Suprise Lake

Suprise Lake is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Heeney, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Decent elevation gain. Well planned trail. A lot of traffic on the weekends.

Definitely more difficult than I expected. Especially for my first time backpacking. Pretty area with lots of camping spots (no fires, unfortunately). Make sure you go the extra few miles to Upper Cataract!

I would not call this a moderate trail, it is more difficult than expected. Went in mid July. Steep, rocky incline for most of the hike. I'm physically fit and this was difficult for me. I hike it with an out of town friend who is moderately fit and she struggled with the steep incline plus the difference in altitude. Definitely not a beginning hikers trail. The scenery is wildflower meadows at the beginning then gets to be forest for a good majority until you reach the lake. We got rained on mid hike and it got pretty chilly, so bring a light jacket as a precaution. Going back down the mountain is also quite challenging as it is easy to slip on loose rocks and dirt. Would recommend walking sticks or some kind of aide for those who have ankle or knee issues.

Nonetheless, getting to the lake makes the hike worth it. It is a beautiful view and has plenty of areas to relax and take in the scenery.

P.S. DEFINITELY BRING BUG SPRAY. we used it aggressively.

I would rate this trail as difficult, especially if carrying weight. From the trailhead, you have a pretty straight and steep climb. Coming from the south should be mostly downhill.

Bug spray is an absolute must during summer time. Major thanks to a kind gentleman and his wife for giving my friend and I some bug spray on the trail.

Not the prettiest hike, and lots of mosquitoes when we went on 6/26/17. Great views of the lake!

Terrific trail system here, steep and tough until you get to surprise lake. Continue on this trail to reach upper cataract lake. Lots of wildlife and a vast forest setting. Saw some bear prints today!

Saturday, June 04, 2016