South Platte River below Cheesman Reservoir

South Platte River below Cheesman Reservoir is a 11 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedalia, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

The road leading to the Upper trailhead, off the main highway, is a narrow and dangerous dirt road. My little car made it up okay, but a lot of people with very large trucks didn't know what to do when they came across other large trucks. Be mindful of this!

This didn't have the greatest views, and it wasn't a very strenuous or interesting hike. I did see many lizards, and some deer, but it just wasn't worth it, in my eyes.

Great views of the Cheesman Reservoir and surrounding mountains. Trail map doesn't seem accurate as the trail is actually well above the shore.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

I believe the trailhead sign was for Upper Cheesman Canyon. I started at the trailhead across the road from the reservoir. I went on Memorial Day and there were very few hikers. Most people start the trail at the TH just off the highway and just go in a couple miles and turn back. (I recommend starting at the top) It's about 5 miles from TH to TH. It's a sunny hike , mild ups and downs with a few steeper parts with loose rocks. Tons of wildflowers just starting to bloom and it follows the river the whole trail. Challenging but rewarding hike! (I hitch-hiked from the base back to my car)

Monday, May 09, 2016

Fun trail, I really enjoyed it

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

This trail was an unexpected gem. Trail follows the river all the way to the reservoir. You will see way more fisherman than hikers, and once you get a couple miles in there aren't many people at all. Trail is not well marked and can be easy to lose, but since it hugs the river it is easy to find your way. It can also be a bit treacherous at times, as it is a bit steep in places and you have to be careful with your footing. Not sure on the length but probably about 5 miles there and 5 miles back.