South Park 600 to Square Top Lakes

South Park 600 to Square Top Lakes is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trail has its own parking and out house, so you don't need to park on the Mt. Bierstadt side.

RT is closer to 4.8 miles. AllTrails consistently underestimates most hikes. That said, it's a relatively modest hike above the treeline that offers up two alpine lakes, with a mountain backdrop and beautiful wildflowers along the way. Some will find it easy, others hard, depending on acclimation to elevation and your fitness level.

The best viewings of flowers occurred along the far side of the second lake.

We hiked Saturday and lucked into a parking place next to the trailhead around 8:30 am. If parking lot is full, spots are available along the road.

10/10! The wildflowers were absolutely phenomenal, best this Colorado girl has ever seen! The hike had an epic trifecta of wildflowers, streams and alpine vistas with an undulating trail - not straight up or downhill. Just the right amount of challenge. The lakes were really nice too.

1.9 miles to the lower lake, a few hundred feet of gain. Then you can journey on to the upper lake or summit Square Top Mountain (13,806’). The wildflowers were at peak this weekend! Beautiful and peaceful spot. Keep in mind that the trailhead parking is shared with people hiking Mt Bierstadt (Fourteener) so either get there super early, or go late afternoon to get a spot from someone coming off the peak.

As far as mountain lake hikes go, this was pretty unexciting. However, the wildflowers, as mentioned, are out of this world right now! It is also right next to the Square Top Mountain summit trail if you want to bag a fairly quick 13er. Great views of Bierstadt and surrounding mountains behind Square Top.

So many wildflowers today. The entire trail is exposed bring lots of sun block. Great short hike and not much elevation gain but when it does it is steep and loose in places. Awesome view of Beirdstadt.

Beautiful wildflowers and not that many hikers! The pup loved it!

Beautiful trail with good views. We didn't see a single person until we were on our way down (started up at 8am). Plenty of parking.

I went this morning - lots of varities of wildflowers everywhere! Beautiful views all around. Unfortunately, I didn't make it all the way to the lakes because the clouds moved in and there was lightning (around 8:30am).

Such a beautiful trail. I was honestly stunned by the beauty and wild flowers. toward the first lake it was super windy, but worth it.

Amazing hike with beautiful wildflowers, lakes and streams. Not too far from Denver and right outside Georgetown. Definitely a must stop!

Beautiful Hike! We got an early start and took our time. Some water streams that you step on rocks to cross.
Some snow packs that are easy to cross with hiking pokes.
Gorgeous views!!!
We watched marmonts wrestle! So entertaining :)
Had lunch staring at both of the lakes. It’s worth climbing up there for sure.
However, the 4.1miles as it describes in this trail description is incorrect. It’s more like 6 miles.

Awesome hike. I got a super early start and didn’t run into anyone until in was headed back down, I went on a Sunday morning. There are some spots of wet and muddy areas that you can rock hop across, just take your time. I would bring an extra pair of shoes and socks just in case. If you go early enough, the ground is still pretty frozen, but once that sun hits everything starts thawing. Awesome views, i saw a baby moose and it’s Mom. Great little hike overall.

Perfect hike for someone who loves sweeping views and hates ledges (like me). There were 3 or 4 snowfields to cross, but we did fine shuffling carefully in trail-running shoes. No boots or poles needed. Fantastic views of Mt. Bierstadt, two little but beautiful lakes, and the mountains to the south. Highly recommend if you're in the Guanella Pass area and have a few hours.

Nice hike up to alpine lakes. Wildflowers on the way. Several snowfields to cross with some post-holing.

An above tree line hike that starts at the top of Guanella Pass and meanders to two alpine lakes with the option of continuing on to summit Square Top mountain. The trail has a few remaining patches of snow, but traction or snowshoes were not necessary at this point. Mud is a thing. You will be graced with continuous views of Mount Bierstadt and Evans back across the pass, and eventual views of the range to the south. Wildflowers are just starting to peek out. Overall, we were surprised at how warm it was for the hike, so be ready to shed layers and pack sunscreen.

These Lakes were gorgeous and the wild flowers were amazing as I went 08-23-17. We got hailed on a little but it was well worth the hike. My Friend that was new to hiking did not make it to the last lake but I showed her the pictures (not the same).

Hiked from base to lower lake yesterday afternoon. Camped on lower lake overnight then to upper lake and almost to summit in am. The views on the lower and upper lakes awesome. The terrain was very rocky, a little tricky for me and fully loaded with camping gear. Would go again!

I went on Wednesday 08-23-17 started at 11am and finished at 230 as I had to slow down for a less experienced hiker. It was beautiful. I usually do not like hikes without trees for shade but scattered rain (and a short hail) storms kept us cool. The second lake was the most beautiful. Nice quick hike, go early to avoid the rain.

Beautiful and not too crowded.

Great views! Loved this hike. It was very muddy near the end though, be prepared.

Spectacular flowers and views. A lot of mud. Take poles.

We have been hiking in Colorado all week. This has so far been our favorite Trail. It was just beautiful all the way around. The entire Trail is above the Treeline but the surroundings are breathtaking none the less. We highly recommend making the effort to tackle this Trail. We diverted off the trail between the two Lakes heading up the ridge to the South. After cresting that Ridge you can see all of the mountain ranges to the South. Breathtaking!

Great elevation hike. Multiple water features. Bring waterproof shoes and extra socks. The entire hike is exposed so make sure you don't get caught in the afternoon storms. Great hike to bring the dog.

Great trail. Hiked with my wife and 2 dogs. Numerous creeks and 3 lakes of varying sizes. The top lake is a must. Most of the hike is between 11,000 and 12,000 ft.

This is a 5 star hike if you pass the lakes and summit the Square Top Mtn peak. Totally worth it.

A nice, short hike, but far from my favorite lakes trail. Not too many on the trail considering Bierstadt is across the road

I really loved this trail. Only saw one other person and it was a good mix of chill and work. I saw my first marmots on this trail, three of them actually! Loads of wildflowers and it just felt magical. Sat at the top w my dog and gladly felt a gentle mountain rainshower on my shoulders and watched it quickly pass over the other mountain tops, kissing them along the way ☺️

Stunning hike across the flower laden high tundra landscape to the first lake. Great family hike.

Loved this hike! Wildflowers the whole way, lots of creeks, ponds and water and the most breathtaking views. Make sure you make it all the way to the upper lake! We were the only people on the trail the day we went and it felt like we were in another world altogether! The doggo loved it too! Highly recommend.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Absolutely stunning and we saw less than 20 people the whole time! It's hard to believe that it's right across from Mount Bierstadt and there were so few people on this trail.