St. Elmo to Tincup

St. Elmo to Tincup is a 12.2 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Almont, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

off road driving

trail is easy, maybe (2) S-M obstacles, but bumpy. since its a pass, obviously the views are amazing. if you'd like to see a video of the pass i have one here, but the second half is half of coney flats trail:

07 ranger manual
33"
13psi
bilsteins
no lift
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad guide

have fun!

off road driving

This pass was amazing. I had a hard time gauging whether or not this would be a good novice trail. Going up from St. Elmo in a stock 05 4runner it did excellent. I do have general grabber at2s on it. There were quite a few burms that clearance was concerning but it cleared fine. Had a couple rocks that I could have navigated more seamlessly. Scrapped once. Regardless I would have felt more comfortable with additional clearance. Drop offs don't mess around up top but the scenery is worth it!

Coming down into mirror lake the pass is more rough. This took my buddy getting out and spotting. We slowly decended into mirror lake. The drive took around 3 hours total, half of which we did at night.

Coming into the camp ground we had a snowy owl land on the trail, super special! Amazing to see. Stayed two nights at the campground. Clean outhouse and great sites.

The lake is amazing, clearest water I've seen in Colorado, literally can see the fish. Let's keep it that way

off road driving

Went from St Elmo to Tincup. Spend a little time in St. Elmo and look around, they have a general store, antique store, small hotel and cabin. The trail starts at heading north out of St Elmo, a left over a bridge. Definitely, air down your tires as this is a very bumpy ride over rocks. Lots places to camp with gorgeous views. The road is wide enough to be fairly easy to pass oncoming traffic. About six miles in the trail will come out to high plains and you will see the switchback road that leads to the summit, the trail narrows a bit here so keep your eye out for oncoming traffic.....but there are still plenty of areas to pass by.

You reach the summit with plenty of area for parking. Tincup pass is located on the continental divide.....take some pictures at the sign! After leaving Tincup pass the trail becomes even more rocky and is moderate trail, a spotter is suggested for a few areas. In our opinion this is the hardest part of the trail. The trail winds down to Mirror lake. Mirror lake is one of the top 10 rated lakes in Colorado.....plan to have a picnic and enjoy the lake for awhile. There is Mirror Lake campground with bathrooms on site. We unfortunately found there to be hungry mosquitoes all through this area...wish we had known! We saw many fishing and all stated they were having a great day fishing and catching many on the north side. We were told that the trail from Mirror Lake to Tincup was treacherous and rocky but we found that the state of Colorado leveled out this road and it is now easy typical dirt road.

Tincup has a general store and a restaurant.....we found it to be very busy for a ghost town, definitely busier than St. Elmo.

Ps- Eight miles north out of Tincup is gas station by Taylor lake to air up your tires.

Happy trails!

off road driving

Very beautiful, saw a bull moose, Mirror Lake is absolutely gorgeous.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Went up during the changing of the seasons. Very busy! Beautiful going to the pass. Gets a little bumpy on the way to mirror lake. Lots of atv activity. Well worth it!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Friday, July 17, 2015

Jeeped the trail in 2009. Rough riding but the pass was beautiful. Did a three mile hike up one side of the pass. Full of rocks and boulders. Played like a kid.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Great trail on a Polaris RZR 900 XP. Beautiful views and fun times. My 14 year old daughter drove all the way. Easy peasy.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Fun trail mostly easy with some moderate sections. Views at the top are amazing. I've taken a Dodge Dakota and this year a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited stock over this pass. Lots of trails and camping on the St. Elmo side as well.

scenic driving
Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I drove my 4WD Ford F-150 up this road on a beautiful summer day in June. The road was much better than I anticipated. If the weather hadn't have been so perfect I would not have taken this road as bad weather could easily turn this road difficult in a hurry. After reaching the pass, I hiked up to the top of the mountain directly to the east (13,230') and got some amazing views. Well worth the trip!

Monday, April 23, 2012

Awesome ATV trail. I recommend NOT taking a regular passenger 4WD or AWD up here and definitely not a regular passenger vehicle. I only say this as I have seen people and get into trouble. I just shake my head. If you don't own one, rent an ATV or modified Jeep. I've done it couple of times so I won't mark the activity date.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Great drive, very scenic, either Tin Cup or St. Elmo are destinations in themselves. I drove from Tin Cup to St. Elmo. Road not bad for 4WD, slow going because of rock.