepping the whole way. Trail running was difficult, though certain sections were great for it. If you're looking for an even bigger challenge, you can hike Rosalie Peak (13575 ft) from the saddle by heading west along the ridge. Adds another 1500+ vertical. It's steep, but not technically hard and it's a fantastic view from the top.

Great trail. Easy to navigate (in summer). The climb was grueling but we took lots of breaks. Only took 3 breaks going down, mostly due to blister issues. Saw two very large deer along the stream. Saw 4 other groups of people, but otherwise it’s empty. We only found a couple pieces of trash :)