Tabor Creek Trail

Tabor Creek Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Aspen: Drive 10 miles east of Aspen on Highway 82 to Lincoln Creek Road. Turn right and drive 4.1 miles on Lincoln Creek Road to the Tabor Creek Trailhead.

Enjoyed this hike! We only saw 2 other groups of hikers. The drive to the trail head is 4 miles of 4wd dirt road. You pass through the Lincoln Creek Camp ground. At the beginning of the trail there is a creek crossing, I recommend bringing water shoes unless you want to hike in wet shoes. Beautiful hike with very few people.

Fantastic, definitely need an AWD vehicle. Only saw one person on the trail all day.

Wow. So much fabulousness.

This hike immediately starts with a wet stream crossing of Lincoln Creek. It was up to my knees so there was no keeping the shoes dry. If you're planning ahead, you could change into river sandals but there was a lot of water further up too so not sure it would be worth it. After the creek crossing, the trail is moderately steep with loose rocks and pebbles. After crossing the aqueduct road (wouldn't it be nice if the trailhead were up there?), the trail crosses into the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness and continues to ascend through a pine forest.

The trail then opens into a long valley with fabulous wildflower meadows. The valley is marshy (not the trail tho), which means there's a fair amount of bugs. Bug spray to the rescue!

Right before I reached a set of wildly picturesque unnamed alpine lakes, the trail basically petered away totally. Since I knew my destination was the pass and since I had my app, I was able to continue on easily. Once I achieved the pass, I had a view of another couple unnamed alpine lakes on the other side and was able to suss out where Anderson and Petroleum Lakes were hidden from view one valley further.

I saw no one else all day. Wilderness indeed.

Not for the novice hiker. Lots of elevation gain and loose rock on the trail. Expect to get your feet wet. Beautiful hike with wildflowers, lakes and valleys.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Have heard awesome things about this hike, but unfortunately for us the river was not passable as of 6/27/16.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Looked nice but river crossing at the start was too difficult as of early July

Thursday, April 03, 2014

This trailhead is not marked well, but it is an awesome hike up Tabor Creek to Jerry Lake, Tabor Lake, which is not marked, or up to Tabor Pass. Awesome wildflowers,scenic views, wildlife,and good fly fishing at Tabor Lake for good sized cutthroat trout.