Spruce Creek Trail to Mohawk Lake and Continental Falls

Spruce Creek Trail to Mohawk Lake and Continental Falls is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Breckenridge: Take Hwy 9 south of town. Turn right into The Crown subdivision at Spruce Creek Road. Follow the main road, taking left turns at most intersections. Look for blue diamonds on the trees while driving through the subdivision. These will help you through the newer intersections that may not be left turns. The 2wd trailhead will be on the left after approximately 1.2 miles. Four wheel drive or high clearance vehicles may continue 1.5 miles to the upper trailhead.

Beautiful!

Beautiful trail! perfect challenge for two sea-level-dwelling moderately fit people. the first two miles are a piece of cake, last mile is steeper and involves some light scrambling. We got there around 10 am on a Sunday and it was fairly crowded on the trail, but if you appreciate friendly fellow hikers and cute pups it's not a problem.

Great, challenging hike. You must go early to get a parking spot.

When we do this one again, we will probably make it an out and back vs a loop. Half of the loop is on a gravel/rock road and isn’t very pretty. We preferred the tree-covered dirt trail.

Great hike! Parking was a bit chaotic but didn’t see a ton of people on the trail. We had a large group with several kids ranging from 7-16 yrs old. We enjoyed the hike through the forest and seeing the falls. But the best park was making it to the lake. Our dog jumped in right away to cool and swam around. Highly recommend this trail to families with kids!

Great hike. Done 2nd year in a row. I’ll do it 3rd year next summer. We have 14 yr old, 11 yr old, and a 7 yr old. It’s a challenge for the young ones, but the views and waterfalls are worth the challenge. Recommend you hike back on the road.

Amazing views

Awesome views, definitely worth to take extra climb to upper Mohawk lake. The trail starts easy, then the climb pass the loop up to the lake is quite steep with few rocks to climb over but not too difficult.

beautiful trail. I would say this is a truly moderate trail. heavily trafficked. also, near the falls, it was hard to follow the trail. Mayflower lake is lovely and serene.

Must take the trail to get next to the falls.

Was nice scenery trail
Started at 7:20am was perfect time to start and get front row parking in lot next to trailhead
Worth the hike to the falls and lower lake. Steep the last .5 mile to first lake.

Great Hike, beautiful scenery. First part of loop is relatively light, trail up to lakes a little more challenging.

GET THERE EARLY!! Trail gets overloaded fast, we got there around 8am and traffic was ok. By the time we were heading down lines were starting to form on some of the more narrow parts of the trail. Other then that beautiful hike. Great waterfall and lake views, nice incline. Very nice!

We picked up the trail off the Burro Trail. Best decision of the day!
We made it up to the lower Mohawk lake around 2ish and storms started to roll in so we decided not to go to upper lakes. Lower lakes are well worth the climb.
The old cabin and cable lines was fascinating to see and worth the hike up. Once you get there the climb becomes a challenge but the lakes and waterfall makes it 100% worth the hike.
Perfect first full day in Breckenridge

Amazing views but not as clearly marked as I would have hoped near the top, and you have to do a lot more scrambling up large rocks on a steep incline than I would expect for a trail rated moderate.

I am new to hiking and fairly new to Colorado. This was my first time out here. I read all the reviews before going. I probably only made it about a mile into the trail, that is the reason for my "4star" rating, however what I did see was absolutely beautiful. I had gotten there late in the day and had started walking up the 4x4 road to check it out, before turning back due to a threatening storm. Storm blew over and I went back out on the foot trail. I am debating whether or not to attempt driving up the trail with my 2x2 ram truck. Looks like it will make it, particularly since I have the towing package and able to manually change gears if needed. I saw many families, dogs, children and older people on the trails. I was also happy that they were very well marked! I thought my map downloaded before I went, but learned it did not. I also saw they allowed dispursed camping which I might try in the future as well. I also found plenty of spots to "get off the beaten" path and to go and hide away for some peace and tranquility which is what I love to do. Another part of the reason I didn't make it to the lakes. I definitely intend to go back. I haven't checked out many places, but this so far is my fav!

Nice day hike trail, but very busy. With a 4WD high clearance vehicle you can save yourself a lot of time hiking up the road to the trail head and spend more time on the mountain enjoying the great views.

Great trail. If starting at spruce creek trailhead I would recommend not completing the other half of the loop (Spruce Creek Rd) on the way back down and instead retrace your steps and follow Spruce Creek Trail back to the trailhead. Spruce creek rd is a rocky gravel road all the way down and had quite a bit of traffic. Wish we had treated the trail as an out-and-back so we could have enjoyed a car-free hike on the way back down.

Stunning chain of alpine lakes. It is worth it to hike to the upper Mohawk. You won't be disappointed. If you have a 4 wheel drive AND high clearance you could drive the first part mapped here. No driving allowed past the trail loop.

This is a great hike. Our group of 6 (teens to 50-something’s) was able to make it up to the top lake after 2+ hours of climbing. Rated as moderate but can be moderate to hard taking the less used trail near the river with more rock climbing near the falls for those wishing more challenge. The views of the valley from the top are amazing as you are at/above the snow-line. Take lots of water and snacks for a rest break at lower lake. Enjoy the view!

Great hike!

Great hike to the first lake and lower falls. Beautiful all the way.

Classic Colorado hiking trail that gains elevation and ends in a big alpine bowl, which was the best part. There are 5 or 6 lakes to explore once you’re above the waterfall, and fewer hikers the further you go. Awesome views from up high.

Not too muddy up high, we did fine in tennis shoes. Also very little snow on the trail. Just a couple spots where the trail was wet but it was so shallow it didn’t matter.

Heavily trafficked down lower. Made the loop for the lower section and one half is all walking on dirt road.

This is a beautiful trail that provides many opportunities for good pictures. The last mile was a bit muddy, but nothing to bad at all.

A beautiful hike ending at 3 lakes (Mayflower, Lower Mohawk, and Upper Mohawk) and a waterfall. First portion is in the woods, following a stream. The last part of the hike is quite steep, but the views at the top are worth it.

Good fun. Likes the mountain goats that greeted us at the top.

June 11, 2018 - parked at lower trail head and took Spruce Creek Trail - pretty tame until I reached intersection with jeep road. Steep from there to Upper Mohawk Lake. Trail hard to follow in places but this app helped immensely. Some snowpacked sections. Very windy at lake. Ran down the jeep road back to parking area. Just over 3 hours total time.

Great views. I highly recommend going through all of the mohawk lakes as it’s very worth it! We saw some wildlife, most notably mountain goats. Our trip ended up being almost 8 miles so just be aware that if you visit all of the falls and lakes you will go a much greater distance than listed.

Mohawk trail was fantastic! Incredible change in scenery from the lower lake and lots of nice spots to sit and enjoy the view on the way up.

Hiked to the lower falls. What a beautiful hike. A little muddy and some snow still, but sooo worth it!