Sourdough Trail to South St. Vrain Trail Loop

Sourdough Trail to South St. Vrain Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ward, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 616 feet Route Type: Loop

There is no fee to do this hike, as the trail starts outside Brainard Lake Recreation Area. During the winter the road through Brainard Lake Recreation Area is closed. During the summer, the road is open but there is a $11 fee (cash only) to enter. This is a popular snowshoeing route.

Boring trail. Wouldn’t do again.

Great trail through the woods! Still muddy and the snow shoe trail is not accesible!

Hikes most of this loop on 6/29/19. Really nice trail that is well marked through the woods. Only one small snow patch that must be hiked through otherwise trail is clear. There is mud and many creek crossings on the trail. I was able to keep my feet dry wearing trail running shoes though. Definitely a late start to summer conditions this year.

Still a lot of snow and very swampy at times. But we only saw 2 mountain bikers when we started at 10am then traffic increased a lot towards the afternoon. Not a lot of up and down so a nice little jaunt through the woods that doesn’t feel like much effort! Great bridges over rushing rivers and a few views to mountain peaks at times!

Our first hike in the Brainard Lake Area. We chose Sourdough just from looking at the map at the parking area outside of the gate, since it seemed to have a nice loop. Very well marked trail, which was nice given that much of the trail (on and off) was covered in about two to three feet of snow. Got a little wet post-holing; probably not comfortably hikable for a couple more weeks. Took our two little dogs, who managed fine. Nobody on the trail, so very peaceful. Turned around after about 2.5 mi. The post-holing was wearing us out, and weren’t sure what lay ahead. Can’t wait to try it dry.

Wait until later in the year to go. The snow was fine to start out with but once I got on the south-facing side of the loop, I started post-holing. Incredibly frustrating! And the trail didn’t quite follow the trajectory that All Trails has in the app so follow the blue diamonds on the trees rather than the app.

great for Snowshoeing! went yesterday. not a lot of folks out on the trail. nice clear path for Snowshoeing. definitely want to come back.

Hard packed snow!! I wore snow shoes but spikes would be fine! Went with my dog!

Went with Loveland Mtn. Club on January 19, 2019. Weather was sunny with temps in the 20s but strong winds and gusts in open areas. Not knowing trail conditions, we chose spikes at the trail head instead of snowshoes. Turns out as we got on the St. Vrain portion, snow was deeper due to drifting and snowshoes would have worked better overall. Trail mostly in the trees and affords a good workout with much up and down. Would do this again if could pick a day with less wind. We made it around the loop trekking through the snow in 4 hours.

Great Sunday afternoon hike.

Went snowshoeing this morning with my husband and pup. Light snowfall as we arrived. Snow was packed down nicely. First snowshoeing experience was great. Views weren’t crazy, but we almost only did this trail halfway and went back - pup was getting too cold!

Hiked today 12-17. Well packed trail, brought snowshoes but only had to use micro spikes. Only passed one person even with about ten cars in the lot. Nice hike, but also nothing to write home about. Vault toilets and a warming hut were nice perks at the parking lot.

It was overcast with snow flurries so we were basically the only ones on the trail. Beautiful and solitary.

Was planning on doing the Blue Lakes trail but didn't realize you had to pay $11 entry fee cash only. So since I didn't have any cash on me, I just decided to park in the free parking lot and see where the trails would lead. The couple of bridges and waterfalls were a nice surprise and it was so peaceful with some fall colors. Only saw 2 other people on the trail on a Saturday afternoon.

Monday, August 13, 2018

Took this trail all the way down to lost lake, then back up, taking a right on Waldrop to take us back to the Brainard entrance parking. Very pretty bike, I would suggest making sure you get as far as the meadow that opens up onto a beautiful view of Mt Navajo peak and the continental divide. Lost lake was beautiful, but I avoided taking the back paths to avoid the crowds on this busy Sunday.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Very well maintained with wide paths and not too much traffic. Also excellent wooden bridges to cross the creek.

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Great trail, our small dog did great. Lots of shade. Nothing too taxing and not too many ppl on the Sourdough/South Vrain portion.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Beautiful hike in the Fall with snowy patches. almost alone on the trail!

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Vehicle used to access the trail: Kia sorrento front-wheel drive Footwear: Nike running shoe's Child carrier: ErgoBaby 360° backpack 22lb Fee: Free!!! as the trail starts at the parking lot to the right before the pay station. This was a lovely trail, in our favourite area to hike. We started the hike at 8:45am on a Saturday at the end of August. There were plenty of parking spots available and the trail was not very busy at all. For the first half of the trail we saw probably 2-3 groups of people however, as the day went on and we were finishing the trail close to 10:30 we saw at least 5-6 groups of people who had started the trail clockwise. There is no main attraction on this hike like others in the area that provide lake views or peak mountain views but this is a beautiful loop with much to see, streams and a few water crossings on well maintained bridges, wild flowers, a small meadow, and dense forest. We took our dogs with us and they did great, a few small mud patches but nothing to really worry about. I would imagine as the weather cools and the rain comes more frequently you would need hiking boots but during the summer regular Nike running shoe's would be fine. Remember to pack it in, pack it out and take your trash with you. There are no trash cans that we saw but that's good. It's much better to dispose of your trash elsewhere. Finally, this is a LEASHED pet trail. We would recommend this rail and will be heading back again.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Great trail. Some areas are a bit rocky, but not a bad hike. There are level areas. Well shaded. Go early!!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

We accidentally ended up in the right place because the lot for the lake was full. So park at the Gateway Parking Lot (free) just before the entry fee station and the trailhead is right there. It then forks west or east. We went east so our final push toward the end would be mostly downhill - that ended up being the right choice IMO. The scenery doesn't change much and there's really only one grand view. However, it's still a beautiful trail and the way the light falls through the conifers can be breathtaking. Two large river crossings with solid bridges and we encountered maybe 6 stream crossings that took careful balancing. The sound of water is present for most of the trail. Even arriving late morning on a Saturday the trail didn't seem too busy. I think most of the traffic goes toward Brainard Lake so most of this loop felt comfortably secluded. I think "moderate" is an accurate difficulty rating. I'm not fit by any means, and while it probably took me longer than most I did finish it. A few lung busting moments, but a lot of nice rolling meandering as well.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

First timer snowshoeing last weekend! It was incredible and the views were so beautiful that we added on to Lake Bierstadt and we're out there for 6 hours.