Spud Lake is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Silverton, Colorado and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is our go to trail near Durango with first hikes and folks that don’t hike a lot. It has a fair elevation, great trees, very nice overlooks, beaver dams, beaver chewed tree stumps, and the reward of a pretty lake you can walk around. We call it our highest ROI hike. It’s a great opportunity to try your light/easy/first time 4X4 skills to get to the trail head. It can be done with RWD only and some ground clearance. We did it in a RWD Suburban and once many years ago in a minivan. We think the drive has gotten slightly more difficult since then. We did see a Corolla with a smashed wheel being towed off, so pick your tire spots well.

Pretty views along the way and around the lake at the end. Enjoyable for all not just avid hikers!

Real easy, quick trail to do for the afternoon. We wanted to just get the dogs out and have them burn off some energy. They swam quite a bit in the lake, while we sat and enjoyed the scenery. The road is rough to the trailhead. Nice and easy hike.

Beautiful lake to camp out at. It’s a very easy hike to get to. BE WARNED: the road to get to the trailhead is extremely rocky and uneven. You will need 4WD and probably an SUV. Also the trailhead is not marked. Other than that it’s a easy hike and good spot to camp.

I hiked this trail on a Thursday afternoon. Only saw a few people on the trail and got to spend a half hour at the lake all by myself. So peaceful and beautiful. The road to the trail head is very rocky and rough. I actually wanted to turn around a couple times coming in due to bottoming out my suv, but glad I didn't!

PARTIAL REVIEW. Attempted 2 weeks ago alone. My sedan only made it 1.5 miles up the ROUGH ROAD everyone warns about. It got riskier than I was willing to dare. I started up the FSR on foot and within 1/4 mile met a couple warning me there was a bear just yards off the trail in a thicket. The rain predicted was starting earlier than expected, and that combined with the ominous thunder was enough to put the fear-of-lightning in me.

Planning on returning and giving a much better rating!

ATTEMPT #2 was made 8.7.18
Road is truly horrid unless you can clear more than 8 inches undercarriage. Seriously people—it’s built for super duty trucks and hearty forerunners. Made it .6 miles to trail head this time. Set out 4pm. Trail is pleasant and is truly 10 degrees cooler than in Durango. Husband gave a hearty thumbs down because of how rocky it is. (I’m okay with rocky). What I’m not okay with is how slow my 6 year old creeped upon the rocky trail. We made it half way to lake before bailing because of time and a dispirited party.

I promised I’m only coming back with some other party and some big-a** vehicle. We played on the rocks at the Lily Pond and watched some Canada geese before loping back down menacing road.

Husband prayed to see a bear once we were safely back in car. Prayer was answered in 12 minutes time at end of trail where ^^goodness^^ there’s a big ole canyon that drops 150 feet away from the unaware bypasser at the start of Old Lime Creek Road. It was a beautiful, large black bear scampering around the backside of what looked like water treatment ponds across the 80 yard chasm. Safe distance!

This experience gets a 2.5 star rating. Third try may be a charm.

A good easy hike but definitely not the best in the area. There are some dispersed campsites around the lake. Quite a few people there on a Tuesday, including some people blasting music on the trail (please don't be those people). My Subaru did fine on the road in but I wouldn't bring a sedan down there.

Love this hike and spud lake is amazing! Great to do with kids and dogs!

Beautiful hike and spectacular views at Spud Lake. Our 4yr old knocked it out with no problem.

Amazing hike for a family. My 4-year old and 11-year old had no problem with the round -trip hike. We went swimming and I caught a brook trout on my tenkara rod. Don't be scared off by the warnings about the rocky road. We made it in our Subaru, and we saw a compact car that made it within 400 yards. The weather was 15 degrees cooler than in Durango. Just go.

This is a great Family Day Hike! My little 3 year old boy loved it, plus we caught some Brookies.

Hiked up July 8, 2018. Easy trail, Beautiful views. The road to the Trail head is a little rocky. Cars will have a bit of a problem. We have an SUV and we made it no problem. Wife and I hiked up, enjoyed the views, circled the lake, and came back. Nice.

Just a great little hike. Perfect when you don't have a lot of time. The scenery is amazing

Nice, easy hike. By my GPS, total distance was about 4 miles, including loop around lake. Loop views beautiful. Very difficult drive to trailhead. Need a high vehicle, SUV or truck. Very rocky.

Short, simple, beautiful. And the water was cold but great! Recommend shoes with good ankle support because even though it’s easy, there was a lot of loose rock. Also to get all the way to the trailhead will require decent clearance on your car.

If you’re looking for the trailhead in google maps, it’s called Potato Lake, not spud lake.

Rough drive to the trailhead. SUV or pickup truck is best. You need the ground clearance. Once there, it's an easy hike. Especially beautiful in Autumn when the leaves are changing. Be advised that if you want to take a dip, the water is very cold. Don't ask me how I know.

Easy, short hike

Great hike!

Monday, October 30, 2017

I've heard that it's a lovely hike, but we didn't actually do it because the directions link sent us to a place several miles down the road. The road conditions are really bad, so a couple of miles meant that the actual trallhead was out of our reach for the day. I realize that this was our own fault, but I wanted to leave a review so that others know not to trust the link sent to their phone.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Great family hike. Very gradual elevation gain. The lake is amazing. Go early to avoid the crowds.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Nice scenic hike, took a 2 1/2 year old who walked most of it himself (on the way in) and backpacked a 6 month old and wasn't too difficult by any means.

Monday, August 28, 2017

Since I read everywhere this trail was easy, I dragged along my overweight brother, my 6 year old son and my 3-legged dog.... Lime Creek Road becomes rocky pretty quick and I drove as far as I deemed it doable for my little Honda. we parked on the side if the road and walked up the remaining 1.2 miles (according to my phone app). It was Rocky and all up hill. We made it to the Lily Pond where a nice couple told up the trail head was a few feet up on the left. Off we went, more uphill, more rocks. I didn't check the time, but it took us at least an hour and a half (possibly more as we took many breaks on the way up). Once we made it to the lake, it was definitely worth the sweat and effort. We ate our lunch, dipped our toes in the water and eventually headed back. The trip back down took no time at all, but the mile down Lime Creek Road dragged on forever!! Since this is rated as easy, I'm clearly more out of shape than I care to admit. I'm so happy we did it, it was beautiful, it was an adventure and we can't wait to explore more trails :-)

Sunday, August 27, 2017

One of our favorites! Easy hike, and the view is amazing!

Monday, August 21, 2017

Getting to the trail head wouldn't be easy to access without a 4x4 or high clearance vehicle. The hike to the lake isn't hard but some parts are very rocky. Ponds along the hike are maybe cooler than the main lake at top. Overall very worth it and on the easy side.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Eight of us ranging from 11 to 59. So a minivan is not the right vehicle for lime creek road. We had to park it halfway. Make sure you got high clearance to make it to the trailhead. That made the hike a little longer. No problem though. 1.5 hours to the lake and 45 minutes back out. Beautiful hike and awesome lake. We caught a few trout and cooled our toes off in the water.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Great for the kids, beautiful up there and the kids enjoyed their well earned swim.

Drive to the trail head would be challenging with a car/truck with low clearance

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Beautiful

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Make sure you have a 4x4 if your not from the area.

Monday, July 10, 2017