Staunton Ranch Trail to Mason Creek Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(67)
Staunton State Park

Staunton Ranch Trail to Mason Creek Trail Loop is a 8.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Conifer, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,604 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

cave

historic site

fee

NOTE: State park day or annual pass required. From low grasslands and pine meadows to high granite cliffs and waterfalls, this full-day adventure will take you through every bit of beauty that Staunton State Park has to offer. Your journey will include stops at Catamount Overlook, Pike Peak Overlook, Eagle Cliffs Overlook, Old Mill Site, Staunton Rocks, Elk Falls Pond, Elk Falls Overlook, and Elk Falls itself. Bonus:If you go at the right time of year, you'll be able to extend from Elk Falls Overlook to loop around Lion's Head, which is normally closed March 15-July 31 to keep the nesting Raptors safe. From the Eastern parking lot, head just north to Dimes Meadow(DM) trail, which you'll take East to Mason Creek,(MC) trail where you'll turn North and begin your day! From the beginning, the mapped route is: DM-MC-BP-MC-BL-BE-LB-EF-CR-MP-SL-SR-Parking lot Enjoy!

Arrived at around 11. The trail itself wasn’t super condensed with hikers until about the last bit (around 1pm). Beautiful sights. Would recommend having a light jacket, as there’s still a touch of snow on the ground.

fee

Great first time hike there but my phone died towards the end of the hike so it didn't finish recording my hike. Definitely a great spot for mountain bikers. If you do the full loop as I did it's not 8 miles but closer to 14 miles I'd say. If you do that then bring a couple of liters of water and some snacks to keep your energy up. Also, if you plan to do the entire loop, don't bring your dog because it's too big of a hike but if you do the side trails the dogs will do fine.

Heads up, def need to have a state park day or annual pass, they will check your vehicles. I came out to the trail on 15 May and had a great hike. I had to take the Bear Paw detour due to a section of the Mason Creek trail being closed. As I hiked the trail counter-clockwise, I chose to take the turn onto Old Mill since the Bear Paw detour added about 2 miles to my hike. I saw a few deer. I saw less than 20 people on my hike, and that wasn't until the last 2 miles or so as I was finishing and they were starting.

God this was a beautiful hike, not difficult at all and I saw at least 3 heard of deer. Breathtaking

Is there a cave here?

Great trail series. I detoured to add the Scout Line loop as well. About 10+ miles. This would be insane on a weekend and impossible to social distance. As it was about 50% of people wearing masks and many don’t make any effort to move aside. Still - great day and trail loop.

Waaaaaay to many people to even be enjoyable especially with attempting to social distance. Not fun getting off the trail every 30 secs to try and give people space. Wish this effort went both ways but some people seem okay with passing shoulder to shoulder on narrow trails and I just don’t get it.. 50% had face coverings which was nice to see but what about the other 50%!? We started hiking at 1:30pm and finally the crowd thinned out around 3:30pm or after we got to the back half portion of this hike. Guess 45 min outside of Denver, isn’t far enough to feel like you’re actually surrounded by peaceful nature. Favorite part of the hike, Staunton Overlook and the back-half of the trail! Overall trail is in good passable condition!

Still open, it was a great hike not too busy, trail was dry.

Staunton park Meadow parking lot. Counter clock wise direction. I turned around because of snow.

Easy trail to take your dog or kid, great views and amazing exercise!

Arrive 8:30 parking avail

Hiked when overcast and it was perfect! Plenty of shade spots. Paths are wide and well taken care of. Bathrooms were clean. Hiked 8 wonderful miles. Love this park.

Fri Mar 22 2019

We hiked a section of this trail yesterday. We went from Staunton Ranch to a few other trails (that’s the beauty of this park!) for a total of just over 4 miles. We were somewhat limited on time, so stayed in lower trails. Traction isn’t necessary, but was helpful. There is snow, ice, mud and dry dirt trail. We encountered one group camping and one cyclist, one ice fisherman on Davis Ponds, just one other group hiking. Pretty area!

