Sprague Lake, Glacier Creek and Storm Pass Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(44)
Rocky Mountain National Park

Sprague Lake, Glacier Creek and Storm Pass Loop is a 4.3 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking and running.

Distance: 4.3 km Elevation Gain: 75 m Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Hiked on day of re-opening. Three stars only because the trail is somewhat boring compared to other options at RMNP. I would put it more in the easy category vs. moderate. If you're looking for a quick hike with mostly flat terrain this is a good choice.

Spike hiked this route counterclockwise on Sunday evening in the dark, hoping to be able to enjoy a moonlight hike. No moonlight due to cloud cover, but did enjoy big fluffy snow flakes for portions of the hike. Most of the trail is well packed, but there were a few sections where we post-holed in knee deep snow. Given that the temperatures were unseasonably warm on Sunday, not really a surprise. The portion of the route that runs along the perimeter of the lake was mostly dry and brown, with some occasional slush and mud puddles. Have done this previously when the moon was out, and it's definitely a very cool moonlight hike.

Beautiful hike! I took 11 people on this hike yesterday. We hit it at the right time. Lots of fresh powder snow. At some points along the trail it was up to my knees and others mid calf. We used our snow shoes the whole time Great workout for the quads. Barely a few inches around the lake. Nice to have clean restrooms in the parking lot.

Did this loop on 1/24/20. Used snowshoes but spikes would have sufficed since trail was snow packed and thin with occasional bare spots. Trail is easy with only 200+ feet elevation gain. Mostly in trees with periodic open areas with good views. Weather relatively warm, sunny and windy in open spaces. We measured 2.8 miles RT in 1 hour and 45 minutes. This area needs more snow to make it a really fun snowshoe.

This was a fantastic hike through knee-deep snow. We saw probably 100 head of elk and wild fox. Not many people on this trail I highly recommend it to anybody who wants a short secluded hike through the mountains.

Walked around part of Sprague lake until we got to a connector with the glacier Creek Trail. We were looking for moose. Came back because we didn’t find any. Beautiful morning. Shaded trail.

Nice secluded trail with only a few other hikers that starts & ends at Sprague Lake. Be prepared to step over a lot of horse droppings, though.

Mon May 27 2019

Still some patches of snow but not bad. Addition of horse poop adds level of treacherousness. Also a lot logging going on today. It was nice to have the lake at the end. Shaded most of the way. Cute creek early on

Sun Mar 31 2019

I started at the East Portal trailhead. I parked at the campground, which was closed. Started up the Glacier creek trailhead, connected to Storm Pass trailhead, then took Glacier Creek trail back to Sprague Lake, did a half loop of the lake before heading back down Glacier Creek to the campground. I saw 6 people total,very peaceful.Trails are covered with snow, so I just followed tracks, and made a few wrong turns. I am guessing it was 6+ miles. Given Spring conditions, you will need just hiking boots to start up the dirt trail, then I put on YakTrax about 1 mile up, then I really needed snowshoes, especially as the day warmed up and the snow got soft. I'd recommend putting snowshoes in your pack - this is a lightly used trail so it does not get packed down, except right around the lake. Gorgeous views the whole route and especially at the lake!

Wed Jan 02 2019

Beautiful hike. Saw several other people on the hike, but the lake was secluded because of the government shutdown. There was maybe a half inch to and inch of snow covering the trail. I was happy to see people at least on this trail have been following Leave no Trace.

Sun Dec 02 2018

My wife and I snow shoed Glacier Creek Trail yesterday. Light snow falling as we shuffled through the beautiful forest. Sprague Lake Trail was snow packed along the first stretch where we intersected Glacier Creek Trail. From that point on, Glacier Creek Trail was covered with light powder, with only a few foot prints. We saw only three people - two hikers and one runner. There was a rescue mission going on higher up in the range, looking for a hiker lost over a week ago, using helicopters, but saw no other people. Temperature was about 15 degrees, but very pleasant in the woods. Trail was well marked and easy to follow, with fluorescent markers on trees and timbers parallel alongside the trails. When we intersected Sprague Lake on the return, the wind was blowing hard making the last stretch around the lake bitter cold, even dressed properly with three climate coats and snow pants. We kicked off our snow shoes at the lake, as there were quite a few patches without snow, along the lake trail. Trail is generally quite flat, with gentle climbs and descents. The forest was magical, blanketed in white snow. A great hike for anyone, as we are in out 60s.

Wed Oct 31 2018

We did a combined trail of Sprague Lake trail and the Clazier Creek Trail. Sprague is a very busy trail, even today on a snowy day. On Clazier was nobody walking, so made our prints in fresh snow. Gorgeous!