St. Mary's Glacier

St. Mary's Glacier is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

It’s great if you’re looking for a relatively easy trail with great views. The trail was a little packed down for snowshoes, but slick enough that you’d be better off with a bit of extra traction. Just be prepared for a lot of wind at the lake.

Snowshoed to the lake today and part way up to glacier. Lots of snow still, very windy. Beautiful views! Everyone says it's easy but felt it a bit challenging for us Minnesotans (but the cold didn't bother us), maybe since we are still adjusting to elevation. It was a steady climb to the lake and steeper to the glacier. Want to make a trip back in Spring or Summer. Ran into several people even on a Thursday afternoon.

Traction would have been nice, but not necessary. A go to when you only have an hour of free time to get in a good view.

Road is clear until the next snow, never even considered using 4WD. Brought up 8 people and a bunch of sleds, and had a blast! Ended up sledding down the glacier onto the frozen lake, sleds are a must here if you're up for the adventure!

Great short hike. Plenty of amazing views. Bring a lunch and stay awhile, highly recommend for kids and dogs.

Hello. We are thinking about doing this hike tomorrow (Jan 27). Does anyone know if we will need snow shoes? TIA!

Road was snowpacked from the start. If you do not have awd/4wd AND winter tires do not go. You will most likely crash, get stuck and put others in danger.

Beautiful hike! Bring a sled if you want to do some sledding!

If I wanted to Do this Hike THIS weekend (Jan 19) Around 10:30am, wondering if I'd need snowshoes. Has anyone hiked it in the past couple of days?
Thanks!

One of the most beautiful sights these eyes have ever seen.

I tried to hike it two days ago and we were not able to due to the high winds. So yesterday we tried again and the weather was PERFECT. I was speechless when we got to the frozen lake. The views are spectacular. I recommend to keep climbing. We almost got to the top and it was unbelievable. Snowshoes were not needed but do bring them if you want to climb to the top. Parking was $7 cash only. It’s a little hard at the beggining because you walk incline for the fisrt mile and a half, but is totally worth it. Im so happy we tried going again, dont miss it!

Road to the trail is impassable for two wheel drive vehicles ~2 miles from the trailhead. Will try again in the spring!

Caught the sunrise here on New Years day! Very windy! Quick incline, was a little difficult at 6:45am. But worth the views. It was about 15 degrees when we were there and probably 45mph winds. I’d def recommend this spot. But trail was hard to find... snow was drifted over. Dress warm!

Did anyone find a stack of hiking poles? 3) 901-7580

Thank you!

Conditions where very windy and packed snow no need for snow shoes.

This hike is awesome! Especially is the winter time if you are prepared for the conditions. Started hiking this morning at 9:45am and it was 20 degrees with a wind chill factor putting the temp around 5 degrees. Definitely come prepared for this hike, even though it is short and sweet. Multiple layers and a heavy jacket is a must. Beanies, gloves, goggles, etc.. you can never be too prepared.

Super fun trail! We went in early December and it was very snowy. The hike to the glacier is pretty much all uphill but it’s moderate enough to catch your breath. It was really windy when we got to the glacier but absolutely beautiful!

Beautiful views, short hike. Good people and lots of dogs! Cant ask for more

Very primitive. 6 of us camped there. No snow on the trails but there was late spring snow on the glacier. Long story short, John tried to cross it and slid almost all the way down into the frigid waters below He yelled for help but what could I do? I was still... reeling... from the loss of the crank handle for my Popeil Pocket Fisherman. It may still be there. We were the only ones there for 4 days. 1973.

It was a short, fun hike into the glacier. The trail was snow packed. Enough snow for snowshoes, but Yaktrax would do just fine. I saw several people in tennis shoes. I'd recommend against that. The last little bit of the road near the parking lot was treacherous. Saw 5 or 6 cars that had slid into the ditch. There wasn't much snow on the road, but it was very icy. Seemed to be a lot of people with small compact cars and/or bad tires. No worries if you have a good set of snow tires. If not, I'd recommend parking further down the road and walking up. There is a parking lot on the right side of the road a little ways before you get to the General Store. It's maybe a .5 mile walk up to the trailhead from that parking lot. Well worth it if you don't have a capable vehicle. Have fun!

easy but awesome views.