Staunton Ranch and Bugling Elk Loop Trail

Staunton Ranch and Bugling Elk Loop Trail is a 8.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pine, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Staunton Ranch Trail is a wide trail and the central avenue to navigate Staunton State Park.

Nicely marked trail, never a question on where you’re going. Well maintained too. Not the best hike for views since your hiking within view of the service road for about 3 miles of the hike-unless you go past the pond to the falls (another 1.5 miles) which is well worth the extra mileage. elevation change is pretty minor. Overall did about 10.8 miles in 4 hrs.

Beautiful scenery. There's never really any mountain views, since it's a front range hike, but the area is just great. We did Staunton Ranch to Bugling Elk to Marmot Pass to Scout Line back to Staunton Ranch. It was probably about 10 miles total. The only elevation was on MP and SL. Took us about 5 hours with lunch at the pond. This would be a good fall hike bc of all the Aspen trees.

great hiking for all levels of adventure seekers. went over the holiday weekend and the park handled a full crowd of people. many highlights! if you haven't been in this park yet it is sure to be a delight to you..

I was in town visiting family and had picked this particular park out for my first Colorado hiking adventure (with RMNP coming up 2 days later.) My cousin went with me and we were at the ranger station along 7:15 in the morning and set off by 7:30am. he weather was chilly at first but within the first hour, I was down to a fleece sweater only. While it was cool, the weather warmed up quickly. The weather was perfect
for hiking and we saw so many deer in the park on the trail while hiking.

We saw many who were out hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Everyone was polite and keeping to LNT principles.

We started out on Staunton Ranch and did the overlook trail to Bugling Elk and back around to Elk Falls Pond. Suffice to say, the view was amazing and the water so crystal clear. There were a few places where there was still some snow - mostly in the shade
of the trees - but mostly the trail was manageable with no additional gear, provided you were mindful of your steps. If you're on the Staunton Ranch trail and before the overlook, there is a stream for filling bottles, provided it's also filtered.

Considering I only arrived into Denver the afternoon before, the climbs were challenging but also fun (coming from a very low elevation location.)

We took our time and arrived at the pond along around 10am. Elk Pond is a gorgeous place for a break, snack, pictures, and refilling water with a filter.

On our way out there was a group doing service maintenance and clearing out dead wood.

Park Volunteer Jenna lapped us twice and was so helpful out on the trails. We asked some questions and she had an abundance of information for us, too.

If I had more time, I would have tried to do Chimney trail and Lion's Head. Suffice that's what will be saved for next time.

My fourth time up and took another new trail. We made it to the waterfall, about 10 miles round trip. A few snowy parts but we were fine with just our hiking poles.

Extremely well maintained trails, signs, and routes. Pick up a map on the way in (it's a state park so $7/day or $70/yr annual pass). The route here corresponds to: Staunton Ranch Trail, to Scout Line Trail, to Marmot Passage Trail, to Bugling Elk Trail, finishing on Staunton Ranch Trail again. If you have the sunlight, weather, and energy, tack on the Lion's Back Trail to Lion's Head (+3mi). Awesome views!

I went last week and the trail was fantastic... snowpacked at points but no need for extra traction beyond normal hiking boots... only saw 3 other ppl there on a Wednesday... fantastic trail and well maintained... I will definitely be returning!

Agree with reviewer Kevin. There are many trails to follow. Get a map and plan your route. I took the Mason creek trail to old mill to Staunton ranch to do about an 8 mile loop and it was all trees the entire way.Very peaceful with some uphill and a few switchbacks and not many people, but I was hoping for a Mountain View. It was icy in many spots but I didn’t use spikes and I was fine.

First off, Staunton has a number of options for all levels of hikers (or just walkers). This review isn’t specific to the route in the map of this post, and that’s because you can make your hike whatever you want.

A buddy and I ended up doing 17.85 miles at this park including 3 overlook locations and a waterfall. Get the map to the park and make a determination off how far and how difficult you want your hike to be. Just make sure you know how to read contour lines :-)

Almost no wildlife, but we went in March. Parking lot was crowded, but hardly saw anyone while hiking.

