Saint Mary's Glacier

MODERATE 1934 reviews

Saint Mary's Glacier is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 807 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

skiing

fee

$5 parking fee, cash only Fantastic views for the effort. The trail up is mostly rocks but not terribly difficult. Great short hike with high payoff. Some people swim at the lake.

Fun short trail. Nice steady incline. If you stay on the higher rocks along the trail, it’s a lot easier than slipping and sliding. Pretty icy definitely wear shoes with traction! The water was frozen and you can walk across. Was a little chilly but beautiful!

icy

Amazing trail would highly recommend a minimum or yaktraks for your footwear but more aggressive traction ing system would be nice. Also would recommend trekking poles we did not have any but they would have been nice to have. Otherwise amazing hike.

icy

Great little winter hike! Would definitely recommend spikes and poles if you want to go up the glacier a bit.

icy

Really quick hike and the views are just INCREDIBLE! Truly would’ve done an all day hike just to make it to that view so we’re thankful it’s just a short trek to see it. We’ll definitely be back. Do be careful though it is very icy and slippery throughout. We went and bought spikes immediately after!

icy

Hiked here last weekend. Absolutely gorgeous and a fun, short hike! Lots of slick snow and ice in some areas. I would recommend trekking poles this time of year

rock climbing

icy

Wow- great hike uphill to a rewarding view of the lake- climb higher and you can see both lakes!!

We loved St. Mary’s Glacier after a fresh snow in the late spring. That’s my favorite time there. However, it gets really icy when it’s been trampled on for days; even prepared with ice claws/crampons we had to slide down half the way on our bums/sled down or walk off the trail to the side where the snow hadn’t been trampled as much on the way down. Somewhat dangerous conditions going down otherwise. Almost hurt my leg/ankle. Absolutely great view at the top especially above the lake. At the top, continuing above the lake, we went sledding and it was awesome... but beware there is an icy waterfall underneath the snow (hence the name glacier) and one of our kids’ feet went through after a sled run—thankfully we had extra socks with us, but it was still half miserable and half fun going after that.

Short trail that sets the elevation gain early but the view of the lake is nice. We even saw some people cliff jumping into it. Just be careful of the rocks on the trail, for they aren’t all sturdy atop each other. My sister fell and rolled her ankle.

We loved this hike! Views at the lake are absolutely breath taking! Its an easy and short hike up to the glacier, and we didn't have a hard time parking. Cant wait to go back!

Unfortunately, we could only walk to the lake, because it was very snowy and extremely windy. Nevertheless, a nice way and with view probably even more beautiful.

today the conditions were so bad I could park my subie.. nobody was on trail it was blizzard like conditions today... I will be back it seems gorgeous

Fun hike since we brought our snowboarding gear. I actually did this in early spring so I'm not sure the snow conditions now. Hiked up the glacier and boarded down, gorgeous views are the top.