Tanglewood Trail

Tanglewood Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Tanglewood Trail begins in the southeast corner of the Wilderness and climbs north to a saddle on the boundary between the Pike and Arapaho National Forests. Trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness.

I hike this trail every year! It is one of Colorado's hidden gems! Plenty of water for the pooches!! Very scenic with every step of the way!!!

Very nice trail. Lots of tree cover until you rise above treeline. It's here that you can get great southern views.
Nice stream accompanies you along the way. Elevation gain is steady but not very steep. No bouldering.
Ample parking, although the road in is a bit rough.

I didn't even get to the trailhead since the last mile past the campground requires a 4x4 or at least a higher clearance vehicle. We were in a Corolla hahah! So never stepped foot on the trail but wanted to let others know before making the drive all the way out there!

Very nice hike...lots of variety, ranging from thick woods following the creek, to some nice open tundra. Pretty good workout - it's a very steady uphill pull, without many breaks, and the steeper sections are also pretty rocky. I wouldn't rate it as "hard", but it is certainly on the more challenging end of "moderate". Not many views until you get above the trees, and then there's a great view south. There are moose that live along there - we saw 3 fairly close up, including one big male. There are a few sections where the trail is pretty faint and vague, but they were no big deal.

Loved this hike!

rainy day... loved this trail. Hiked to the Roosevelt lakes and back. Very few people.

Really enjoyed this trail. It's a pretty solid uphill to the saddle then a short trip over to the Roosevelt Lakes.. The lushness of the hike and the sound of the Creek really makes this a super hike that's just a short trip from Denver.

Awesome trail, wish I started an hour earlier. The weather made me think twice about breaking the tree line. Definitely rocky trail at some points but not overly difficult. Footing can be tricky in some places. Even though I didn't make the ridge, very nice trail and the creek running along the trail is a bonus. Will definitely be back to get to the ridge.

Excellent workout with lovely shaded trail most of the way followed by a gorgeous mountainside full of wildflowers once you break timberline. It is a rocky trail, and it's a good idea to watch your step, particularly when it's been raining (learned that lesson the painful way :-) ). When you top the ridge, you'll come to a stick poking gut of the ground with a blue bandana. If you continue to follow the trail along the top for about a mile, theres a little freshwater lake at the top. I assume it's from snowmelt and maybe isn't always there, but it was lovely! Lots of grey squirrels and marmots. So clear, you could see the bottom. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for cairns at the top. Pretty well defined trail, but they definitely help. I would do this one again.

love this trail. picked a cloudy day. I didn't see a soul the entire hike. waited out a rainstorm in the bristlecone pine forest (I think) just shy of timberline. then made it to the saddle. great feeling

Most beautiful trail.

A great hike close to Denver. It starts with a beautiful hike along the stream including scattered wildflowers with small groups of columbines. Then after the last stream crossing it starts some serious climbing up the switchbacks. The views were amazing when we broke through timberline and at the top of the saddle. We went right at the saddle and did some scrambling in the rocky sections before heading back down. Definitely will be back.

Good hike ,trail a little hard to follow right before I got to tree line . Absolutely beautiful above treeline. Got there early plenty of parking at trailhead. Definitely hit this trail one more time this summer.

What an amazing trail! It took us about 5 hours out and back, and we were hoofing it for much of the hike. But the views are worth it if you go all of the way up to the ridge! There was still snow about halfway up the trail, but nothing that regular hiking boots can't handle. One of my favorite hikes in Colorado, and I've been hiking for 5 years. 5 stars!

Moderate trail, not very crowded, great beginning trail for dogs, trails is mostly packed dirt.

Best trail I've done in CO so far! Great challenge

Snow about 2.5 miles up the trail. Nice up until then! The snowy areas aren't too bad either.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Qualifier: I am 64 years old, so younger legs may do better than mine. A mixed review: a picturesque trail, with a jackpot of views at the Continental Divide, including a nice view of Rosalie, and huge Bristlecone Pine trees. The downside: although the first mile is OK, the middle three miles are a near-constant scree of exposed roots and jumbled rocks, together with tons of ankle-rollers. I have nothing against horses, don't mind the Trail biscuits, but the trail is so hoof-pounded that much of the trail really is a HORSE trail. I'll probably hike it again sometime in the future, but I'm not a fan of all the rocks.

Monday, September 05, 2016

DH, 11 yo son, and I made our way up Tanglewood a little more than 3 miles before son was done. Trail during switchbacks became tricky to follow.
LOVED, LOVED that we could actually count the number of groups we passed (vs the hoards of people on our 14er). Quiet and peaceful. Enjoyed the trickling creek and wind through the pines. In two weeks, the aspens will be changing colors and the trail will look different. Feels like a moderate plus rating is deserved.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Wow! What a beautiful view at the top! It wasn't too crowded at all and the trail was pretty easy to follow the whole way. It's tiring for sure but doable! Can't wait to come back and maybe try to go up Rosalie!