Spruce Mountain Trail

Spruce Mountain Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Larkspur, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Colorado Butte With a Beautiful View Just east of the Rampart Range section of the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains the plains limestone buttes rise randomly across the plains. One of the largest of these rocky islands is Spruce Mountain, situated west of I-25 and north of the small town of Palmer Park, CO. Spruce Mtn. provides a delightful opportunity to enjoy views of Pikes Peak, Rampart Range, the Greenland Open Space, and the Palmer Divide. Douglas County has provided and excellent trailhead which includes a toilet. From the trailhead you can ascend to the top of the butte by a long shallow trail or by a short steep trail. The longer trail adds about a half mile to your hike. On the top of the butte is a shaded loop trail that allows for a tranquil walk among pine and fir groves. Punctuating the stillness, in the spring and summer, is a riot of wildflowers. The trail eventually takes you to Windy Point, where you can look over the edge at the valley 200 ft below, or look out to the south and marvel at Pike's Peak.

Easy trail for sure. Good portion of it shaded. Great for kids or for trail running. Well marked trail with nice views. Good place to take out of Townes not used to the elevation.

This was a great 5.5 miles venture, 2.3 miles was the upper loop. There was a couple other out and back trails, not included in the 5.5 miles. Took two moderately active people an hour and 45 minutes. Saw a coyote.

Great easy trail with scenic views. Some nice shade along the way

Great trail, very scenic. The service road going to the top nearly killed me

I would rate this more on the easy side -a pleasant walk. Nice views from the top.

One of my favorite hikes! This morning I trekked up Spruce Mountain, then down the steep, rocky service road to the Greenland Trail. Doing this nice 5-6 mile loop allows you such varied terrain: stunning overlooks from up high down through serene scrub oak and pine forest to beautiful prairie and meadows below. Lovely!

Beautiful little hike, about 5.5 miles. Went today at about 8 AM and there was very little traffic on the trail. Came down about 1030 and there was a few more people coming up but not crowded at all. Horses, bikes, and hikers all had plenty of room from what I saw. I felt the trail itself was easy, but for those who aren't experienced the first 1.5 miles could probably be a little more tiring.

One of my favorite hikes

I love this hike! Nice trail and excellent views.

Great trail. I would say a good amount of this trail is shaded! Views are beautiful.

Beautiful trail. Gets strenuous near the top. Views payoff!

Super easy trail. Not a lot is shade. Would be perfect early morning or evening.

Such a fun hike! Beautiful views of Pikes Peak and cool rock formations and not much elevation gain. The 5.5 miles goes by pretty quickly!

Enjoyed a great hike, views are amazing up on top, the 5.5 miles is pretty easy with lots of switchbacks.

Quite challenging, but worth it for the incredible views.

Fun family hike. Great views of the Rampart Range and peaks in the area.. Lots more to explore on the trails in the area. We will be back.

Really beautiful hike! I just moved here so the elevation is something still I'm working to get used to, but it was still a fun, beautiful hike! I definitely will be going back! There were plenty of mothers with their kiddos either hiking with them, on their back, or in strollers.

The photos of this hike to not do it justice in my opinion! It is absolutely beautiful. We saw horses, deer and turkeys. Definitely a hidden gem of a town/trail we were glad to discover!

Great hike for the family! It was gradually inclining nothing really hard but just enough. Great views points all the way around! Lots of horses today which was fun to see!

Nice, mostly-shaded hike from the parking lot up and around Spruce Mountain. Good views of the southern Rampart Range from the top. Pikes Peak and Almagre Mountain are partially visible from spots on the trail, as is a distant Mount Evans. Trail is easy enough that it doesn't really feel like 600' of vertical gain.

I've written a blog post about this hike @ www.break-trail.com
If you'd like to read it, follow this link: https://goo.gl/MbqHs2

Good trail for any level hiker! I’d definitely come back

Great hike, even after a snow. Great views at the top. Took the 5 mile loop, fairly easy with one decent ascent. Saw lots of fresh mountain lion tracks, keep your little people and fur babies close!

I was pleasantly surprised by this trail. The map at the base and the signage are a little different. Map names each trail while signs name loops that aren't named on the map. Once I figured out what the signs were referencing I found this area to be quite nice. There are so many options from a short 1 mile jaunt to the top of the butte to watch the sunset or an eight mile loop. I did the 5 mile loop which offer some nice views and includes interesting rock formations. I will definitely come back in the summer for the wildflowers. For more details and pics: https://etbtravelphotography.com/2018/01/30/roadtrip-to-larkspur-hiking-in-spruce-mountain-open-space/

Loved this trail! There was snow on the ground but it made the hike and view much more gorgeous! I didn’t think it was too difficult, my friend and I took the Oak shortcut to Greenland overlook, Spruce Mountain trail and then down the mountain on Eagle Pass trail. We chose this route because it was an easy uphill/downhill, and had great views! I also think this is a great hike to take dogs on, we saw and got to pet a ton.

Great Views

Breathtaking!! New Year sunrise hike was spectacular. Would do this again!!

Great trail, but pretty crowded. Once we went off to Eagles Pass and the further loop (connected to this trail), we were much happier. TH easy to get to.

Clean wide trail, easy to navigate, seen hikers, bikers, horseback riders and some wildlife. Good parking close to Monument. Will try with the mountain bike and maybe snowshoeing.

Easy hike. Decent views, not great. Light traffic. Great for the dogs. Well marked.