Learn more

Stormy Peaks Trail is a 12.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November.

Length 12.1 mi Elevation gain 3,477 ft Route type Out & Back

No dogs

Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

Directions from Fort Collins: Take Highway 14 west about 30 miles to the Pingree Park Road (County Road 63E). Take the Pingree Park Road south. Follow this road about 15 miles to the Stormy Peaks Trailhead, near Pingree Park.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (34)
Photos (110)
Recordings (29)
Completed (54)
Melissa H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

super amazing and awesome, not too hard, beautiful views. Rocky and very green.

View Melissa's Recording
Pat Burger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2020

Nice quiet trail.

View Pat's Recording
Jessica B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Solo hikers beware...went about 4 miles in and came across a man on the trail who was exposed. He had a small dog with him and no hiking gear. The dog got my attention first but when I looked up it was apparent what he was doing... When he noticed I realized, (no, he wasn’t peeing) he quickly zipped up his pants. I wanted to tell the Rangers but the office was closed by the time I got back down the mountain. I’ll be calling in tomorrow to give them the FYI. Also, The trail is terribly marked. Don’t waste your time trying to see the B-17 crash if your goal is Stormy Peaks. When you get to the fork in the road, go straight. The trail sign is a bit hidden behind some tree branches. Finally, beware the Buckhorn Rd to Pingree Park...1.25 straight hour of gravel, rocky, roads. I highly suggest a vehicle with 4 wheel drive and great tires!

Kelsey Peters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2020
HikingRockySnow

Didn’t need the snowshoes or spikes, but there were a couple snow spots to walk around or over.

View Kelsey's Recording
Derek Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 7, 2020
HikingMuddySnow

Very nice hike. Great views of Pingree park and the CSU Mountain Campus along the trail. This time of year, about 2.5 - 3.0 miles in, snow shoes are required. The trail is difficult to follow due to the snow coverage. A GPS is highly recommended after this point. Travel is also slow because the snow shoes must be repeatedly put on and taken off. There are still some great views before the snowy sections.

Jarred Bland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 5, 2020
View Jarred's Recording
Katt Crowdis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 16, 2020
HikingSnow

Pretty terrain! However currently beginning at 2.5 miles it’s practically impassable without snowshoes. I continued for half a mile and had hip height potholing. I really wouldn’t suggest going much further hiking until June.

View Katt's Recording
Scott Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 16, 2020
Hiking

One of my favorite days from my Colorado Backpacking Trip. Absolutely amazing. We even turned the corner to a large moose in the way of our path

Megan Senour
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 17, 2019
HikingSnow

Trail was hard to follow a little bit around 3.5 miles. Only found it from someone else who was on the trail with us. Only saw one other person on the trail. A good amount of snow, but still an awesome hike!

View Megan's Recording
Robby L.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 26, 2019
HikingRocky

Hiked on 09-26-2019. Hiked to Stormy Peaks Pass. Upon entering the Comanche Peak Wilderness Area, the trail gets steep, rocky, and rough, even more so through the Park. Hiking uphill, occasional great views to the right of the valley and Comanche Peak, Fall Mountain, etc. Once you leave the forest, you're deposited into a valley with the Stormy Peaks to your left. The pass itself is rather unspectacular, but the valley you're hiking in is dramatic. I didn't try to climb any of the peaks because of gale-force winds roaring up the valley. Coming down the pass before I got back into the forest, I had to lean my body into the typhoon, the wind almost knocked me over a few times. I also did the hike to Emmaline Lake and Mummy Pass this summer (same area out of Pingree Park), and although this hike to Stormy Peaks Pass was great, if you only have time for one hike in this area, I think Emmaline Lake or Mummy Pass are more rewarding.

Josue Rodriguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2019
Hiking

Did this trail August 1st. Beautiful sights with a fun elevation gain time. All cleared out.

Emmi Crowe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2019
View Emmi's Recording
Monica Olsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 2, 2018
Hiking

Started near CSU Mountain Campus and hiked up to 3.1 miles to where sign says entering Rocky Mountain National Park. Our main intent was to see the B-17 crash site, but the directions are very misleading on All Trails so very disappointing. The day was beautiful in the beginning but became very hot on the way back and couldn’t wait to leave. Walking through the trail with the Alpine trees was my favorite. Not enough water for me. I like seeing waterfalls and streams and this trail had very little of that. View at top was pretty though.

Sandra Gomez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2018

hubby and i enjoyed the view that we saw the snow block path up neither of us had spikes and grandson enjoyed the hike

G Lewis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2017
Hiking

Nice steady hike with tremendous views.

Audrey Farr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 14, 2017

wish I could have completed this trail, but we hit deeper snow and I had my baby with me. We weren't prepared to continue, but from what I did see it was a beautiful area and I'd love to return and complete the trail.

Alex Prigge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 3, 2016
Hiking

Tough scramble to the top of the peak, but definitely a good hike!

Carissa Black
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 22, 2016
First to Review

I did this hike a while ago, but it looks like my review was lost? Anyway, from what I remember it's pretty tough, took a whole day. You come out of the woods into a nice meadow where you walk over to the base of the peak. I really liked the meadow, lots of flowers when I was there. The scramble up to the top of stormy peak took a while but was worth it for the view. Clouds rolled in fast, so be on the lookout and give yourself plenty of time to get back in the trees. I think i remember getting off trail and lost for a bit on my way back out. There were cairns but I'd missed one maybe?

Wendy Turner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2020
View Wendy's Recording
Cody Elder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2020
View Cody's Recording
Leighton Macalister
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
View Leighton's Recording
Eric Fetherman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
View Eric 's Recording
Jill Gannon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
View Jill's Recording
Damien Hunter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 16, 2020
View Damien's Recording
Peyton Haifley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 7, 2020
Snowshoeing
View Peyton's Recording
RICHARD SMITH
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2019
View RICHARD's Recording
Drew Valdez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 19, 2019
View Drew's Recording