Saint Mary's Glacier

Saint Mary's Glacier is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near St. Mary's, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

$5 parking fee, cash only Fantastic views for the effort. The trail up is mostly rocks but not terribly difficult. Great short hike with high payoff. Some people swim at the lake.

11 minutes ago

One of the most underrated trails I’ve ever done. Absolutely breathtaking. Not too strenuous, but difficult for us Indiana folk because of the whole breathing thing.

Beautiful setting. This is set as Easy however parking is a bit tricky and it's a pretty steep climb to get to the glacier. Was pretty slick with all the snow, will go again in spring.

I just moved here and found this hike a little challenging because of the altitude. the trail is pretty packed down so I did it in tennis shoes with no problem. a lot of people brought sleds that looked fun! I took a lot of breaks but the view was great.

For someone not used to the altitude, this hike can be more challenging than most people have rated it. It’s short, but fairly rocky and steep. Combine that with the altitude, and some breaks may be necessary. Once you reach the top though, it’s worth the effort and you’ll probably want to hang out for a bit. Beautiful hike, but don’t underestimate it!

Great hike for the entire family! We battled 40+ mph winds and still had the best time! Can’t wait to do it again. We hiked on 1/4/18, completely snow-packed but made it even better. Kids slid back down the trail almost the entire way!

We did this trail end of July. Trail itself is rocky and steep but the reward is an amazing view of the lake and glacier. Hike up the glacier for more amazing views! People were sledding and skiing down the glacier!

Went to the top where it levels out today - used spikes for more sure footing but could be done without them. Such a beautiful, warm day!

About as easy of a hike as you can get near Estes. I took some elderly family members here during the holidays. Dont come here if your're looking for a real hiking experience or any amount of solitude. Id say its a great hike for families or elderly people/small kids.

Hike to the lake was easy and packed snow; beyond the lake and up the glacier was windy, packed snow and ice, with some deeper spots; we had Microspikes and they were perfect; face protection and googles a must for the top and 20-40mph winds. Views were spectacular and hike was awesome.

Yesterday was the first day of winter and the warmest forecast in the foreseeable future, so we darted out for a quick hike. It was quite windy with snow blowing, so we only went to the lake, but it was a beautiful trek! Next time we’ll make it further to the glacier!

Did this hike 11/30/18, started around 10 am. Was beautiful. Spikes and poles were helpful to about St Mary lake. Went a little further but snowshoes definitely are recommended for heading up any further. I will definitely be back with my snowshoes!

Absolutely beautiful hike. I went early Friday morning and had the trail / glacier all to myself. I was glad I had my spikes and hiking poles. I was able to get quite a ways up the glacier. Snowshoes would have been helpful toward the top.

Beautiful. Trail is packed down at this time. Microspikes are helpful but probably safe without them. Beautiful.

Beautiful and easy hike. A bit uphill in the beginning. I was happy I had microspikes but snow shoes would’ve been helpful, especially if you want to explore around. It’s windy once you get there. A face cover would be wise to bring in fall/winter. Also was envious of the smart folks who brought sleds for the downhill back!

amazing hiking, even in the winter!

Beautiful short hike although it does get crowded. Everything was frozen over and we walked across the lake. You can get some beautiful photos up here! Hiked in November and microspikes were definitely helpful.

Good trail for all age groups. However, it’s a bit rocky but that should be fine. Took us 2-2.5 hours from car to car including breaks. The views at the top are pretty good and picturesque. Would highly recommend during fall season.

The views were incredible, but the trail itself was not very well marked (except for the trailhead). We were essentially just following footprints in the snow, and at one point reached a fork in the footprints. We decided to follow a set of footprints that ended up taking us off the trail, and into very deep snow drifts. Microspikes aren’t necessarily required, but waterproof snow boots and multiple layers are essential. It gets very windy up there!

great hike, beautiful views, and a frozen lake.

Great short trail. My only complaint is there was a guy with a very noisy drone at the lake that he kept flying around for at least 45 minutes. Sort of took away from the experience.

Hiked here yesterday, beautiful views even with the overcast sky and drizzling rain; made for some unique photos. We enjoyed sitting on the edge of the lake taking in the beauty. I do wish people respected the space and others by picking up their trash and not polluting the air with smoke and music.

I had put off this hike for a long time because I knew it would be crowded and it's so short. I had family in town on Saturday and this is what they wanted to do, and I'm so glad we went! The hike up was short and easy (albeit slippery - would suggest boots). When you get up, it's beautiful - the water was frozen and people were walking on it. We saw some people skiing on part of the slope. Definitely don't stop at the glacier - you can get much better views without much more work by continuing on (so the pond is to your left). You don't have to go to the top to get great views - you can walk up just a few minutes. If you're feeling adventurous, climbing up the rocks in that area is a lot of fun too!

Love this trail! Short hike with beautiful view at the top!

Great hike. Beautiful view up at lake.

Nice hike for the whole family (including dogs). Short uphill climb to the glacier and a great view, you can spend more time hanging out or walking up and around the glacier if you want. We didn’t go up the glacier so took about an hour total. Parking lots are a little rocky and have a $5 fee.

This is our go to hike for visitors. It is easy enough for children and the views are exquisite.

awesome views

great views

Super packed, but the lake is incredible.

We hiked Saint Mary’s Glacier a few weeks ago. It’s a short, rocky climb, but the reward is breathtaking. The alpine lake, glacier and surrounding foliage is beautiful! We’re definitely making a return trip!