Your session expired, please sign in again to continue.

Switzerland Trail, Gold Hill Site

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(40)
Roosevelt National Forest

Switzerland Trail, Gold Hill Site is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Colorado. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 524 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hill Climb 2.0

Took Sunshine Canyon Dr, per one reviewer's suggestion; pleasant drive. This is a very easy hike on a service road. I chose to make it a loop by taking Todd Gulch back to the parking lot; last mile is mostly uphill, moderate. 6 miles total. Was passed by a dozen or more trucks, three ATV's, two dirt bikes, two bikers, 5 other hikers and a dog. I'd still consider this a lightly trafficked trail. *Todd Gulch was pretty wet, but could just be spring conditions.

icy

1st time taking the 2019 Cherokee trailhawk on here. had a blast around gold mine hill. made it up everything 1st try with being in 4lo and rear locked

Sat May 11 2019

Great day for a hike with my boys! First, I wouldn't call this moderate. It's a well maintained service road. It's pretty easy. You do all your elevation gain on the way back to the trailhead, but it's so gradual that it's barely noticeable. It was a bit icy in spots, but most if it melted once the sun was overhead. The road goes on past where this app suggests, so if you wanted a longer hike, you have that option. It's a great choice if you want something and easy without a lot of human interaction. I'll be back for sure since it's so close and a great place for my boys to stretch their legs!

Tue Nov 06 2018

Took my dog on this pretty hike/walk, not very busy on a November morning. The only rough part was driving there honestly- Lickskillet Rd up to Gold Hill was a scary steep gravel road- both up and down. My newer Prius made it, but I recommend taking Sunshine Canyon rather than Left Hand Canyon to get there.

Wed Apr 25 2018

One of the better service road hikes I have done. Easy hike with great views. Road continues well past my turnaround spot if you want more miles. Late April snow made the road a bit muddy, but it was fine with boots on. Long, steady uphill the entire way back, but less than 200ft per mile, so it is still an easy return.

Sun Jul 02 2017

I grew up here. I camped recently and found the pond had been sold and now private and there are no more coyotes. 5 stars because it is my childhood home and a great safe place to camp for the night without being bothered.

Tue Oct 25 2016

This is just a forest service road. It's an easy walk down with a few offshoot trails and nice valley views. It'd be a great mountain bike or dirt bike descent. Instead of going back up the road I cut up the slope which was about 30 minutes shorter. Very little wildlife (in fall) but also very few humans. Occasional Verizon signal.

Sun Jun 19 2016

Nice views but no shade. Probably better in early spring or fall.

Sat Aug 29 2009

Nice trail to take the parents on. Good, easy geocaches along the trail. Be careful about the time of year that you go back here. There was a lot of target practice (shooting) in preparation for hunting season. Made us nervous about getting off the trail to search for geocaches.

recorded Recording - Apr 27, 4:17 PM