Staunton Ranch and Bugling Elk Loop Trail

Staunton Ranch and Bugling Elk Loop Trail is a 8.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pine, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Staunton Ranch Trail is a wide trail and the central avenue to navigate Staunton State Park.

My mom and I went on a Sunday morning (about 8:30am) and it was a beautiful day. We wanted to make it a half day so we went on the Staunton trail and back the same way. This totals to about 6.5 miles. I was surprised to see that such few people were there at that time. They did start showing up as time went on. This was a gorgeous and peaceful hike. A lot of trees but also some spots for sunshine. We didn't use sunscreen and did just fine. There seem to be so many trail options. Cant wait to hike more!

Not the best views, but a nice rolling hike with clearly marked trails, ample parking and only a few others around!

Trail was a mix we took Staunton ranch trail (easy) to Scout line Mod/hard depending on ones condition. lot of rock climbs and switch backs. we then took mason Creek trail to the bond, looped to bulging Elk trail, back onto Staunton Ranch trail. all in all a 10.42 mile hike. Beautiful park and we all enjoyed the lack of people and the scenery.

Incredible hike, especially if you make it to the lower part of Elk Falls.

This is now one of my favorite hikes. We parked down by Elk Creek Road and took the Staunton Ranch Trail to Scout Line Trail, then we jumped on Marmot Passage Trail to Chimney Rock Trail which took us to Elk Falls.... spectacular! Coming back, we went from Chimney Rock to Bugling Elk Trail which took us back to Staunton Ranch Trail. The whole journey was 13.2 miles of breathtaking views, wild raspberries and wildlife. Can't wait to go back and check out the Mason Creek Trail!

Easy hike not too far from the city. Pretty good views and well-kept trail--if you're not trying to drive far I would recommend this loop. $7 entrance fee

Put in 14+ miles hiking today. Definitely recommend the waterfall followed by the overlook. West Meadow following the overlook is a nice contrast. Save hiking Marmot Pass then Scout Line (hiking only) for the go home leg. Perfect way to finish the hike.

I'm pretty fit and suggest 2 liters of water minimum IMO for the route I did.