Saint Mary's Glacier

Saint Mary's Glacier is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near St. Mary's, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

$5 parking fee, cash only Fantastic views for the effort. The trail up is mostly rocks but not terribly difficult. Great short hike with high payoff. Some people swim at the lake.

4 minutes ago

This trail is mostly uphill and very rocky! I would recommend good boots/shoes, but tennis shoes do work! :) It is a $5 parking fee, but worth it! Before you get to the lake, there is a waterfall. However, it isn't in plain sight! At one point, (I forgot to track the distance!) instead of continuing up on the trail, there is another trail to the right that is flat then goes downhill to a waterfall. You can hear it before you see it! The lake.. BEAUTIFUL! Dogs are swimming, people are relaxing. Go early and enjoy the day on the lake!

I did speak to some people there and they said it gets packed on the weekends. So I'd recommend going during the week!

Super short trail, pretty much an incline up to the lake the whole way. Definitely worth it for visitors as it’s close to the city. I took out of town guests in Nov. it was just the perfect amount of chill, there was snow and ice in some parts of the trail but the photos were amazing and worth it. From the lake you can keep. Hiking up and the views only get better!

Awesome place! Incredible views with just a short hike away

Wide rocky trail with a lot of people. This hike is all about the beautiful reward with minimal effort. The journey up is only so-so.

Amazing hike into a beautiful area of Colorado. This was not extremely strenuous and could be done by almost anyone. We hiked this in December and dealt with high winds and snow banks, but still found it easy. Loved the frozen lake at the end of the trail. Road to trailhead was manageable in 2WD SUV.

Mostly rock at the start but a quick and easy hike with awesome payoff.

For a Kansas girl afraid of heights and falling this was a challenge but the view was so worth it! The lot I parked on required cash just an FYI and if you haven’t been there I suggest a day bag to take the opportunity to relax and enjoy the location.

Fantastic views for mininal effort. The trail up was mostly rocks but not difficult. Great short hike with high payoff.

Short and sweet. Good for kids. Nice payoff for minimal effort.

I'm from Illinois so we weren't looking for a hard hike with the altitude. this is perfect for out of Townes and if you don't want to spend all day hiking to see some views.
bring swim wear, at the top is a beautiful lake and so many people jumped in. wish we brought our swimsuits.

Although the trail was short and quite easy, the trail itself was a bit rocky and wasn't well marked. We arrived there at 9:30am in the morning and the parking lot was quite empty. We returned to the parking lot at 12:30pm to find it full. The view of the lake was amazing. Being that it seems the trail is traveled quite frequently, I would think that there would be better markings. All in all, it was a nice short hike.

Hiked on 6/8/18. Hardly any snow along the trail. The only significant snow was the glacier. Beautiful, easy hike though! The only downside that was by 11AM it was a little crowded and people were wandering everywhere

One of my favorite hikes in Colorado. A great one to do with friends who aren’t used to the altitude. Pretty Drive up as well. Annoyed that a lot of trash seems to be left behind. I have found panties and dildos before. A little annoyed that it’s become so popular but I guess that’s just a testament to how awesome it is. If you have the ability climb to the very top of the glacier. In the winter during college we would climb up there and ski down. Icy, and sketchy but fun if you can beat the ever changing weather. Someone usually sets up boxes and rails up there too. Great one to bring dogs to if they have the stamina and foot padding for the rocky terrain. Stop in Idaho on your way back for a beer at Tommy Knocker or West Bound and Down.

Easy trail up, rewarding and beautiful view at top.

Great short, quick trail with views at the top. Beware, this is not signed very well. And it’s odd as this is so popular. When you are approx 3/4 there, there’s an opening to the right, follow that to the glacier

Hiked this on Thursday, 5/31/18 and there were only two other cars in the parking lot when I arrived at 7am. Read the instructions carefully when paying the $5 parking fee! The hike up was fun and the glacier was magnificent. I climbed up the rocky spots next to the glacier to get a better view of the lake. Definitely coming back!

Hike was very rocky but not to bad. My friend and I got there early at about 9:30 hardly anyone was there. We climbed up a little past the lake and enjoyed the views. By the time we were leaving it was a little crowded.

Don’t go. It’s terrible. Definitely doesn’t need more people looking at how terrible the scenery is.

On a serious note, this hike is great. Not the right hike for people with small children, aren’t used to the altitude, or have health problems. You will go straight up and over large rocks for about a mile. But if you’re willing to break a sweat, the views are awesome. Just a bit crowded.

As expected, it was busy with lots of people. Arrived at 10:00 sunday morning and some how managed to find parking. The hike up is short and rocky. The scenery is beautiful. After a little over a mile, you arrive at the glacier.

I also found an off road trail called Yankee Hill Road that drives up to the top of the glacier. So on this day I walked around the base of the glacier and then drove around to the top of it in the afternoon. Awesome day.

Beautiful views of the glacial lake and surrounding mountains. Relatively quick hike but, being from a sea level city, found us sucking wind very quickly.

I thought the trail was not easy, but worth the climb. I live in Nashville and the elevation was much harder for me to climb. The glacier and lake were amazing!! So happy I added this to my trip at the last minute.

This hike has to be one of my favorites, it's so beautiful! I will say it is a little tricky to get to because we took a few wrong turns and there seems to be multiple trails that don't lead to it. There is a really pretty stream as well. Once you get to the glacier is amazing, bring snacks, some drinks, and a radio and relax!

It was a great hike w great views if you have good weather. I walked all the way to the top where u get a great view of 2 peaks. Picked up a black trash bag otw up and used it to slide down most the way back, if u tuck ur legs in u go pretty far! People were also filming off paddle boards while people were jumping off cliff into the lake. Too cold for me! Alot to do with ur friends that like to giggle. Enjoy!

Love taking out-of-towners here. It's a gorgeous spot that always wows and I never get tired of seeing it! Parking can be packed and you have to pay, but it's worth it.

Fairly approachable hike for all abilities. The views are okay and maybe impressive for newbies or short term visitors who don't have too much time to stay.

Perfect trail for someone seeking a half day beginner-intermediate trail. We hiked on 5/19/18 and were nervous about not being prepared for the snow/ice. There were some slick spots but totally doable in tennis shoes.

Amazing!

It’s usually very busy since it’s so close to Denver. It’s also a short hike so can go out and back in an hour. However the views of the lake and glacier are beautiful especially if you hike up the glacier a little!

I usually agree with the average rating on AllTrails but not in this case. Yes it is close to Denver but this is overrated on all accounts. Drive an extra 20-30 minutes for many more options.

Super cool to see a glacier! Great hike for someone who wants epic views without it taking a chunk of your day. The trail was icy/slushy when we went 5/13/18 but nothing terrible in hiking boots!