Stanley Mountain Trail

Stanley Mountain Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Outstanding trail most of which is above the tree line. When I went in October, I only ran into 4 others (2 of which were through hikers). The solitude at that time and that elevation was just what I needed. Not too bad after reaching ridge. 360 views are a real treat!

This trail is so beautiful! The first 1.5 miles are gradually steeper and steeper until you get to the ridge, with many switchbacks. drink lots of water and takes lots of rest breaks! Once you are on the ridge (for about 5 miles) you have 360 degree views the whole way. Being up on the ridge for that long made the trail seem longer than it was ( we clocked it at 8 miles round trip). You can't even see the Stanley peak until you are well into the hike, many little "false summits". It was gusting 40-50 mph winds for 2/3 the ridge which also made it seem longer. Nevertheless the payoff is great, this was our first "summit" and we loved it. Took 3.5 hours round trip with plenty of breaks. Watch weather very carefully you do not want to be on the ridge if the weather goes south! Start early in the morning to avoid this. Saw only 3 other people on the whole hike, fabulous. Our dogs loved it too and did great.
*** flatlanders: this hike is above 12,000 feet for 5 miles. Be cautious. I did get altitude sickness, it wasn't fun! (Still worth it in the end).

**No park entry fee** We decided to turn back about half way through the trail, but we saw enough for a 5 star. The smoke from the NW fires have really taken over the mountain, the haze limited visibility to maybe a half mile out (which is a real bummer on a hike focused on long distance views). Couple that with large gusts of wind the higher we went, we decided to turn back and come back a different day when the views are more favorable. I can deal with difficult weather if I'm still able to experience the views. There were several hikers we saw continue on past the half way point but I would recommend saving the trip for when the smoke has cleared up. Can't wait to go back!!

Cute trail, but a little crowded for my taste. I can see why -- this would be a good way to get used to higher elevation climbs. Nothing too strenuous, but nice views the whole way.

Love this trail.

Pretty hike. Hard beginning. Not the most rewarding views but a really fun hike along the ridge line.

beautiful hike with unbeatable views! bring a light puffy and winter hat for up top bc it gets windy (and chilly).

Stunning views above tree line, wildflowers on the forest trail. The switchback trail was not as hard as it looked and well worth getting to the plateau at the top for the views. Windy on the exposed ridges and at the top today, so bring layers. Great hike!

Great day hike. I wouldn't consider it hard, maybe because the views made it so easy to keep going. Would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to get a look at the mountains. Wildflowers were beautiful as well! It's windy and colder at the top (48F) so bring layers. Keep in mind the majority of the hike is above tree line so keep an eye on the clouds.

This is my second time doing this hike. The elevation was in stages with some ascends and descends. Beautiful views from the top.

Absolutely beautiful! In total, the hike is roughly 8.5 miles but worth it!

Amazing hike. The trail is completely clear and the switchbacks will give anyone a god leg workout.

Beautiful hike! The trail gets above tree line quickly, with gorgeous views all the way to the summit.

Pretty views for such a short chunk of the CDT. Thru hikers in the area this time of year--share your goods! Stanley mountain itself is rather unassuming--just a pile of rocks off to the side of the trail. Seemed to be lots of poop (and subsequently flies) at the top. The ridge line can be windy.

Awesome hike!!! The views were gorgeous and tons of wild flowers to see everywhere. Great hike for dogs too.

Loved this hike! Only a small amount of snow, definitely easy to hike through it without poles or other gear, but it was difficult to follow the trail for a bit in the snow covered area. The switchbacks are pretty tough but the reward is worth it-stunning views! I think this is a good hike to prep for a 14er.

This is an amazing hike. There is still some snow as of 6/24 that makes the trail difficult to follow at times, but once you get above that the trail is easy to follow. There is a pretty strenuous switchback part, but after that it's a piece of cake. I had lunch on the throne of Stanley Mountain and then headed back. Took only like 3 hours total. Highly recommend it!!

Dogs are allowed, (even off leash) so my pup and I were happy

directions led us to the top of berthoud pass (coming from empire the restrooms and parking lot were on the right) trailhead on the left of the pass. Lost the trail pretty quickly because of snow but managed to scramble up to the ridge and then it was visible the entire way. One part was a steeper incline but it had switchbacks so no complaints! Amazzzzinnnnngggg views. Decided we were at the end when we came to this rock throne structure.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Beautiful views...!

Thursday, August 25, 2016

confirmed that this is darn near 9 miles RT. Absolutely beautiful hike with amazing views!! One of my favorites so far...