South Park 600 to Square Top Lakes

South Park 600 to Square Top Lakes is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trail has its own parking and out house, so you don't need to park on the Mt. Bierstadt side.

These Lakes were gorgeous and the wild flowers were amazing as I went 08-23-17. We got hailed on a little but it was well worth the hike. My Friend that was new to hiking did not make it to the last lake but I showed her the pictures (not the same).

Hiked from base to lower lake yesterday afternoon. Camped on lower lake overnight then to upper lake and almost to summit in am. The views on the lower and upper lakes awesome. The terrain was very rocky, a little tricky for me and fully loaded with camping gear. Would go again!

I went on Wednesday 08-23-17 started at 11am and finished at 230 as I had to slow down for a less experienced hiker. It was beautiful. I usually do not like hikes without trees for shade but scattered rain (and a short hail) storms kept us cool. The second lake was the most beautiful. Nice quick hike, go early to avoid the rain.

Beautiful and not too crowded.

Great views! Loved this hike. It was very muddy near the end though, be prepared.

Spectacular flowers and views. A lot of mud. Take poles.

We have been hiking in Colorado all week. This has so far been our favorite Trail. It was just beautiful all the way around. The entire Trail is above the Treeline but the surroundings are breathtaking none the less. We highly recommend making the effort to tackle this Trail. We diverted off the trail between the two Lakes heading up the ridge to the South. After cresting that Ridge you can see all of the mountain ranges to the South. Breathtaking!

Great elevation hike. Multiple water features. Bring waterproof shoes and extra socks. The entire hike is exposed so make sure you don't get caught in the afternoon storms. Great hike to bring the dog.

Great trail. Hiked with my wife and 2 dogs. Numerous creeks and 3 lakes of varying sizes. The top lake is a must. Most of the hike is between 11,000 and 12,000 ft.

This is a 5 star hike if you pass the lakes and summit the Square Top Mtn peak. Totally worth it.

A nice, short hike, but far from my favorite lakes trail. Not too many on the trail considering Bierstadt is across the road

I really loved this trail. Only saw one other person and it was a good mix of chill and work. I saw my first marmots on this trail, three of them actually! Loads of wildflowers and it just felt magical. Sat at the top w my dog and gladly felt a gentle mountain rainshower on my shoulders and watched it quickly pass over the other mountain tops, kissing them along the way ☺️

Stunning hike across the flower laden high tundra landscape to the first lake. Great family hike.

Loved this hike! Wildflowers the whole way, lots of creeks, ponds and water and the most breathtaking views. Make sure you make it all the way to the upper lake! We were the only people on the trail the day we went and it felt like we were in another world altogether! The doggo loved it too! Highly recommend.

Absolutely stunning and we saw less than 20 people the whole time! It's hard to believe that it's right across from Mount Bierstadt and there were so few people on this trail.

Awesome hike! Wildflowers everywhere, mountain views, lakes, ponds and easy to follow trail! There are quite a few very muddy spots and a few stream crossings, so good waterproof hiking boots really helped! Some snow towards the top, but easy to maneuver. Two beautiful lakes and a few marmots at the top. It's at high elevation, so if you aren't acclimated, it may be a tough hike. We considered it pretty mellow.

We took this to upper Square Top Lake and then climbed up the mountain to one of the lower false summits of Square Top Mountain. We made it to just over 13k feet. Excellent 14er training. The hike was muddy (with some snow still) with lots of stream crossings which made it wonderful. We saw no people early in the morning with only 3 other cars in the lot at 5a. But by our time back, there were quite a few people and the lot was packed with Bierstadt traffic half a mile down the road. We saw a couple mountain goats at a distance, a ton of marmots and a beautiful young deer. Lots of wildflowers and amazing views. I saw zero trash on the trail or at the trailhead - so refreshing to see. No trash receptacles anywhere so pack everything n and out.

Great hike! This one is a good challenge, with some steep areas at very high altitude. Still some snow, but was able to get around it ok. Good 14er training.

Beautiful hike! The trailhead is in the West Guanella Pass Summit parking lot. The views of Mount Evans and Mount Bierstadt do not disappoint! This is a great hike for dogs, as you cross multiple streams and patches of snow throughout. I highly recommend waterproof hiking boots for the snow and the mud, and because many areas of this hike require passing through streams.
Although it was 15° cooler than Georgetown, it is all sun-exposed, so sunscreen and sunglasses are a must.
Extra perks: wildflowers everywhere and we saw a moose about 100 ft from the trailhead!

All above tree line. Was some short sections of snow, beautiful weather though and fantastic views of bierstadt and Evans as well as two beautiful lakes at the top.

Views are spectacular from any angle - Mt. Bierstadt & mountain range all around, Duck Lake, wildflowers. Hike to 2nd glacier lake was well worth it. - it's at the base of Square Top Mountain. We crossed several snow fields in the footsteps of predecessors. Lots of streams, too; many were muddy. No problem following the trail. Weather was perfect for the day, but always watch out for incoming weather. Saw very few people on the hike - about a total of 9, so it was nice that the hike was not heavily trafficked. Will have to go back for sure.

Still quite a bit of snow but there are breaks. It's a steady incline to the lakes. First one was completely melted, the other frozen. Pretty slippery & muddy in certain sections. Still totally doable. There are multiple trails & a lot of foot traffic going in various directions but it's easy to find your way. You're surrounded by a view so no complaints there. Still pretty brown. The green & wildflowers are trying to push through... would be much better if you wait a few weeks for the color.

Had a great hike today, quite a bit of snow and areas where the trail is covered in water but worth the excellent view!

Monday, October 31, 2016

v nice. beautiful, even after the peak of fall.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

My husband and I hiked square top lakes at the end of September. It was definitely browning due to it being the end of the season, but there were very nice views and the trail is lightly trafficked. Good hike overall.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Wonderful ice cave with stream under below upper lake and beautiful wildflowers!

Monday, July 18, 2016

Great scenery with a very interesting tundra landscape. Great view of the sawtooth ridge. Bring at least 1L of water.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Fun trail to push to the summit above the upper lake. Beautiful views!

Thursday, June 30, 2016

I am a resident of Georgetown and use this trail to walk my dog at least once a week. I'm not certain why this site lists it as Idaho Springs but Guanella Pass (the road leading to these trails) is in Georgetown, approximately 11 miles west of Idaho Springs. This is a moderate trail great for a quick (3 hour) hike. It's located at summit by the Bierschadt entrance and is beautiful in the summer!!!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

This was a good half day hike . The parking lot is right on the top of gunella pass. Very easy to find. Be sure to get there early. We finished the hike around 10 and when we got to the bottom the parking lot was full and the road was full of parked cars also.
Waterproof shoes are a good idea. There are portions of the hike where you have to walk through water and marsh.
Make sure you hike to the top so you get to see both lakes . Not too far outside the city.