Spruce Lakes Trail to Mohawk Lakes Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Note: If you have a 4WD vehicle, you can get closer to the trailhead than the AllTrails map indicates. The trailhead on the map indicates the first 2WD parking area. Challenging elevation increase towards the end, but there is a beautiful waterfall that rewards you half way up.

Beautiful hike with lots of lakes and pretty views. Hiked this back in September. Saw mother and baby mountain goats. Not too many people on the trail, but definitely some traffic.

Hiked this 3 weeks ago and needed crampons to make it to the top. There are two ways to make it to the lake. One of them requires a rock scramble; but both are a steep climb. It's beautiful country and worth hiking it in the snow.

The upper lot is a little over a mile above main lot. Trailhead signs point to Spruce Creek and Wheeler trails. Made it to next lake above lower Mohawk then turned back due to weather, about 3mi into hike. Upper lake another 1mi. A strenuous beautiful hike. Easy to lose trail past lower lake—follow AllTrails map closely. Interestingly the Burro trail from base of Peak 9 finishes about half way between upper and lower lots.

Gorgeous hike! Has everything: wildflowers, wildlife (big horn sheep!), waterfalls, and alpine lakes. It’s a bit beat at the higher altitudes to that point you question if you’re still on the trail at the rockier spots nears the lakes, but I found it to be an ‘all paths lead home’ situation. Enjoy.

Lotsa tree roots in this hike through the woods but worth the side views of the creek.

Beautiful upper Mohawk lake . The sun rays reflected from the lake’s surface seemed like little sparkling stars . The trail itself is a tough one especially for those not accustomed to the elevation. We also parked at the bottom parking lot but we did not mind hiking through the woods . Also the effort is only worth it if you go all the way up to upper Mohawk lake . We took snack breaks at the lower lake and the two waterfalls to keep us going.

Got a late start and made it to the second lake 3.4 into it. Epic Mountain View’s, Beautiful Lake had a nice lunch and soaked it all in. Then hoofed it back. If you have 4x4 and are limited in time I would recommend driving further up and hiking the rest of the way to the final lake.

This was a great trail - but - as others have indicated - a little bit of a journey getting to lower Mohawk Lake. The first part of Spruce Creek Trail is easy to follow with great blue diamond markers. Once you get to the rocky part of the trail - it’s a little more difficult. Several people we met along the way were confused as to where the trail actually was. That said, it was still a very fun hike, with good scenery along the way. Making it to upper Mohawk Lake was really cool - as it kinda comes out of nowhere. It allows for a great place to take a break, have some snacks and enjoy the view. The additional waterfalls and lakes along the way make for great rest points too. The fact you can hit the trail in about 15 minutes from Breck is a nice feature, also.

Nice moderate hike. Easy at start, several lake views and nice waterfalls.

Amazing views at the upper lakes: definitely go further from the upper mohawk lake. I started at 05:30 and was alone at the top, when I got back down around 11 there were a lot of people. The trail up to the lower mohawk lake has a lot of small side trails and it wasn't always clear to me if i was going te right way, so would recommend having the trail offline to be sure (I forgot). Also: I saw many people going up the 4WD road from the parking lot, but you can go on the spruce creek trail through the forest.

9 lakes on the trail. make sure to go to lakes above upper mohawk, favorite of the all

Was a very nice trail. Took spruce trail up and it was very easy. After you get to the road from the trail the fun starts. At some points I thought this was a more difficult trail as you are climbing up a rock face. We left around 9:30am, put up our hammocks for about 45 min at the lower lake and got back to the car around 2:15pm. Definitely a challenge but the view is worth it!

Excellent trail. I would consider it moderate to difficult. The lakes were low so the waterfall wasn’t that great. But overall it is worth the effort. Something i learned is to take spruce creek trail from the trailhead to avoid walking up the jeep trail from the parking lot. Saw mt goats at the lake along with a beautiful view.

Awesome but long

It's a long one from the 2WD parking lot, but definitely worth it still. If you have 4WD, I suggest going up at least a little way.

Definitely make sure that you stop by Mayflower Lake bc it's off spruce creek trail but only by about 50 meters, so it's easily worth it.

Mohawk Lake is absolutely gorgeous--the water is a deep blue. Keep going tho and there are 4 more lakes above it. Above Mohawk is the first time you'll really feel like you're really out there. You hop above treeline right after Mohawk Lake. We went in the fall and the colors were tremendous.

Started at 5a.m. on a Friday, was all alone until I got to the lower lake but no one was at any of the 5 lakes past the lower one which was nice (they were much bluer than the first lake). Last lake didn't have a defined trail to it. Cool mining history, trail is deceivingly flat in beginning. Parking lot was full when leaving around 10a.m. Unfortunately there were lots of dog poop bags, toilet paper, and white people.

