Sourdough Trail to South St. Vrain Trail Loop

Sourdough Trail to South St. Vrain Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile loop trail located near Ward, Colorado and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October.

We accidentally ended up in the right place because the lot for the lake was full. So park at the Gateway Parking Lot (free) just before the entry fee station and the trailhead is right there. It then forks west or east. We went east so our final push toward the end would be mostly downhill - that ended up being the right choice IMO. The scenery doesn't change much and there's really only one grand view. However, it's still a beautiful trail and the way the light falls through the conifers can be breathtaking. Two large river crossings with solid bridges and we encountered maybe 6 stream crossings that took careful balancing. The sound of water is present for most of the trail. Even arriving late morning on a Saturday the trail didn't seem too busy. I think most of the traffic goes toward Brainard Lake so most of this loop felt comfortably secluded. I think "moderate" is an accurate difficulty rating. I'm not fit by any means, and while it probably took me longer than most I did finish it. A few lung busting moments, but a lot of nice rolling meandering as well.

First timer snowshoeing last weekend! It was incredible and the views were so beautiful that we added on to Lake Bierstadt and we're out there for 6 hours.

Sunday, November 22, 2015