Spud Lake

Spud Lake is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Silverton, Colorado and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I've heard that it's a lovely hike, but we didn't actually do it because the directions link sent us to a place several miles down the road. The road conditions are really bad, so a couple of miles meant that the actual trallhead was out of our reach for the day. I realize that this was our own fault, but I wanted to leave a review so that others know not to trust the link sent to their phone.

Great family hike. Very gradual elevation gain. The lake is amazing. Go early to avoid the crowds.

Nice scenic hike, took a 2 1/2 year old who walked most of it himself (on the way in) and backpacked a 6 month old and wasn't too difficult by any means.

Since I read everywhere this trail was easy, I dragged along my overweight brother, my 6 year old son and my 3-legged dog.... Lime Creek Road becomes rocky pretty quick and I drove as far as I deemed it doable for my little Honda. we parked on the side if the road and walked up the remaining 1.2 miles (according to my phone app). It was Rocky and all up hill. We made it to the Lily Pond where a nice couple told up the trail head was a few feet up on the left. Off we went, more uphill, more rocks. I didn't check the time, but it took us at least an hour and a half (possibly more as we took many breaks on the way up). Once we made it to the lake, it was definitely worth the sweat and effort. We ate our lunch, dipped our toes in the water and eventually headed back. The trip back down took no time at all, but the mile down Lime Creek Road dragged on forever!! Since this is rated as easy, I'm clearly more out of shape than I care to admit. I'm so happy we did it, it was beautiful, it was an adventure and we can't wait to explore more trails :-)

One of our favorites! Easy hike, and the view is amazing!

Getting to the trail head wouldn't be easy to access without a 4x4 or high clearance vehicle. The hike to the lake isn't hard but some parts are very rocky. Ponds along the hike are maybe cooler than the main lake at top. Overall very worth it and on the easy side.

Eight of us ranging from 11 to 59. So a minivan is not the right vehicle for lime creek road. We had to park it halfway. Make sure you got high clearance to make it to the trailhead. That made the hike a little longer. No problem though. 1.5 hours to the lake and 45 minutes back out. Beautiful hike and awesome lake. We caught a few trout and cooled our toes off in the water.

Great for the kids, beautiful up there and the kids enjoyed their well earned swim.

Drive to the trail head would be challenging with a car/truck with low clearance

Beautiful

Make sure you have a 4x4 if your not from the area.

Beautiful!!

My girlfriend, 2 kids, and 2 dogs loved this trail. Well-shaded for the most part, nothing my 6-year old couldn't handle, but some older people did struggle a bit. The views are amazing and you might want to bring swimming trunks for Spud Lake at the end. It's breathtaking. Getting to the trailhead is an adventure itself tho. My lifted Chevy made it pretty easily, and there were even some cars at the trailhead. You will want to take that 2-3 mile stretch of road pretty slowly tho.

Watch out for the roads can't take a car to it . Will have to park and hike down road too many ruts and big rocks on road. If u have truck will be fine!

The lake is still frozen 4/16/17 but a fun mellow hike. I'd wait till summer to hike this one. Also the snow is not plowed 1.7 miles before the trail head

Great great great hike! Such incredible views! A few things to note! The road is blocked by snow about 1.7 miles short of the trail head. The group of mine, 12 people, just cleared a great path the goes directly to the lake, 3/16/17. Overall, it was just short of 6 mile trip! Bring lots of water and some snack because it's an uphill adventure.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Awesome hike with the family. My 5 and 3 year old had a blast. Once at the lake they wanted in but didn't plan for that and it caused a melt down. Other than that awesome views and hike.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Tried to go but the road construction has it blocked off. They said that it would be blocked off through the rest of the month...heads up!

Monday, August 08, 2016

Very nice hike up 440' to Spud Lake through Aspen groves. First third of Lime Creek road was fine but final two-thirds was pretty rocky. Only saw small SUV's and a Jeep. Nice views around the lake. Saw multiple families and even one 2-1/2 year old that was making it.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Excellent early morning hike.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Beautiful! Make sure you have a high clearance vehicle and patience- the road up is pretty rough. The trailhead is hardly marked, but it's just past the lily pad pond where the road makes a sharp right. There are plenty of wildflowers this time of year and the temperature of the water is perfect.