Sprague Lake Trail

Sprague Lake Trail is a 0.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

fly fishing

Easy half-mile walk around Sprague Lake (elevation 8,700 feet). Even has benches to sit and reflect from or watch fisherman catch fish. Great views all around of surrounding peaks and the Continental Divide at the far end of the lake, which also has large boulders, great for climbing. Boardwalks and bridges have been built over the marshy western side of the lake to take you back to the parking lot. Shallow, 13-acre lake was part of a resort once owned by Abner Sprague, an expert guide and host. Just before Rocky Mountain National Park was established in 1915, Sprague dammed the far end to create better fishing for his lodge guests.

Not really a "hike", but beautiful nonetheless. Great place to catch the sunrise. Moose in the lake on Sunday morning.

Very easy trail
Great views
Short but branch off to other trails

A must see of Rocky Mountain National Park. My family enjoys going there for evening strolls. More of a walk than a hike. Easy accessibility for all. And fun for kids. Find the dock and stop to pose for a picture perfect moment with great mountain views on the background. If you are lucky enough you will catch still water on the backside that provides for the perfect mountain reflection off the water. Great place to also see moose. We saw a mamma moose and two calves. Went back two nights later and saw a different moose. Great for all!

Great fun for the family. We took our two daughters (10 & 2) and had a blast. The scenic mountains are worth it. We even saw a moose hanging out in the lake!

Super easy hike! Flat. Very clearly marked. We were able to take the stroller for my 10 month old son. Didn't see any wildlife at the lake but did see a moose cow and 2 calves just down the road from the lake. You can very clearly see Hallett's Peak from the trail.

Beautiful reflections in the morning. This trail is a flat, easy loop around a beautiful still lake that offers fantastic reflections of the mountains. We saw some deer. Others have told me they saw a moose, though we weren't that lucky. Even so, great way to start the day!

The trail is super easy, being almost entirely paved. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis so my hiking pace is sometimes pretty slow and I appreciated the easy trail after hiking around other places in the park. The lake is beautiful and the views are awesome. My son and I have hiked this every time we come to the park just because it's so pretty.

Super scenic, very short trail. Great for children and wheelchair friendly. You get an amazing view of snow capped mountains and can capture both the lake/the Rockies in a single picture. Did this hike in the afternoon, and the weather held up good! We also did Bear Lake with a day pass to the park

A good in-park alternative to Lilly lake.