Squaw Mountain Trail

Squaw Mountain Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

23 minutes ago

Did this and chief mountain together. Loved chief. Fire tower and views from squaw are great. Hate that there’s a firing range halfway up the road to the tower. Why ruin peaceful nature?

great hike, good views. on a surface road for most of it, but the top is amazing.

Beautiful, somewhat easy trail that provides you with great mountain views. If you're up for a longer hike, connect this to Chief Mountain!

PEOPLE PICK UP YOUR DOG SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super cool to see the fire tower and the view from it! This is a nice mellow hike for when you don’t want a long day.

This Fire Lookout is now a private campsite rentable through the US Forest Service. The people in the lookout tower are not FS employees. They are paying guests. It's the paid campers whose cars are parked at the gate. We should all try to respect the privacy of these campsites so that the guests can get the most out of the experience and if the guests enjoy it, it will be a profitable venture for the Forest Service that has just taken a hefty budget cut. Let's try to be respectful by not expecting to tour a camper's private space. If we want to tour the tower, we should rent it, and in doing so, we will help to preserve this really cool history. Thanks!

Easy hike, makes it even easier if you take the car right upto the Lookout Parking. Saw some cars parked next to main road, the road up is dirt road and can be done by any vehicle, drive up and there is a shooting range up there. Right after you pass the shooting range there is the Fire Lookout Parking.

The views from top of fire tower are amazing. I also climbed atop the rocks beside the tower, superb views!

Great hike. You can park down below by the main road and it’s a straight shot up. Amazing views.

Took my 4Runner up but the gate is still closed. All snow has been melted as of 3 days ago..

I can’t comment on the trail itself because we never actually got to it. We went May 7 and it was snow covered. The reason for the bad review is because you have to drive up a bad road to get to the trailhead. Once there, you discover you are at a shooting range and people aren’t even staying within the posted areas to shoot. Doesn’t make for a good trip when your children are frightened and your baby starts crying because of the gunfire.

A quick hike to the fire tower. As of 3/31 the trail was covered with about 4 inches of snow but able to be hiked in tennis shoes.

This was a fun, quick hike that we paired with Chief Mountain. We didn't know about the shooting range, though, and that really sucked the fun out of it. The fire tower is very cool! There's some snow and icy patches as of 3/24, but nothing dangerous. I lost one of my Yak Trax on the way down without realizing it, hope someone can use it!

Nice hike along the forest road. Limited views until you get to the top. Was snowing when we got there but amazing views of Denver and the lowlands

A great hike to let doggies run around. There was some snow but the road was easy to walk on. The climb to the lookout tower was steadily steep but not too exhausting. The lookout tower is awesome. You can rent it out and pretty much sleep under the stars.

Do the look out tower. We messed up and went in winter and almost died, but most memorable hike and stay.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Sick views

Sunday, September 03, 2017

The shooting was quite annoying, but the views at the top are great... wide road all the way.

Friday, August 25, 2017

I was amazed at the views. We've done some neat hikes out here and I was even blown away when we reached the top. Very easy hike. Almost not sure if I would call it a hike. Walk up a dirt road up to somewhat of a trail. Brought out of town visitors and didn't want to overwhelm them with a too strenuous of a hike. They did great and love the views at the top. There is a shooting range that you'll go past so that was a little noisy obviously, but not very active on a Saturday morning. Then at the top there a little fire station that is now rented out to people. So I would just advise not lingering there too long, but there are other boulder mounds you can climb up and see the best 360 view of the surrounding mountains. Just breath taking. We brought the pups with. They loved it. Saw under 10 people during the whole hike. Will be bringing more out of town family here.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Easy hike, 1.5 hours out and back. All on 4x4 road. Unfortunately there is a shooting range half way up. So don't expect a peaceful experience. We went on a Sunday morning. Not sure if it's open every day though. Great views from the tower at the top.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Tight

Monday, April 24, 2017

Great views! Short hike but expect an incline. There is still snow on the trail

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Really nice views up there! Worth the hike!

Monday, February 20, 2017

Lovely views from the top, and not too strenuous a hike, I am in town visiting a friend for the weekend and not used to the altitude but I didn't have a problem with this hike, I just went slow on the way up. Snow was packed on the trail but I was able to make it in my tennis shoes - only sank a few times when I wine off the path. The view from the lookout was amazing and it was very windy at the top, but the rest of the hike was calm. The biggest downside was people firing guns not far from the trailhead entrance on the way back - it was loud and one group was a little rowdy and smelled of weed, but I suppose that isn't too rare in Colorado.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

With packed snow this was a great, quick hike. What a view from the top, you can even see Denver in the East.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

An okay hike, not long at all but a little tough when there's a lot of snow. Today there was about 4-5 inches with some parts reaching up to my knees. Views at the top were amazing however it was extremely windy. Power lines were a bit of a disappointment and like a couple other reviews say, it was more of a service road than a trail. Overall I would definitely hike again

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Nice little hike with a constant climb, and the payoff is immense. A command view of the Divide from the Mummy Range to Pikes. Saying this is a trail though is kind of a stretch, it is the service road to the Squaw Mtn. Fire Lookout Tower. Once at the top be sure to take the "trail" towards the North as well as the one to the Tower. The one going North ends up at a point of rocks which you can see West, North, and East without an obstructed view, just simply stunning.

I gave it 2 stars because, one, it's a road, and second, there is a riffle range about half way up, and while there is nothing wrong with that, the noise reverberates through the valley, and it's kind of annoying when hiking. If it didn't have such a beautiful view at the top, it would've gotten no stars. The view from the top though makes this a must do.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Recreational shooting is allowed in the area and it occurs right near the trail. Apart from safety concerns and the debris that gets left behind, I would not recommend this trail for any dog that is skittish. I prefer Chief Mountain right next to it.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

It's a little rough when it's super snow covered and you can't go into the house if it's being rented, but the views are gorgeous!

Sunday, February 14, 2016

It was a very easy hike. After this hike, I hiked up the Chief Mountain summit. There was not enough snow to snowshoe. I just used some traction devices.