Spruce Creek Trail

Spruce Creek Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Breckenridge: Take Hwy 9 south of town. Turn right into The Crown subdivision at Spruce Creek Road. Follow the main road, taking left turns at most intersections. Look for blue diamonds on the trees while driving through the subdivision. These will help you through the newer intersections that may not be left turns. The 2wd trailhead will be on the left after approximately 1.2 miles. Four wheel drive or high clearance vehicles may continue 1.5 miles to the upper trailhead.

1 hour ago

Great hike. Little muddy in some spots coming up but well worth the time.

This time of year (mid June) the snow is melting and this trail is crazy wet. Its gets worse as you go up. That being said, with some good shoes and a jacket, this trail is extremely beautiful. There are several places that cross the river, but there are only logs to cross, no bridges. If your dogs are afraid of crossing logs it would be impossible to do the loop. The water is cold and moves rapidly. If you park at the trailhead and just walk the loop, the second half is a steep downhill road. Also wet. The views were amazing and incredibly beautiful. Come early and you won't regret it.

This trail was great. So many amazing views. Met so many nice people, including a couple that helped my find the trail SO many times. It gets a little trickier to follow at the top. Both the upper lake and lower lake are absolutely stunning. Pack layers- it's cold at the top! There was quite a bit of snow on the way to the upper lake, but I only had a pair of hiking boots on and was fine.

Good trail, but on June 22 it was pretty muddy halfway up and beyond. Kids had fun negotiating around the mud :-)

We didn't make it all the way as the kids were wearing out, but we got a good ways up. About halfway up you are rewarded with a picturesque scene with a small pond and mountain backdrop!

Shouldn't be call spruce creek. Should be label Continental Falls and Mohawk Lakes. Highly recommend skipping the loop and just off roading to the top of the "loop". If you can't, take the left loop out and back. The falls and lakes were incredible. Amazing views. Still a lot of snow at the lower lake. Didn't go to the upper lake. There's lot of trails so don't get lost. I used this app to keep me on the correct path. Fantastic hike. Highly recommended!

6/21/2017 This was a tough hike but we made it to the top! Beautiful. If you can jeep it up part way, I would recommend it. We hiked from the trailhead parking and were jealous of those driving past us. We had to stop and rest often. It took us 3.5 hours to get up and 2 hours to get down. We are from the Midwest and had to fight the altitude. So so so pretty! We met many nice folks.

We didn't make it to the upper lake because of the snow, but everything up to that point was incredible. We also checked out the Mayflower Lake and the Continental Falls. Definitely a must-do hike!

6/20/17. Took the trail up to Mayflower lake. Lake was not frozen, saw a couple of people fishing. Took the Jeep trail back to parking lot. The actual trail is very muddy and snowy. Waterproof shoes a must. Not very scenic since most of the hike is in the trees. Lake very nice though.

The altitude got to me, and I couldn't make it all the way to the lake, which means I will just have to return to Colorado and try again!

Decent trail. A little snow packed near the lower lake and above. Saw numerous wildlife. Great views start near the lower lake.

The end of this hike is where it's at. Two lakes & gorgeous waterfall. The waterfall was truly incredible & seems to go on forever. Some portions were difficult to see due to snow. I surprised to see the amount of snow I did, it's pretty much throughout the entire trail. The second lake I couldn't get to because the snow was too deep. Extremely muddy, but all well worth it.

Lots of different points of interest toward the end of the trail (two/three lakes, waterfall, cabins). Was snowy at many parts, boots recommended.