Sullivan Gulch Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Drake, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 984 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A short but steep hike up a heavily wooded canyon that abounds in solitude. A short hike that is good for training for some of the bigger trails that are in the local area. There are several places near the summit that make a nice place to have a picnic. Good views of the Big Thompson Canyon and to the North is Signal Mtn. The Colorado weather makes this a hit or miss till spring. Prime Mountain Lion country, so caution is advised.

Room for 4-6 cars at the trailhead small parking area. 1,000 elevation in 1 mile up is a great short workout. Very gulchy and scraggly below but up top trail opens up to a beautiful wide scenic area with great views. Didn't see many other groups.

Reality check: the trail itself is really just a one-star route. It's a steep walk up a gulch. Peaceful, yes. Good for training, yes. If you want to make a memorable hike of this route, it is what you do at the saddle at the end of the trail that matters! At the saddle, an obvious trail to the east will take you to Point 7778 which has a Class 3 summit scramble. NE from there is an obviously gentler summit. The open terrain between the two just begs to be explored. Lots of quartz rock make it interesting. You will also see another faint trail heading west from the end of the Sullivan Gulch Trail at the saddle. This will take you on a more adventuresome route to Point 7524. Some maps (and my GPS) show a trail heading north from the saddle. You will be able to start on that but it will fritter out in the meadows of Sullivan Park. No matter, just follow the path of least resistance and you can reach the Crosier Mountain Trail as it comes up from the Garden Gate TH on CR43. This could create a point-to-point route with a car shuttle. As others have noted, parking is very limited at the TH. But, there are ample pullouts along Hwy 34 near the TH. Many used by fisherfolk.

A bit hard to find and the parking lot only has room for maybe 6 vehicles. The forest was great hiking through...it poured before we started and lightly rained as we hiked up into the mountains, but most of the trail was perfect (a few slippery mud, rock sections) but pretty easy.

Up and up but short and fun. Mountain Lion poop and a guy on the trail talk of a sighting yesterday. Awesome views on the top. Only saw a few people this morning. Will go back for sure.

A nice quick hike! Perfect for conditioning, it definitely challenged me just enough. The views were so worth it. Definitely worth it to hang out for a while once you get to the top, the views are amazing. Didn't run into a ton of people either! Parking space was limited.

4/21/20 Great trail for a short incline workout! The trail is mostly dry with a few patches of snow, but it’s mostly all melted. Didn’t see another person on the trail and brought my husky puppy. Would definitely do again!

Completed today with regular hiking boots but I’d recommend poles or spikes if you have them. 360* Views at the top but the actual hike itself wasn’t anything special in the woods. Short distance on this hike but a considerable elevation gain.

This trail was a great, easy winter hike! Steepness isn’t bad considering how short the trial is. Beautiful view of the other side of the canyon! Ice wasn’t an issue, snow was pretty packed.

Went middle of the day on a beautiful, warm fall Saturday and only ran in to one couple with their dogs who commented on how steep/difficult the trek up was as they let me pass, I believe they turned back shortly after as I did not see them again. All that to say, this trail is great if you want a quick and intense bun burner, but is not necessarily a leisurely stroll up. ~900 ft climb in one mile. The 360 degree views at the top are wonderful and do make it worth it. I brought my dog and was a bit paranoid about the Mountain Lions, it definitely feels like their turf. Be careful and be prepared. We saw fresh, large cat poop on the way down...

Fantastic hike. Not as good as Sky Pond, Hanging Lake or others, but I’m giving it five stars for value, beauty, seclusion, and proximity. There was next to zero snow on 10/12. The turn off for the hike is narrow and you’ll miss it if you blink. If you’re heading west, it’s an extreme right turn into the turnoff. We drove past it and then made a u-turn. It’s much easier to turn into it if you’re coming east. Also, there’s next-to-zero signage, save for a little wooden plaque nailed to a tree that’s not really visible from the road. The turnoff has space for about three cars to park.

This trail was a fun, quick hike. I loved that it wasn’t too populated (we only saw one other couple). Some of the rocks were a big step/climb for my short legs, but it was completely worth it. A good workout hike because of the incline and 100% worth the effort because of the views at the top.

Hesitant to give this trail five stars because it’s definitely a hidden gem. Not heavily populated, awesome views and quickly get away from the sound of traffic. It is a difficult hike and has few switch backs so be wary during snowy times. Was great today, hiked in chacos and shorts. If you’re sensitive to vegetation I’d wear pants and shoes!

