Sprague Lake is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking and running.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 633 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

59 minutes ago

This was a wonderful walk today. Beautiful weather and moose in the side pond. This is no longer closed but RMNP will start a reservation system starting on June 4. Check out the website.

icy

Can't say anything about the warmer weather, but this is a nice winter hike as long as you come prepared. The first half mile of the trail was the steepest part, but I think the most difficult part of the trail was around mile 1. It's easy to lose the trail in the snow, and if it weren't for the AllTrails map, I would've gotten completely lost. The snow also got deeper in the middle section (up to my lower thighs), and since the top layer was hardened, it scraped up my legs when I sank in (it was nice enough for shorts the day I went). If you hike this trail when there's still snow, long pants and snowshoes are helpful. Even though I went unprepared, the views at the lake were totally worth it. Total time was about 2 hours to hike there, walk around the lake once, and then hike back down.

just did the lap around the lake. nice snowshoe

Veryfun. Great hike

This was a good hike from our YMCA cabin. Six year old made it, but with much complaining.

Hike from Glacier Basin Campground. The entrance to this hike is in the middle of loop C rather than at the end of loop C as indicated on the maps. A lot of horse manure along the first half of the trail and this section is mostly sand and fine dirt. Overall an easy and fun short hike.

Hello so I just went on this hike with my family and it sucks you practically had to get off the trail every minute because of all the horse poop. The views weren’t even that great during the hike and we had to go into grassy areas twice because of the horse groups. The good things about this hike were at the end it was very pretty and we got to see Tyndall glacier. I forgot to say something sorry... so basically if you would still like to go on this trail(you crazy) it is veeeeeery hard to find there is a ‘trail head’ doesn’t even say the trail name but on this app it says this is the right place there was rarely shade and it was not rewarding I’m barely giving g this hike a one. If you want to go on a good hike go on:Deer mountain and gem lake. There were a lot of people by the lake and the first part was so steep this shouldn’t be considered moderate I would put it as hard and I know I sound annoying and harsh but this is what the hike was like for my family and I would feel sorry for others if they didn’t have this info to base there trail picking on.

very nice hike and workout at the beginning. once up the mountain it is relatively flat to the lake. there is a nice path around the lake and wonderful views of the mountains. very few people on the trail at 10 am .

Sat Jan 12 2019

Surprisingly good short hike that we could access before the RMNP road closures. Did it in boots. A few spots micro spikes may have been nice but definitely not needed for today’s conditions. 1/12.

Thu Jan 10 2019

Great hike on the 10th during the shutdown, and before the storm that night. Used spikes some of the way and shoes for fun on the trail closer to Sprague. We only saw maybe 10 other people that day on the way and zero the next day after the storm on the 11th going to Bierstadt Lake. The views at Sprague are astounding and the day was perfect. It is a moderate hike in the winter with spikes for backup at least. We turned it into a loop by proceeding past the lake along Glacier Creek, coming back down Bear Lake Rd., and returning to Sprague Lake Rd following to the left, continuing on the trail to cross Boulder Brook and meet back up with the main trail, and home to East Portal. It was 6.8 miles total

Fri Jan 04 2019

Completed this hike with my fiance' on 1/2/19. We originally hoped to do Dream / Emerald Lake, but could not due to the RMNP road closures resulting from the 2018/19 government shutdown. Moderate is an accurate description, but only because of the first half-mile, which is quite steep. Past the turnoff for the Emerald Mountain ascent, the trail becomes easy. Trail is well-marked, even despite the snow. It took us 66 minutes to reach Sprague Lake, but made the return trip in 52 minutes. Total time, including 30 minutes of pictures at the lake, came in around 2.5 hours. Although the RMNP road closure was frustrating, there was a silver-lining: my fiance' and I sat on a bench at Sprague Lake for over 30 minutes without seeing a single other person! Round trip, we saw about 12 people, and 4 deer right off the trail. Views at Sprague Lake were great! Views along the trail to the lake were minimal, but there was a decent variety of plant-life and terrain, given its short length. Next time, we would prefer to do this hike with chains or microspikes. Snow was minimal at first, but the incline made it a little hazardous. Along the campground, snow was relatively deep, though well trafficked and packed-down - microspikes would have prevented many near-falls. Overall a good hike that I would recommend, especially if you're hiking with kids, under a tight time schedule, or unwilling / unable to drive into RMNP.

Tue Jul 31 2018

First little stretch is pretty steep then mostly flat up to the lake. Beautiful views!

Sat Jun 02 2018

Great view at the top, not terribly challenging