Awesome hike! Worth it to go all the way to the upper Mohawk lake. We had trouble finding the trail near the end but people on the trail were very helpful!

This trail turned out so much better than what I expected. It is a difficult trail due to the altitude gain you make along the way, Make sure to pack a lot of water and snacks. I read a lot of the reviews before going and they were right the second half of this trail is not marked well, but it isn't too hard to find your way. I ran into several groups of people who had gotten lost along the way. This is a moderately trafficked trail it didn't feel too crowded. It was absolutely beautiful and I would high recommend going.

Hiked during Labor Day weekend, started at 7:30 and took 5 hours round-trip starting from the bottom parking lot with my Ford Escape. This included spending an hour hanging out at the upper lake and a few snack breaks. On our way down we ran into several people so I would advice starting early to avoid the crowds and the afternoon rain! Like others have said, I have hiked this many times before with my family and they need to add more signs where people have made their own paths because it can be confusing. Several times it breaks off into different paths, and if you stay on the left side you should find your way all the way to the upper lake! Several people continue past the upper lake to look at the beautiful view and I would advice doing this as well!! Bring layers and lots of water!

Hiked this trail many times before. I hiked this with my family (which included my 75 yr old dad and 72 yr old mom) on Labor day. The trail is showing some wear and could use some work. The upper part is quite challenging and so many people have veered off the trail that many times I was not sure I was on the correct trail. The hike gets tough at the top and is pretty steep but doable. Remember to bring water and warm layers as it gets really cool at the top. We started from the trail head, not the jeep trail, which was nice but add and extra 2 miles round trip. I love this trail and the scenery but it is getting to be a crowded trail which makes me sad. I felt like I was hiking with the entire Denver city!

This was a great hike. Beautiful scenery and challenging but very doable. As mentioned by others the road was rough, we parked in the upper parking (F-150 did fine). Not sure it was worth it though. The Spruce Creek Trail is nice and worth the extra mile and a half in my opinion from the lower parking area. Our 8 and 10 year old kids were able to do this hike as well, but it does get a little technical in spots. Trekking poles certainly helped.

3 hour round trip from the trailhead to upper lake. It was hard for me at this altitude not being from Colorado.

One of the favorite Colorado hikes. Gets busy at the trailhead and on trail during warm season. Beautiful green forest to go through starting out until you hit the incline switchbacks to gain elevation where it can get crowded and backed up from some folks going slower than others. Lower mohawk lake was pretty crowded but if you venture up to the first upper lake its much less crowded. If you go even further to the three uppermost lakes there wasn't a single person up there and had the whole open space to ourself. Late in the season is time to get to upper lakes... if you go too early in spring or summer there is still too much snow to get to the upper lakes.

This hike is beautiful! Drive all the way up the road if you have 4 wheel drive. Multiple lakes and streams. Lots of wildlife. Views for days!

Lush green trails and breaths of fresh pine. The lakes and waterfalls make for absolutely stunning views that I couldn’t take my eyes off of. To make it to the Upper Mohawk Lake you just need to go for it. The trail is difficult to find but there are many ways to get up. very uneven surface so make sure to wear shoes/boots with lots of support. This trail reminded me of RMNP’s Skypond. 10/10 would recommend

This is one of our favorite hikes. Did it last year from the trailhead. This year we took our 4wd up to the Spruce Creek diversion which shortened it a bit. Beautiful views along the way and we really enjoyed the waterfalls, creeks and especially the upper lake. Not an easy hike but worth it!

Gorgeous trail with a beautiful view of the lake at the end. We tried finding the upper lakes, but couldn't find the trail that led to it despite many attempts. Locals told us it's hard to find it if you're not familiar with the area, but my gf and I still had lots of fun. I'm a beginner and did this trail on the second day of our stay, probably took us about 3.5-4 hours including breaks, walking around and lunch.

My husband and I really enjoyed this hike. We wanted a relatively short hike with waterfalls, and this fit the bill. It’s a definite workout getting up to the lakes, and so worth it. We saw tons of mountain goats which was cool. The scenery is stunning, the miners cabins and old mining structures were really cool. We loved it and will definitely do it again

Nothing really to say that hasn’t been said. This hike is gorgeous. For two 35 year olds in decent shape who live at sea level, it was quite challenging, but still awesome. Like others mentioned, the trail markings essentially disappear after the first two miles - once you cross the diversion. That would be my only criticism. However it doesn’t matter all that much since all “roads” lead to up. Generally head up the rocks and you will arrive at the lake. Got to see some mountain goats as a bonus!

Very popular hike. It is long, lots of rocks and tree roots to navigate. The lakes are beautiful. Do the upper lakes, they are great. It's a climb over rocks to get there but worth it. This trail gets crowded so start eary.