Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Learn more

South Park 600 to Square Top Lakes

moderate(374)
Arapaho National Forest

South Park 600 to Square Top Lakes is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 921 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail has its own parking and out house, so you don't need to park on the Mt. Bierstadt side.

dog friendly trail. easy to navigate. snow isn't covering the full trail so easy to get to the top while staying on trail. Second half gets steep but nothing tough or dangerous

Nice hike for the early winter. Snowy but nothing too crazy, was windy so bring face shields, gloves, sunglasses etc the usual. Trail very quiet, took us just over 2 hours and we only crossed 3 people.

WINDY and freezing but I bet it’s beautiful in the summer

Great hike. Went for sunrise. I did it in just under 2 hours trying to go relatively fast. Pretty fall colors on the drive home!

Awesome hike. Beautiful views the whole time! It took me longer because I just wanted to stop and take photos throughout. The lakes are starting to freeze around the edges. Windy and cold at the top so bring layers!

Windy windy windy but so beautiful!!!! 360 views your entire way. A couple good ascents but overall a moderate incline to both lakes. The great thing is this TH is mostly empty, in comparison to Bierstadt right next door. I didn’t know that you can summit the Square Top Mountain on this hike for a 7 mi RT, but the lakes were beautiful (and windy) enough for me! Great fall color on 10.4.19 and the sunrise over Bierstadt was stellar.

Nice trail, would rate it a bit higher than moderate but I’m old and from the flatlands. Great views particularly with the 14er across the way. Windy as heck on 9.26.19 especially near the top. Lower vegetation was turning color for additional beauty. Sky was an added treat.

Hiked 9/21. Very nice, relatively easy hike on an easy-to-follow trail. The leaves are starting to change colors, currently different shades of gold. It was very windy up there, so I’d suggest wearing pants and bringing a windbreaker. The trail was a little muddy, so boots are helpful, but we managed with tennis shoes.

Nice hike with great views. Did it in 2.5 hours.

Went to both lakes and around the upper lake. Beautiful.

Early fall hike with Cathy and Jane. It leaves are starting to change so lots of pretty gold. Ran into jail at the top. A beautiful hike with Good elevation

Great easy/moderate trail! Very clear route with steady climbing to the lakes. Gorgeous views and a nice 4 mile route.

Shocking this trail distance was actually close to what All Trails provided. We clocked it at 4.57 miles round trip and we went to both lakes. The entire hike is above timberline with gorgeous views of Bierstadt, Sawtooth and other mountains. This trail has a lot of incline going on but you do get a break from time to time, which is nice. Once you get close to the second lake there are lots of very muddy spots. It’s very “marshy” like near the second lake. Be prepared, the hike ends with a good incline before making it to the parking lot. Speaking of, there was plenty of parking and a stinky outhouse with plenty of toilet paper. There is also a great restroom at the Georgetown Visitors Center if your not up for a stinky outhouse. Overall, highly recommend!

Convenient altitude warm up for Bierstadt. A little muddy near the lake at the time we hiked it on August 13.

This was a fairly easy trail, high elevation and no shade the entire way can be brutal if not prepared. However, easy for even the beginning hiker. Not super busy even on a weekend but most people do not continue to the second lake.

Beautiful lake at the end. Muddy in spots. Not very strenuous.

Recommend for beautiful views. Easy and rolling up and down in the beginning. Steep for a bit with a lot of elevation gain all at once. Windy but very accessible at the top. Views of the lakes and mountains are awesome!

I loved this hike!! Highly recommend for anyone who loves hiking above treeline like I do. Definitely bring a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen! I enjoyed the variety in uphill, downhill and flat - not just uphill the whole way and down hill the whole way back, lots of variety to save your knees and quads. If you can push to the second lake - DO IT!!! It’s unreal up there - the color of the water, how high up you are, and there’s a killer echo up there too, which I got to enjoy all by myself :) expected a lot more traffic being that it was Labor Day and right next to the Bierstadt lot, but once I got past the first lake I was all alone. My phone recorded that I went 6.3 miles, which is a significant difference from AllTrails 4 miles, but amazing nonetheless!!

I would recommend this trail fir anyone looking for a dog friendly trail with views!

This trail was great and there were awesome views of the Sawtooths as well as the surrounding 14ers. One thing that I have to mention... KEEP YOUR DOGS ON A LEASH! It is extremely disrespectful to other hikers, especially when they’re running all over the place like wild animals. I had a random dog come up to my dog and it was growling, barking, and going after my dog. The owner was no where around. Other than that I def recommend this trail just bring some sunscreen and it’s cold up at the lake!

Nice trail, very muddy in spots. Plenty of parking spots in the lot at 7:30 and there were still spots when we got back to the car. Barely saw anyone on the way up, but there was definitely more people on our way down. Pretty views. I wish people wouldn't leave their dogs' poop bags on the trail though. there's a special place in hell for those people

very beautiful hike! I was glad I didn't bring my dog, out of the 8 or more dogs I passed on the trail only one of them was leashed. I loved seeing all the friendly dogs but if you have a dog who needs to be leashed but is reactive on leash like mine, definitely leave him/her at home. the lock on the bathroom is broken so I just waited to go until I passed another trailhead with a restroom on my way out.