Stanley Canyon Trail (707)

Stanley Canyon Trail (707) is a 6 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near USAF Academy, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,122 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Definitely a harder trail. The incline is very steep and Rocky. At times I was using my hands to climb the boulders. Hiking poles would have been helpful. I brought my 50lb Belgian Malinois and he struggled with some Boulders but wasn't too bad. I ended up adding 2mi because there's no sign that tells you to go left and stay on 707(there are boulders blocking the trail). Overall wasn't bad just wasn't prepared.

lots of scree. It was more difficult for me coming back due to the loose rock. I love the meadow and Aspen toward the top, but I enjoyed the trail more before the reservoir was drained.

This trail is very difficult. You climb 1000 ft in the first mile. The first half of trail is a hard climb over loose rock and boulder. Great view in the canyon once you get to the water. After the first mile it level out and is a pleasant quiet walk.

Hiked this with my Aunt, Uncle, husband and children July 2018! Loved it! Overlooking AF Academy, wish we could have gone all the way through to Ramparts Reservoir, but not enough time.

Saturday, March 03, 2018