Square Top Mountain

Square Top Mountain is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

This trail would have been great if the wind wasn't so bad. My dog and I made it to the false peak before deciding to turn around - the wind was too strong and it was only about 10 degrees out and I worried my dog would get too cold. The views of Bierstadt and Evans were amazing, though. We came down and tried the trail to the Square Top Lakes but the snow was pretty iced over and I didn't have microspikes or crampons, so that was disappointing. I'll definitely come back when it's a bit warmer.

Thought it was great. Great views beautiful lakes, mountain goats, low traffic, and a challenging work out. Took 3 hrs started 8 returned to my truck at 10:50.

The trail to the lakes are well defined but not so much for the mountain. We pretty much just made up our own way up and it got pretty dicey at times but the views were beautiful. Started about 7:45am and finished about 12:30pm. We did not see anyone else on the trail until our descent from the mountain.

Great trail, great views! I would do it again!

Nice, but hard, hike. Took 2h11m to reach the top, incredible view. Only 7 people on the top.

Started around 5:30am, on the way up there were only three other groups around. The hike to the base is easy and goes by quickly with a few muddy patches and creek crossings, and from there the trail fades away. There IS a trail somewhere in there, but it's not very visible until you're on your way back down.

There's a false summit, but it's not too discouraging. If you can make it to that, you can easily bag the rest! Pikas and chipmunks, as well as a ton of huge mountain crickets, mushrooms, and wildflowers.

We were back to the car at 11:15, but we are slow, leisurely hikers and took many breaks. I used my poles on the descent due to loose rock and sandy patches.

Honestly, skip the overwhelming crowd at Bierstadt and find a more peaceful hike just across the street!

Just back from this hike. A miserable day but topped out before getting discouraged. Brought pruning shears and on the way back I hacked at some of that nasty vegetation that always gets you soaked. Wet and cold so only spent an hour chopping. Still needs a lot more work.
Kurt