Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Spruce Creek Trail to Mohawk Lakes Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1128)
Arapaho National Forest

Spruce Creek Trail to Mohawk Lakes Trail is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,129 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: If you have a 4WD vehicle, you can get closer to the trailhead than the AllTrails map indicates. The trailhead on the map indicates the first 2WD parking area. Challenging elevation increase towards the end, but there is a beautiful waterfall that rewards you half way up.

icy

I’ve completed this trail several times, but never this early in the season. Plenty of snow and runoff, but we still had a great day and we’re able to make it to Lower Mohawk in just hiking boots. Pole holing in a few spots, but dogs and all we made it. Trail to Upper Mohawk was hard to locate so we climbed back down to Lower. Bring an extra pair of socks in case your shoes get wet! If you have 4WD, go as far past the 2WD parking lot as you feel comfortable, it will shorten the hike a bit, if needed

Loved this trail! Was so beautiful once you're off the road and up the mountain. Gorgeous views. Only ended up going to lower mohawk lake. Too much postholing after that to get to the upper lake, although we saw some footprints of someone who did it. We had microspikes but didn't get them out. There's still A LOT of snow, but it was manageable and not covered the entire route. We took the road up and back (parked at the first parking area) to avoid snow on the actual wooded trail. Our boots were soaked by the time we got to the top because of snow and rain runoff, so don't try it just in tennis shoes. Will definitely be back to try to make it to upper lake soon!

Still pretty snowy, lots of post holing. But loads of fun with my kids.

icy

Perfectly packed trail today! I was able to make it with just microspikes to the first lake—snowshoes would have been helpful after that. Bluebird day with my pups and only saw 3 people.

Hiked in early March 2020. There was snow from the beginning of the trail-head. We snowshoed all the way til we got to a clearing where it seemed to be some body of water that was covered in snow and back (prob 2 miles in, 2 out). The views were alright, but I bet if we kept going it would’ve gotten better, I HIGHLY recommend AT skiing although I didn’t do it, it seemed more worth it that way!

My girlfriend and I went with our German Shepard and all enjoyed it. Snow was still waist deep but packed for the most part, took us about 1hr to get to the Mayflower Lakes, we traveled past but stopped, could have easily made it to lower Mohawk if we had proper snow shoes. Still enjoyed.

Hiked this trail Feb 14th on a beautiful blue sky day. The trail had a solid pack down from others snowshoeing the trail before us. Was able to hike it with just boots and spikes. Beautiful scenery near by town!

Heavy Snow! But I was grateful that cross country skiers had made a path through the trail before me. It was a challenge uphill for 2.6 miles but a breeze coming back. I had wanted to make the waterfall and the whole trail but the hour was growing late and I wax alone. I did walk out onto the lake but followed some deep tracks someone had made before me. Beautiful trail! Great workout!

We did this hike yesterday, and made it up all the way to Upper Mohawk Lake. We broke trail from the cabins to upper Mohawk Lake. Snow shoes are probably required past the cabins. The road and Spruce Creek trail are nicely packed snow. No spikes or snowshoes needed. After the next several storms, it might become quite difficult to get to upper Mohawk Lake as we had to cross some rather large drifts. We had great weather.. albeit quite windy at upper Mohawk Lake. Solid weather report here: https://trekweather.com/us/colorado/trail/spruce-creek-road-to-mohawk-lake-and-continental-falls/65

Great day hike up and back, started the trail just before twilight and made it to the top by 1030. Icy conditions on some of the scrambles. Recommend snowshoes, poles and crampons.

Did this hike on Saturday - first ones in the lot and first ones on the trail from Mayflower Lake toward Mohawk lakes. We made it close to Mohawk - where the upper cabin/building remains were but couldn't make it farther. We were the first ones there, so we were postholing up to our knees and trying to follow the AllTrails map in deep snow - lost any sense of where the trail would be and after doing some searching we turned around. We passed some people heading up who were following our tracks - perhaps they made it all the way. Even though it's always a bummer not to make it all the way, the views were still stunning, and it's a great hike overall. It was definitely a winter wonderland the whole way. Be prepared with spikes, maybe snowshoes if nobody has been up there in a while, layers for the cold and wind, and know your route.

Awesome trail with beautiful views even with snow cover. If you’re able, the 4WD trail head cuts out a lot of boring trail and gets you close to the bottom. Current conditions had about 3-6” of snow (drifts were thigh high near Upper Mohawk). Tough to see the little head rocks under the snow cover but was still a fun hike. I’d suggest visiting the first falls just off the trail (description says you can’t miss it and I agree). Also, making it to Upper Mohawk is a must. The view is incredible ahead and behind of you. Poor signage for the trail but is worn enough so you can tell in most spots. The AllTrails map is very accurate. Completed the hike from 4WD TH to Upper Mohawk and back in 3hr 30min. Could have cut that down if I was t trying to find Upper Mohawk. Trail is not bad in terms of steepness except from a. Few spots and at the end. Would highly suggest for anyone looking for a short hike with rewarding views.

This was one of my favorite hikes. Wore my hiking shoes, but hiking boots would have been better, as there was more snow than I anticipated. The hike starts out in deep evergreen woods with running streams. Made it to the waterfalls (slightly off the trail, but worth it) and Mohawk Lake 5. The views are spectacular! Very windy at this point so we headed back. Wore micro spikes on the way down and had no problem navigating the snowing descent.

One of my favorite hikes in CO! It was so beautiful I almost cried. There is a gorgeous waterfall and the view of the mountains was breathtaking. Started with a nice hike through the forest and then up Rocky Mountains.

we parked by the spruce Creek trail head but ended up walking to the upper parking lot and taking wheeler to spruce Creek. loved the transition from the fall colors to snow. lower lake was frozen but upper lake was beautiful. wish we had known about the others! we started around 11 and had plenty of time, beautiful weather. slightly icy from snow a few days prior

Definitely worth it. Happy I went during off peak season, still a bunch of people but I expect much less than summer. Lakes 2 (upper Mohawk) & 4 were my fave! Incredible alpine meadow at the top

Tough hike near the top but Mohawk Lake was worth it! Slick packed in snow made things a little tricky in a few areas so be careful. Very windy at the top so only stayed for a few minutes. Took about 4 hours total. Was worn out by the end but would definitely do it again!

Great hike!! Arrived at the trailhead around 7:30 and got parking easily. Snow is compacted and easily did the trail in just hiking boots. I would download the trail map as it did get harder to follow the trail due to the snow towards the top. The map def helped out. We hiked to the first lake and it took us around 3 hours round trip. Will definitely be back during the summer to check it out! Fun "winter" hike with great views!

We got a little lost towards the top, took a few tumbles, and were extremely oxygen deprived but it was awesome!! We had a lot of laughs. Views were epic.

Impromptu hike late in the afternoon. Steep incline majority of the trail, but worth the views. Found a beautiful stream towards the left of the trail. Perfect day for a hike. Not a crowded trail at all.