South Ridge and Audra Culver

moderate 104 reviews

South Ridge and Audra Culver is a 7.1 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Collins, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.1 km Elevation Gain: 343 m Route Type: Loop

icy

Very pretty area. Some people might be able to make it without spikes, not me I’d break a hip. I highly recommend spikes/yaktrax. The majority of ice is in the first 1/2 mile and again about 1.7 miles in. Otherwise mostly dry trail.

icy

Dog friendly, lightly trafficked, excellent views. Hard to believe you are only 15 min from the city from the back side of a mountain! Spikes would have been handy, but doable without.

icy

Icy, spikes were nice to have but my boys didn’t have them and they did ok.

Best payoff in terms of viewpoint for the effort you need to hike! A bit of a steep climb at the end, to get to the top of Horsetooth (North) but 100% worth it.

Biking - Great trail, but don’t miss the turn for Stout!!! If you do you will be stuck going down a dirt road and then the highway. Other than that great!! One of our favorites. We usually only run into 2-3 bikers every time we go.

What a great area to have only 20 minutes from home! I started at 7am and there were already about 10 cars in the parking lot. Decided to fork right toward the falls at the start because the people in front of me went left. It was cloudy on the way up but got sunny on the way down. The top was a little cloud covered which made Long's Peak and the Great Plains not visible, but the surrounding valley's were lit up by the sun. Partly cloudy is always my favorite weather for views! I took the Aurora Culver on the way down to stay west of the ridge and it paid off immediately, rewarding me with perfectly clear views of Longs Peak. I got to the top in an hour and a half and was back at my car by 9:40. By then the parkinn lot was crowded and there were lots of dogs just getting started. Definitely recommend finding a way to do this on weekdays or as early as possible. CONDITIONS: mud is all dried up and rock hard except a couple small spots; the final 100 ft or so at the top is a pretty vertical scramble, probably to scary for those afraid of heights but I felt fine with it and I'm not a climber at all... and it was definitely worth it to get the 360° view!

Great workout! Fun trail. Truly enjoy it each time I have the chance to come over.

Sat May 12 2018

The Audra Culver Trail was lovely. I would highly recommend taking it on your way up to Horsetooth mountain. As for South Ridge Trail, it’s okay. The wild flowers are in bloom right now (May 11) it’s wonderful!

Mon Apr 30 2018

We enjoyed this hike, it's a bit exposed to begin, but you end up with about half the trail in the shade. We did a slightly different route heading up Horsetooth Rock Trail (instead of South Ridge) and coming down Audra Culver Trail. The top of Horsetooth is very windy so hold on to your hat and anything that might get blown off. You get a nice view of the Rocky Mountains... the day we were up we could only see Long's Peak as there was some smoke in the air from fires, but supposed you can normally see Pike's Peak as well on a clear day. The wind was pretty strong on the Audra Culver trail, it kept us nice and cool.

Thu Apr 19 2018

lovely hike and amazing views on the way down!

Mon Sep 04 2017

Nice jaunt for a Labor Day Hike!! Easy.

Mon Sep 04 2017

I ended up taking this up to connect to horsetooth then up to the rock (the views are worth it!). If you're looking for any shade going up, this is not the route. You also share with mtn bikers (everyone was super awesome on sharing the trail). I recommend especially with a dog in the warmer weather to take horsetooth all the way from the trailhead.

Wed Mar 15 2017

Fun hike. We decided it we would not call it easy though.

Sat Mar 11 2017

good for training the legs for longer hikes. close to Fort Collins. I've done this twice at night and it was pretty cool to see the moon come up with fort Collins lit up

Sat Mar 04 2017

I would NOT review this as easy!!!!! Moderate to hard, especially when covered in ice & snow!