Storm Mountain OHV Route

Storm Mountain OHV Route is a 16.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Drake, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for ohv/off road driving and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 16.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,802 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

This route closes seasonally. Please check the Roosevelt National Forest website to ensure it's open before visiting. Although hikers can hike along the road, this route is an off-road driving route. If drivers want more of a challenge, this route connects to other off-road driving routes in the Roosevelt National Forest.

Great trail! Stock Nissan Xterra pro-4x with some Toyo all terrains, no problem. Pretty muddy now, nothing too deep. Likely impassible at the end without 4x4. Had a blast!

ohv/off road driving

rocky climb near the beginning has gotten noticably more difficult to get up since I last went. would recommend a locker or removed swaybars. cherokee xj 2 inch lift on 31s had to turn around for the first time due to not being able to get up,

My Subaru made it to an area about a mile down the forest access road where you then need an ATV/dirt bike to continue to the peak. No water sights. Weather was fair, partly cloudy and we saw no wildlife at all.

ohv/off road driving

Very short trail, but the views are awesome.

ohv/off road driving

Pretty rocky, only one real obstacle near the beginning. Made it just fine in my stock height samurai. The view from the top is amazing

ohv/off road driving

This trail was great! We took up our side by sides and had a blast, amazing views. A little difficult to get up there with a longer trailer but well worth the drive.

ohv/off road driving

Took my 4 wheeler up for the first time. Really nice riding for being so close to Loveland.

ohv/off road driving

We drove this trail on 7/17. It was a fun trail and the views from the top were amazing! We drove it with a lifted Jeep Wrangler.

ohv/off road driving

Decent trail for a stock rig, took my wrangler and a stock Renegade Trail Hawk - wide enough to pick good lines and good obstacles for novice drivers.

The 4 wheel part is not open yet even though the conditions look fine. A car can make it up the parts that are open. Disappointment for off road driving but there are two spots that people parked at to hike on that looked great. Didn’t have a chance to hike. Great views!

closed

Tested F150 4x4. Great drive! Closed where blue line starts. Gate with a lock and fence around. Not even sure about regular hike. Almost no parking, but turn around at the gate.

closed

Went up there on March 24th, closed. Probably cause of the huge snow storm that went through. Went on this trail last year, deffinetly worth it! Amazing view at the top. Made it the first time in my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. Stock. Like a champ!

closed

I went up to this trail but unfortunately it’s closed during the winter so I did not get to drive it :( looking forward to it this summer though!

Fri Sep 28 2018

I drove Storm Mountain 128 and 153 with my girlfriend in her stock 17 Rubicon unlimited. It cleared all exposed rock obstacles. However, there is 1 section I did not chance on the end of the steep climb on 153. Only had 1 jeep and no winch. Other than that, it was a great time! I saw a couple other jeeps along the trail. The aspen are changing. I also saw several turkey with poults. Saw 1 yote on the trail. Good times, check this spot.

Mon Sep 24 2018

+great view at the top +pleasant trail +saw a huge moose -only one challenging spot at the beginning -app is not accurate for trailhead, I had to ask locals. you'll come to a 3 way stop in an opening near the end of where the app wants you to go. the app wants you to go left, but go right. roughly a quarter mile down the road you'll see a house on the left side of the road with a red(if I recall correctly) door and a hard left turn by the house, take the left. I wrote these directions from memory from 2 months ago, but I'm pretty confident that's right.

Wed Sep 19 2018

The trailhead is on private property and completely blocked off. The road up is an easy off-road trail. That’s what we recorded. Super bummed.

Sun Aug 12 2018

I posted pics with turn directions, to find this Trail is a bit confusing. If they don’t post under this Trail, look at my profile and click “photos”

Thu Jun 28 2018

great views, fun climb. did the out and back on 153. Storm Mtn Dr to fork with a brown wood sign marked forest access 128 pointed right, then just follow the trail all the way to the top. The loop at the summit might be hairy in a stock height vehicle but there's plenty of room to turn around at the base of the loop.

Thu May 31 2018

Just as stated in multiple previous reviews, the trailhead marked here is incorrect (actually a private road). Follow Storm Mountain Drive until you reach a fork with a sign pointing right labelled Forest Road 128; veer right and you should hit the trail gate. From here youre on a gravel forest road (FDR153). Great views of the Front Range and Plains after a moderately steep climb. The portion labelled Storm Mountain Trail is not well marked and has many fallen trees across the path. Again, this ends in private property...next time I'll just be going out and back on 153, not doing the loop around, to avoid trespassing. Overall a nice trail close to Loveland/Ft.Collins, especially since 34 is open again.

Sat Aug 12 2017

Vear right at the fork on highway 34 at the Drake turnoff. the road to start the ascent is just at the bridge on the right side of the road. was a lot of fun, but cloudy day limited visibility. not too technical. stock trail 4 runner did just fine.

Thu Jul 20 2017

The directions to the trail are incorrect but my cousin and I had the best time on this trail. Would not recommend for a first time off road experience but definitely worth your time.

Tue Jul 04 2017