Switzerland Trail

Switzerland Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

rails trails

The Switzerland Trail is a popular OHV, mountain bike and running trail along a historic railroad grade in the Colorado front range mining area near Nederland, Gold Hill and Ward. The trail is a gradual climb through rolling mountain meadows in Roosevelt National Forest. The narrow-gauge railroad bed includes rocky rough terrain perfect for dirt bikes of all skill levels and provides wonderful views of the Eastern Plains to the east, the Indian Peaks to the west, and Rocky Mountain National Park to the north. The railroad line was previously operated by the Greeley, Salt Lake and Pacific Railway, the Colorado and Northwestern Railroad and the Denver, Boulder and Western Railroad. The trail is currently maintained by the National Forest Service.

off road driving

The main Switzerland trail is easy and could possibly be done in any suv or outback. Done spectacular views once around the backside. Once you get to the end of you go left it takes to back towards the start on Pennsylvania gulch. This part was really fun and my 15 stock Rubicon did fine. But there was two different vehicles that got stuck due to clearance (stock Tacoma and a Lexus land cruiser) it’s an uphill climb on a narrow trail with no room to let someone by. Overall it was fun and challenging and kept me on my toes the whole time.

off road driving

This was a good trail nothing incredibly difficult, the only difficult part I had, was trying to fit the Jeep down the very narrow trail. If I had ran into another person I’m not sure what I would’ve done since where I was there were hardly any spaces to turn around or pass. However I took a left at the first fork in the road you encounter, so it might be a different story down the other trail.

off road driving

Lots of fun for a relatively easy trail. Great views along the way!

off road driving

07 Toyota 4Runner Sr5 4wd stock: Just did this after a heavy rain. Very fun and not too bad. I made it and a Subaru did too. Rocky but 1ft clearance and good aim you’ll be fine. The section of puddles was great.

off road driving

Had a great time on Switzerland today! Trail was easily passible in my 5th Gen SR5 with bigger tires. Can’t wait to go back!

off road driving

Nice drive. Plenty of places to let people pass on the main trail. I did see regular sedans on the trail. So it can be done, your just going to have a tougher ride and probably bottom out a few times. I did it in a 17’ Forester XT with AT tires and had a blast

off road driving

2017 Tacoma SR with 2 inch lift and 265/75/r16 KO2’s. No lockers. Most of it I could do with 2wd, until the 2nd Parking lot (intersects with sugarloaf). After that you can stay on a maintained trail or take the burly way. I’m not sure I could mtb up that section let alone take any vehicle. The 1st parking lot area that really looks like an open area with a few fire barriers made of rocks. From that area on there are some cool offshoots to play around with that are pretty easy but still a good practice. The maintained main trail is really just a bumpy dirt road that even a suburu can get into, except for maybe the snowdrifts.

off road driving

Great beginner trail, my first time today and I would say it was easy but very rocky and bumpy. Other than that great views and a great time

off road driving

It's close and easy to get to. Great camping on either end. Boulder County is awesome about marking the forestry roads.

off road driving

Ripped this on an ‘07 Grand Cherokee with no problems! Moderate traffic, but not bad at all. Have fun!

off road driving

I have a previous review but I went back and redid the trail. I'd say I was probably angry this wasn't rated easy, and I'm not sure if i did the whole thing last time. I have a full video up if you'd like to take a look:

07 ranger manual
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

off road driving

Great beginner trail. Would rate as easy. Had areas on the edges of the trail with obstacles to tackle.

off road driving

drove a stock subaru crosstrek and had zero issues. had a lil snow but nothing crazy. rocks were the biggest issue but most vehicles could maneuver it. should not be moderate difficulty

off road driving

Easy trail with a couple of very moderate trails to camping locations.
Views are decent.
Patches of snow, but dry for the most part.

off road driving

very easy trail, mildly bumpy. about a 4/10 on views, kind of a low elevation trail but still had snow and ice on it today. didn't do the whole trail because i used it as a point-to-point to get to gross reservoir. i have a little footage from the trail at the beginning of this video:

only a couple clips at beginning from switzerland but you could get an idea of what its like for sure.

07 ranger manual
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

off road driving

Drove this trail today. Easy ride with nice views. As long as the road is dry you can make it through with 2WD.

off road driving

definitely an easy. shouldn't be moderate, passed a Passat on it. has nice views in some spots but no challenge

off road driving

Easy to moderate trail. cool trails, beautiful views. Definitely return again.

off road driving

Nice trail close to home. Going to head back in a week or two as the flowers will be popping, also in the fall for aspens. Surprised by the dead end as the guide says point to point but made a memory out of it for sure. Moderate is a accurate rating, in my opinion.

Beautiful view, but when I saw a Yaris and a Prius along with mountain bikers I new that this wasn't real offroading. This should be rated as "so easy a yaris could do it".

off road driving

Trail is open good view watch out for the overgrown trees

Monday, June 12, 2017

My favorite camping spot

Monday, June 05, 2017

it's good for beginner's but any vehicle with good clearance can go

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

super cool trail lots of mud water crossing.

Monday, April 24, 2017

great trail to go and just explore and have fun with. it was an extremely easy trail for the most part. at the end if the trail there is some nice challenging spots, but it's a very fun time overall

Monday, April 17, 2017

Beautiful trail. Slightly rocky, but packed dirt the entire way. Any vehicle with high clearance could travel the road.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Gorgeous scenery and easy drive. Although we found a switch back trail halfway through the first portion of the trail, that proved to have some tougher spots.

Monday, January 02, 2017

I love it very nice

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Great views and an easy drive, "moderate" might be a stretch. Also, nowhere near 40 miles, 7K feet in elevation and the directions to the trail on this app are completely wrong.

Monday, March 14, 2016

Great trail with lots of joining trails for varying experience levels. It was snowing when we went so we couldn't complete it. We have a Jeep TJ 4.0L with a small 2.5" lift and A/T tires. Handled great and only used the 4x4 sometimes