Sun Sep 23 2018

A nice little loop. As others have noted, it gets crowded later in the day. Starting at 8 am, I was able to miss most of the crowds.

Sat Jul 28 2018

Beautiful loop. The key is, as with most trails of course, is to start early. Took this one clockwise and began at 7am. Very serene beginning - I only shared the trail with a family of deer and a few squirrels. Part of Mason Creek portion is still closed for renovation so you will be rerouted to include Bear Paw as part of the loop. It adds a couple extra miles but is well worth it. The lookouts are fantastic. I took early lunch gazing out at the valley and distant ranges at Eagle Cliffs - don’t miss it. Plenty of wild flowers and aspen groves along the way. Lots of people on the way down late morning so an early start is worth the effort. Enjoy!

Sat Jan 27 2018

Really beautiful today. You can make this loop a little longer by doing the bear paw loop as well. Great snowshoeing conditions The ranger said we would need spikes and snowshoes. Although someone else on the trail was wearing spikes we never took them out (but it did get a little icy). Saw a TON of deer. The pup loved it.

Mon Jan 08 2018

Mason Creek to the Bear Paw Loop (not shown on this map) is one of our favorites. Nice steady climb along the stream. Bear Paw has three excellent lookouts along the way. Make the extra trek to Eagle Cliffs. Awesome views. There were a few patches of ice along Mason Creek but very doable with just hiking boots. Not very crowded in January. Watch out for bikes.

Mon Nov 20 2017

Rode this clockwise (SR to BL to MC) - steady climb on trail that was not too technical and no hike-a-bike sections. Final three miles of downhill went too fast, as it always does. There were some snowy spots, but not icy, so I could still manage on a mountain bike. I might prefer this counter-clockwise to grind out the climb and enjoy a 4-ish mile descent. The middle offers a saddleback with about 300 feet down to the Old Mill Site and 300 feet back up over the next hill. Tracking with Runkeeper shows 9.25 miles with 1300 feet of elevation gain.

Tue Oct 10 2017

Easy trail dotted with aspens and snow. For an afternoon hike, we only passed three people the entire time. Gates now closing at 7:30pm.

Mon Sep 04 2017

Fun day hike, plenty of spots to stop for a view. There were a lot of mountain bikers but all very courteous.

Sun Jun 11 2017

i really enjoyed it. ended up being a 10-mile loop. plenty to see, and great sustainable grade around the park. highly recommend. see my photos!

Mon Jun 05 2017

This is really a special place. With moderate trails and decent lengths for bikes, I'm sure it is always going to be a little busy on weekends. However the trails are generally wide and easy to share. I would suggest taking the Bear Paw trail up to Eagles Cliff overlook for a stunning view over the valley, Mt Evans to the north, Pikes Peak to the south and the continental divide to the west

Sat Jun 03 2017

I haven't mountain biked singletrack in over a year; I used to ride competitively. This was the perfect loop trail to reintroduce my legs and lungs to high altitude biking. Even on a Saturday it wasn't overly crowded and the weather was perfect. Just a few very minor technical spots...mostly 6 miles of grinding gradual uphill with a rewarding 3 mile hauling ass and banging it out over a few rock beds on the way down. Absolutely beautiful ride.

Mon Apr 17 2017

My second time to Staunton. First visit did the Davis Pond trail, which was really mellow and perfect for that day. Had the time today to explore a bit more and really appreciate the variety of terrain. Stopped at the Old Saw mill for rest and a snack. can hardly wait to return and venture out to Elk Falls lookout.

Sat Apr 08 2017

Staunton SP is definitely a new favorite! This trail was diverse and challenging, and best of all, not overcrowded! On a warm Saturday morning we saw only one other couple along the 4 miles of Mason Creek trail (this bit was snowy but definitely passable), and while the southern part of the park was busier, it was nowhere near as bad as many other trails within an hour's drive of Denver. Can't wait to go back to explore the elk falls area!

Wed Mar 08 2017

Beautiful even with the construction at the beginning of the trail