St. Mary's Falls Trail

St. Mary's Falls Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,397 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Colorado Springs, take either 26th St. or Cheyenne Road to North Cheyenne Canyon Road to Gold Camp Road. About 1 mile past the locked gate at the intersection of North Cheyenne Canyon Road,Gold Camp Road andHigh Drive is the trailhead.

I’m not particularly picky about trails at all but there was honestly nothing special about this one. Half the trail is literally a dirt road

The trail was nice and the falls were great. This hike rates as a moderate hike but there were definitely places that could be rated as hard, you will not breathe easy on this trail.

Nice hike, good views at the top but not my favorite. Saw some cool looking caves and a tunnel that was gated off and tagged with graffiti on the way up. The falls is nice but I guess I was expecting more. Hoping to get up to mount Rosa on another day when I have more time from this trial. Coming down had lots of scree and slipped a few times but not too bad.

Pretty tough hike, but beautiful. Definitely glad I brought my hiking sticks for the way done. Altitude gain is deceiving.

Enjoyed this trail. Absolutely beautiful!

First mile (from the gate at the left side of the parking lot) is through a single dirt lane with no sun cover. After you reach the “end” of the road bear right all the way up and then follow the signs to st Mary’s falls. Totally worth some scrambling! The views and waterfall are secluded gems, bring a good snack to enjoy at the top.

It was a fun trail to the waterfall. We got to the parking at 8:45am and I took the last parking spot. Didn't really need a hiking boots(hot 98F!!), you can go with a regular running shoes. Bugs, but no mosquitos. Half of the trail was exposed. Heavy traffic... 08/25/2019 #44

Trail was a bit slippery with loose gravel. There are many narrow spots and a few spots that are quite steep. Somewhat shaded, bring lots of water. It took us Michiganders 3 hours and 15 minutes to hike the 6.9 miles round trip. Loved the falls. Great workout!

It is a great trail. The scenery is fantastic! You’ll get a good workout for sure!

I loved this trail. There were variety of footings so it was never boring. The trail does need some maintenance, but we had no problems going up or down. The last part was a little tough. But the sounds of water running close by made the hike so worth doing. Great scenery!!!!!!!

I thought it was a great trail, a little challenging but great for getting my heart rate up. The waterfall was not as spectacular as others but it's still beautiful, a great place to sit & have lunch. The view of the city is beautiful too!

The falls at the end of this hike are lovely, and once you get off the big road the trail and creek make a nice hike. I give it 3 stars only because so much of it is on a road with lots of people. It's worth doing for a shorter, easier hike.

Solo female hiker 33y/o in pretty good hiking shape. This was a doozy. Beautiful views at the top but it took me 8hrs R/T. Lots of up on these achey knees. Never saw another hiker past the falls. Good one for solitude.

Great hike, beautiful falls. Lots of flys during lunch.

Would recommend. It’s tough if you are not used to elevation but worth it to feel the cold water of the falls. Great views at the top and throughout. Lots of bugs at the top so be careful with lunch. Trail may be a bit narrow at times for dogs.

Good trail. Most of the trail is gradual and not super challenging. Near the last half mile it gets steeper but isn’t too crazy. Lovely views of Colorado Springs and the Falls. Beware of poison ivy. Trail markers are a little off on the distance calculation but isn’t too bad.

This trail is beautiful! Towards the end is no joke, it is steep and a great work out. The forest was so green and so many aspens!!!!! Definitely a trail I am going to start frequenting. Only bad thing is there are a ton of people, we went on a Wednesday and there were lots of people at the beginning, thinned out towards the top. But there were so many dogs to love on! Very dog friendly!!!!!! First 1/2 mile the is no cover, but after that it's beautiful forest! LOTS of poison Ivy lining the tail so be aware of what bushes you run up against.

05/10/2019 - lots of parking - no fee for parking or park - snowy in 05/10/2019 - tricky to get up the falls but it’s a pretty easy trail

I hiked to Mt Rosa but All Trails thinks I did the falls even though my recording shows my tracks. Not very accurate but it does show Mt Rosa as my turnaround. It’s been a few years since I hiked this trail. Between the mountain bikes and the dirt (motorized) bikes the trails are in lousy shape. Rocks, gravel, washed out, in many many areas. It was a great hike but the eroded trails make it too rocky, with way too much loose impediment. Like hike really don’t care for the trails.

Awesome hike! Plenty of elevation with beautiful views. Great variety of scenery.

My son (9), my dad (68), and I (32) were all able to tackle this trail. I personally thought it was easy, but my son and dad struggled a little more. My boxers also joined in on the fun and enjoyed the creek. We were all pleasantly surprised by how beautiful the waterfall actually was. I will definitely be doing this hike again! Glad it was Monday though because the trail was moderately trafficked.. I can only imagine how busy it is during the weekend.

Nice green trail along a stream; not overly crowded. Try to arrive around 8 am for parking.

I downloaded this app at the falls so the recorded info is from there to parking lot 18

Certainly only a moderate difficulty that ends in a beautiful view and gorgeous falls. There is 1.5 miles of road though before it gets more difficult and more beautiful.

a good challenging hike. gets fairly steep at the end. distances on sign are not accurate.

It was a fun trail. All uphill on the way up and of course all downhill on the way down. I took my mountain bike and pushed a lot of the way up but was able to ride most of the way back down. In some really steep places, I got it off and pushed on my way down. I did not make it all the way to St. Mary’s. Other hikers tolde the trail gets really steep towards the top and you would have to pack your bike. Very busy trail.