Brought my 2 dogs for a short hike. My 25# dog had some issues going over some rocks but all in all we got a great hike in. Saw a couple cars parked but pretty much had the whole trail to ourselves. The entrance to the parking area is a little narrow.

Short, but a good hike. Good hike for training our dog.

Awesome tough lil trail. Starts out steep and then levels for a bit and then it’s real steep for the last 400 or so of vertical. We made it a bit over a mile by walking along the top for a bit. Another reviewer mentioned that you should wear pants. And you should! This was the only hike I did in shorts and my legs were a bit cut up. Nothing terrible, but wear pants. Really worth it! Beautiful scenery and you feel accomplished afterwards!

One of my favorite training hikes. Short but steep. Nice views and rarely another soul around.

This is a nice little hike. It is a fairly step constant incline, so don’t let the length fool you, you will keep your heart rate up! This is not a hike to do in sandals-like chacos, definitely wear close toed shoes. Also would recommend wear pants instead of shorts as there are enough bushes that will make it a little uncomfortable in shorts. I did wear shorts, not that it was terrible, but would wear light pants next time. The view was great up top. Be mindful going down as there are a lot of loose rocks and the decline is step. Overall this little short hike packed a punch I honestly wasn’t expecting!

Difficult to make the turn heading west, but you can pull over just past it and turn around and easily pull in heading east. Trail starts immediately. Trail is well defined. Nice hike, lots to see. Beautiful views at the top. We saw a herd of bighorns right at the summit. Watch for cactus.

Gorgeous 360 views at the top! Take the little spur walks for some beautiful spots for a little picnic or reading. The hike itself is steep and rocky, but not very long or terribly difficult. Loads of wildflowers in the summer. I went on a Monday morning and had the whole trail to myself with my dog. Careful in winter, as these canyon trails don't get much sun and therefore stay pretty wet/icy/snowy. The parking is easy to miss, but the map is accurate. Not sure why the description mentions horse use-- as a rider even in these mountains, I wouldn't ride this one. Too much loose rock, and would have to park a trailer up or down the highway.

Steep yet serene with incredible views at the top. 90 min RT

This trail was an absolute beautiful hike. A lot of greenery, and a lot of flowers were out. With all this rain it really made everything pop. having gone up this trail multiple times, it is always definitely worth it at the top.

Great little hike, trail smelled like feet. Previous reviews about parking are accurate. It’s much easier to see heading east on 34. Almost looks like a private drive. Ascent is a pretty steady incline but never too steep. Once you hit the end of the trail up top, might as well continue east 1/2ish mile through the grass and trees to the highest rock. A very short scramble gives you some great 360 views. Took us about 1:30 with a couple short breathers on the way up and a few minutes enjoying the summit.

Be on the lookout. Hiked on 7/13 and my dog ate a mushroom (I got most of it out her mouth) and she came down with poisoning 4 hours later and was unresponsive. Currently recovering at the emergency vet hospital.

Sun May 26 2019

I would say 3.5 stars but I’m a native of Loveland and just heard about this trail. Apart from a few trees you have to climb over and some VERY unstable rocks its very nice. Going up was actually easier then going down. MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONFIDENT IN YOU FOOTSTEPS COMING DOWN. I fell about 5 feet on the very rock part coming down (I am fine. Just warning others). Over all it’s a pretty nice hike.

Fri May 24 2019

Beautiful hike! The views at the top are worth the climb! Not sure I made to the very end, there was a path lined with quartz (I think) that led to an outcropping of rocks. Could see the Loveland area to the west and some very high peaks I assume are in Rocky Mountain National Park. Pretty sure I was looking at Longs Peak. Some nice ice melt water was still in shallow bowls in the rock where I stopped so I took advantage and cooled off my feet before heading back down. Took me about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Great for a short hike uphill! loved the woods

Sun Apr 28 2019

This entrance is easy to miss if your not looking for it closely. If there is room to park the trail starts right away. There’s only about 4 spots available for parking and we had to park on the grassy area. The trail starts very rocky with a lot of trees and thins out the higher you go. I’m not a avid hiker, so the incline was challenging for me. Definitely got my heart pounding and legs burning! :) The view at the top was beautiful. It was a great, quick hike that I would do again!