Gorgeous!

2.1.18 - Insane 360° views! I didn't see a single other person on the trail today. Very well-worn and marked path. Definitely on the easy side of "moderate". Saw three elk packs during the trek. Highly recommend!!

Fall hiking here is beautiful. Not a lot of people and plenty of wild life to see. The hardest part of hiking here is picking which trail to do. They all offer something special, which brings you back over and over again.

Lots of colors at the lookout!

Hike

My mom and I went on a Sunday morning (about 8:30am) and it was a beautiful day. We wanted to make it a half day so we went on the Staunton trail and back the same way. This totals to about 6.5 miles. I was surprised to see that such few people were there at that time. They did start showing up as time went on. This was a gorgeous and peaceful hike. A lot of trees but also some spots for sunshine. We didn't use sunscreen and did just fine. There seem to be so many trail options. Cant wait to hike more!

Not the best views, but a nice rolling hike with clearly marked trails, ample parking and only a few others around!

Trail was a mix we took Staunton ranch trail (easy) to Scout line Mod/hard depending on ones condition. lot of rock climbs and switch backs. we then took mason Creek trail to the bond, looped to bulging Elk trail, back onto Staunton Ranch trail. all in all a 10.42 mile hike. Beautiful park and we all enjoyed the lack of people and the scenery.

Incredible hike, especially if you make it to the lower part of Elk Falls.

This is now one of my favorite hikes. We parked down by Elk Creek Road and took the Staunton Ranch Trail to Scout Line Trail, then we jumped on Marmot Passage Trail to Chimney Rock Trail which took us to Elk Falls.... spectacular! Coming back, we went from Chimney Rock to Bugling Elk Trail which took us back to Staunton Ranch Trail. The whole journey was 13.2 miles of breathtaking views, wild raspberries and wildlife. Can't wait to go back and check out the Mason Creek Trail!

Easy hike not too far from the city. Pretty good views and well-kept trail--if you're not trying to drive far I would recommend this loop. $7 entrance fee

Put in 14+ miles hiking today. Definitely recommend the waterfall followed by the overlook. West Meadow following the overlook is a nice contrast. Save hiking Marmot Pass then Scout Line (hiking only) for the go home leg. Perfect way to finish the hike.

I'm pretty fit and suggest 2 liters of water minimum IMO for the route I did.

Beautiful hike through a valley, great for hiking with kids or new hikers. I would label this easy except for distance. Lots of other people, I'd try again on a weekday. Also there is a fee to enter the park.

Great trails, wide, not rocky. Beautiful scenery and lots of walking through trees. Definitely going again!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

We need a bit of a different hike to elk falls. Staunton ranch trail - scout line - marmot passage - chimney rock - elk falls and then came back they bugling elk - Staunton ranch. Put us at just under 11 miles RT. Great hike. Great views. Lots of sunshine! All trails varied from easy to moderate to a little challenging after your legs are dead from previous climbs haha. Really enjoy all the different trails. Lots of mountain bikers and horseback

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Wonderful trail with lots of birds and other wildlife. We saw a moose close to Elk Falls Pond.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Loved the 9-mile loop hike. Incredible views of Evans and Pikes Peak.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Great reward at the end if you hike to the falls overlook which is 1.1 mi past the end of this hike.roundtrip is 11.4 miles.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Great trail! Well marked and not difficult. Had some great views on the back side of the hike.

Monday, October 17, 2016

We actually hiked to Elk Falls (not in AllTrails) which was 12 miles out and back. It was pretty easy hike, we even took my 9 yr old with no complaints! Started around 10am, finished at 530pm not very busy at all. Saw 3 coyotes on the road on the way up and tons of mule deer along the trail. We did get hailed on, had to hide under some trees, but the waterfall was beautiful. Volunteers did drive by twice during our hike. Great biking trails also!