Learn more

South Park 600 to Square Top Lakes

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(477)
Arapaho National Forest

South Park 600 to Square Top Lakes is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 921 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of June 2020, all trailheads are open, but many restroom facilities remain closed due to COVID 19 concerns.

Always amazing. Always.

Such a beautiful hike. Not windy at all on 7/6. I was the only one on the mountain for a good 5-10 minutes. I think I’ll rather do a 13er yo beat the crowds!

great!

Hiked this on July 3rd - Started up at about 8:30 AM, got back down around 11:30 after taking a good 30 minute rest at the lower lake before continuing on and taking lots of brief stops for pictures. Spectacular views along the way make this hike worth the serious incline. There is no shade along the trail, which was actually nice as it was around 50 degrees when our hike began. We did end up in a bit of thunder sleet (but not much) towards the end, but that's pretty typical for anywhere nearby during this time of year. Bring layers as the weather changes quickly and this hike is on the east side of the mountain so you can't see what's coming at you from the other side. Overall though, this hike was really good - wild flowers were in full bloom, trail is well-maintained, and there is intermittent water access right now for dogs. Still several pretty muddy areas, especially up by the second lake, as well as several small stream crossings. I wore my trail runners (not waterproof) and was totally fine for the whole trail. If you have knee issues, I would suggest trekking poles for the hike back down.

Crowded on July 3 with thunder snow at the top but nothing too bad.

Great Lake and summit trail, trail head was packed

great!

Fantastic hike. Definitely some steep sections and muddy areas, but not too bad. View is worth it! Covid Notes: Started 10:30am on a Wednesday. Not too crowded. Not many masks but you can see ahead on trail so you can pause before narrow areas.

Great trail. A little muddy, very sunny and windy at the top! I’m glad I had gloves. I tiny bit of snow but it should be easy to cross earlier in the day. Parking lot was so much more empty than Bietstad, make sure to park in the BACK RIGHT!

There is parking very close to the trail head and porta potties available as well. The trails are very well marked with signs. We hiked with four teenage girls and they found plenty to amuse themselves when resting from the steeper climbs. The views are very nice all the way up the trail though it is a treeless area. There were also a few large patches of snow still around. Like other reviewers, I was glad to have waterproof hiking shoes as a few of our group were wearing tennis shoes and ended up with soggy feet. Most of the trail is dry, however, there are still a few muddy places and a few streams to navigate through. All in all, everyone enjoyed our time on the trail.

Potties at the start!! I logged 5 miles, though next time I’ll fork left at the sign. Incredible views the whole way!!!

Still a little muddy from the snowmelt, but very pretty trail. Waterproof shoes are recommended as you do cross a stream.

Awesome Hike! Some incline but so doable - wild flowers, lakes and spectacular views! Some snow spots left and Stunning!

Views make this a 5 star hike. Definitely muddy in areas. Our kids loved it (youngest is 4 and she did the whole hike-she’s also used to hiking a lot).

A great trail, well marked with a couple of creek crossings. Very crowded on a Wednesday midday.

One of my fave Colorado hikes!

Did this trail yesterday morning. It had fresh snow everywhere along the second half of the trail. Some parts of the trail were extremely muddy, and there were a few streams you needed to walk though, so make sure your hiking boots are water proof. Even with the snow, I don’t think spikes or snow shoes were necessary. I had no issues at all in my normal boots. It was a beautiful day, and besides the mud and some wild wind at points, it was a great hike. It ended up being about 5.5 miles and 1100 feet of elevation gain from where we parked to the top lake. It does get pretty crowded on the weekends, so get there early to park in the lot.