New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Squaw Mountain Trail

Squaw Mountain Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 862 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Enjoyed the trail itself. The views from the top were nice enough. We hiked this 3 weeks ago (Jan. 5) with micro spikes and they were perfect for the amount of snow. However, about 1/2 mile up the trail there’s an area that is clearly designated for target shooting, and it must be well known because there were multiple groups up there even in the snow. It was miserable trying to hike with our panicking dog, because the shooting was very audible for most of the hike. It wasn’t my idea of a peaceful hike, and I was surprised that there was no mention of this on AllTrails or at the trailhead. If you have a dog who is afraid of gunshot noises, this trail is not for you.

Good quick peaceful hike. Road was packed down enough that you can get by with just boots, had spikes which made things easier. Even though you can’t go all the way to the top of the fire house lookout the views are still beautiful.

Trail was in great shape 1-18-20. We choose to snow shoe but could have totally gotten away with spikes or really good hiking boots. I didn’t realize it is literally straight up hill, glad we did it. Good workout, peaceful, met wonderful people and puppies on the trail. Will be returning again.

Great hike on 01-18-20! We did a sunrise hike and it wasn’t too windy going up. Snow packed most of the way. No spikes needed for earlier hikers. Windy near top, beautiful views. Easy to access. You can’t go to the actual fire house itself since you need to make reservations in order to access it. That’s the only bummer. Started a little after 6am and back to our cars by 8am!

Great conditions on 1/11/2020. Trail was fairly packed down and the views were stunning

Sunrise hike - was beautiful Packed snow - microspikes we perfect. Parked on the main road (103). Very windy on top!

Easy drive up 103. Make sure to pull completely out of the way of the road that ascends the mountain. Forest Service needs wide access this time of year (January). Easy walk up 2 miles to the top. The road up was hard packed but mini spikes mandatory. Fire tower was awesome. Views were sick. Great place to bring a flatlander to feel the top of the world.

Road is packed snow so you can still drive all the way up to the gate. Then it’s a mile hike on the road on packed snow. Microspikes unnecessary but helpful.

It’s a short trail but amazing view. My friends and I went around 2:30pm so got to see the sun go down. We climbed some rocks to get a 360 view. Gorgeous! There is also the little cabin that people can rent but really can’t get up there unless you are renting or the renters are nice enough

Not much of a "hike" because you are walking up a utility road - but definitely difficult for anyone out of state (due to altitude). The views at the top are what make this hike worth it. Climb the rocks at the top and you have breathtaking 360 degree views.

Done this hike and the tower was occupied but it is a steep incline and switch backs up the mountain side. Elevation was 11,471’ on the actual mountain rock itself across from the tower. Good place for a beginner on Rock Climbing as well!! Spectacular views

"trail" is a very rocky forest service road, but I found it pretty steep and would rate it easy to moderate based on the elevation. The views of the top at the fire tower are spectacular. I did it as a moonlight hike and it was beautiful to see Denver lights from on top. it is rented for overnight guests, so be sure to ask before going up the fire tower. it's hard to tell if The people up there are just checking out the view or have rented the space.

We hiked Chief today, but I’m posting here because the shooting range, was in full form today. What a disgusting intrusion on such majestic wilderness. We’ve done this hike previously and while the views at the top are nice, I agree that Chief is a better option. But something has to be done about this range....

I gave the trail a low rating only because it is just a walk down a service road. The neat part is there is also a shooting range at the trail head. Must bring targets and extra ammo next time. Also, please remember to not bother the people at the lookout tower. They paid money to stay there. Walking up to the tower to peek in would be like asking someone if you could look into their hotel room.

This trail was really just a four wheeling road that ended half a mile in because it was reserved. I highly DONT recomend this hike because it was not fun at all.

I did this trail today because my St Bernard is already hot with the temps in the 60s. There was lots of snow left for her to prance and play in. At the top is a tower that folks rent and spend the night in.

There were some nice views, but low rating for the fact that there is a shooting range on the trail. You could hear guns firing the entire hike, and there were shells all along the first part of the trail. Definitely recommend Chief Mountain over this one.

Colorado has some AMAZING hikes and IMO this is not one of them. The neighboring Chief Mountain is the way to go if you are debating on which hike to pursue. Major cons for Squaw 1) the "trail" is just a fire road, 2) there is a shooting range on the trail, so gun shots can easily be heard even on the summit and 3) the summit is super cluttered with "manmade" stuff. In short, there is a better overall experience right "next store" (at Chief) and such great trails in Idaho Springs and Evergreen that this trail can be skipped. 2 stars solely for the views, which are still great.

Hike to lookout tower took about an hour and a half going slow with snow shoes on. Super windy! Awesome views!

We snowshoed this train in 3/22/19 the snow was deep!!! Should def be rated moderate for winter!! We were the only ones out there!! AWESOME!

My husband and I hiked in on 3/24 since we were spending the night in the fire lookout at the top of the trail (otherworldly!). We didn't use snowshoes, just winter boots with yaktrax and we were fine on the way up as long as we stayed on the snow-packed trail (although I'm guessing the hike is a bit more strenuous in winter than it would be without snow). However, a late-afternoon storm blew in and left a fair amount of fresh snow- when it came time to head down in the morning the previous trail wasn't as easy to see and we occasionally sunk through. A gorgeous, serene hike up and back!

Great hike but definitely should be rated moderate during winter. Crampons a must! Snowshoes needed here and there. Views at the top are amazing and would even be nice to stay at the lookout. My dog loved it!!!

Even though it wasn't necessary on 2/25/19 I did snowshoe. The trail is mostly packed and you could probably get away with just wearing boots. It was great going later on a Monday afternoon. I had the trail to myself until leaving the lookout and coming across the people renting it for the night. The views alone make it worth the trip. All up on the way there but you get a nice respite when taking in the views from the lookout.

Awesome winter hike! I had snowshoes but didn't need them, spikes were helpful.

LOVED IT! I had been putting this one off due to reviews that explained it as “just walking up an old road”. While this is true.... the views were absolutely amazing. This hike was beautiful! Today I was able to complete the hike wit microspikes with some postholing here and there but others snowshoed and some skied down! Easy to access trailhead right off Squaw Pass. Not to challenging with amazing reward at the top and definitely recommend putting this one on your list.

Good. Mostly hard packed, so just used microspikes, not snow shoes.

What a purty little squaw! Top of the fire tower has incredible views. You can rent it out overnight; bet the sunset is FIRE. Snowshoed up and back in about 1.5 hours bc we kept stopping to check out the views.

Sat Jan 26 2019

Welp, went a mile RT because we have some narbs from the east coast with us! Will redo again next weekend. Looks dope though!