Storm King Mountain Memorial Trail

Storm King Mountain Memorial Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glenwood Springs, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The route isn't 3.5 round trip. It's closer to 6-7 if you out and back it.

Soooo intense. We made it to the look out point but decided to make the trek to the actual memorial with all the head stones. It was so worth it to see all of them but it was an incredibly difficult incline! Great work out.

Went on an emotional hike up Storm King mountain. It was beautiful, but eery at the same time. In 1994, there was a fire that claimed the lives of 14 brave firefighters. It’s a steep hike with 14 crosses surrounded by momentos from where the firefighters had passed. I was glad to reflect and do this hike in solitude. No snow currently or mud :)

I gave it four stars because of the mud and ice. it was hard to come up and down the hike because I kept slipping (I had good hiking boots on too) I took my dog with me who is a Maltese Yorkey mix and by the end of the hike she was covered in mud. The hike is extremely beautiful and I would recommend it during the spring or fall or as long as there’s no rain or snow. If you do go on this hike I recommend taking a stick or some sort of pole to balance you on your way up and down the trail. I would recommend wearing good hiking boots if you decide to go during this time. Overall, I loved the scenery and would do it again!

Extremely difficult trail, especially in the winter. The memorials are a powerful reminder of how challenging it can be out there. Worth a hike to better understand the hard work of our firefighters.

Hard & often steep especially grueling in the heat & sun. I advise going up early by 7-8 am. it's much more enjoyable when you aren't hiking in the scorching heat because there's very little shade to be found. Well worth the effort. take plenty of water & snacks to keep your protein & your blood sugar in good shape. Almost has a hallowed sense to it especially as you approach the helicopter pads. enjoy! beautiful fabulous great great work out I really like the hike

Did the loop counterclockwise. At about 1.5 miles there was a fork & I kept straight, which turned out to not be the AllTrails route. No matter since it eventually rejoined the official route. Note that the total amount of climbing is about 1650 ft because of the "extra" grade going down & back up the gully. Although the trail is quite steep, the saving grace is that there are several more or less level sections which give you a break. Overall a great workout!

I hiked this one with my good friend who is an avid hiker too. She had climbed this several times before. it was my first time. we got to the 2nd helicopter pad had a tremendous day. it was breathtakingly beautiful. For me, as we got up onto Storm King mountain it became almost a feel of being on hallowed ground ... given the fire and those courageous men & women that fought for us here in Colorado and lost their lives. Strenuous work out. Really enjoyed it& will hike this trail many more times

Beautiful. Definitely get on the trail as early as possible to avoid the sun. A

Great hike. Steep at times. Especially around the memorials. Like others have said, very little shade. Try and do the hike in the early morning.

What a wonderful trail! The history is presented well and makes you appreciate the challenge of the forest fire. There's very little shade so keep that in mind. It was one of my favorites and would do it again!

Monday, May 15, 2017

The trail is not a natural line and was built to arrive at memorials for firemen who sacrificed their lives fighting a fire. The trailhead has information and vistas with signage.
The strong steep start is stated at 700' gain, follows up a ridge line then through a valley and after up towards the memorials.
Minimal shade only at the beginning, I would recommend a spring hike over the summer season; bring additional water.
A somber reflection awaits at the top with offering left for lost loved ones.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

I've done it twice and will do it again soon before it gets too hot. Steep at first, not much shade. Really gives you an idea what the firefighters had to deal with and includes wonderful memorials for each person who died on the mountain. Very somber hike.

Monday, May 01, 2017

My son and I hiked this today, April 30th. Steep climb to the observation point with gorgeous views. Very challenging climb and descents to the memorials of the brave souls. Plan on about 5 to 6 miles of challenging trails but well worth it! A very inspirational journey!

Monday, April 03, 2017

Great trail...the memorials at the end got to me. Sad. The Storm King 14 are hero's. Makes you appreciate life even more. Lots of work done to the trail...awesome

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

So glad I watched the YouTube video before tackling this trail. Every time I started feeling tired, I thought about the fact that I was only carrying a backpack that weighed about 5 lbs. compared to the 30-60 lbs. of equipment the firefighters were carrying. It definitely reinforced my respect for firefighters.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

It was quite difficult to find the place. We drove all the way to Silt (from Glenwood springs) and had to drive back. The beginning of the trail is very steep. The views are great. An ok trail overall.

Monday, October 03, 2016

It's longer than described. If you do the full lollipop loop expect about 4 miles. That's a big difference considering that the trail is completely exposed. You'll be baking under the sun longer than you prepared for. Otherwise, a nice tribute to fallen firefighters.

Friday, August 12, 2016

This was an amazing hike. Not an easy one but, well worth it.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

This was an awesome hike and a fitting tribute to the 14 firefighters who lost their lives. Definitely recommend watching the documentary on YouTube before you hike. Really puts it all into perspective.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

This is a fantastic hike that offers some challenging terrain and great views.

It's a very fitting tribute to the firefighters who lost their lives fighting the South Canyon fire.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

so beautiful and peaceful! definitely a great hike, be prepared to feel the burn. bring lots of water. the memorial was beautiful.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Love this trail great workout but I can't emphasize water water water enough.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Beautiful hike, pretty steep inclines throughout the hike. The views at the top are especially breathtaking. Bring plenty of water! Of the two times I've completed this hike I've run out of water. My three dogs loved this hike!

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Nice incline with some nice shade the first mile. After mile 1 you descend some where around 200 ft and climb to a point on the other ridge higher then the 1 mile point with mostly full sun exposure. Great early spring hike or early in the day departure from the TH. Take water for yourself and your 4 legged buddy!

Monday, April 25, 2016

Hard, but worth the effort. It is one of my favorite, and now a favorite of my three year old.

Monday, November 30, 2015

Great hike with historic context. Definitely watch the YouTube documentary before you go.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Start early in day in summer. Gets very hot. We didn't bring enough water and all three of us ran out. Luckily we were hiking on the way down.

Monday, September 07, 2015

Great, this is a frequent and favorite with beautiful views and a really good workout. Holds meaning and significance as it is a memorial and a tribute to the fourteen firefighters who lost their lives fighting the Storm King fire in 1994❤️. You can keep going past the memorials up to the top for an awesome view of the river running through the South Canyon, Take water and go early as it is dry and can get pretty hot in the middle of the day.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

This was a very pretty hike. The views are remarkable and the tough sections make it worth it. The memorials to the lives lost fighting a rampant fire here in 1994 are a good reminder of how volatile and fierce nature can be.