Sourdough Trail to South St. Vrain Trail Loop

Sourdough Trail to South St. Vrain Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ward, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

There is no fee to do this hike, as the trail starts outside Brainard Lake Recreation Area. During the winter the road through Brainard Lake Recreation Area is closed. During the summer, the road is open but there is a $11 fee (cash only) to enter. This is a popular snowshoeing route.

It was overcast with snow flurries so we were basically the only ones on the trail. Beautiful and solitary.

Was planning on doing the Blue Lakes trail but didn't realize you had to pay $11 entry fee cash only. So since I didn't have any cash on me, I just decided to park in the free parking lot and see where the trails would lead. The couple of bridges and waterfalls were a nice surprise and it was so peaceful with some fall colors. Only saw 2 other people on the trail on a Saturday afternoon.

Took this trail all the way down to lost lake, then back up, taking a right on Waldrop to take us back to the Brainard entrance parking.

Very pretty bike, I would suggest making sure you get as far as the meadow that opens up onto a beautiful view of Mt Navajo peak and the continental divide.

Lost lake was beautiful, but I avoided taking the back paths to avoid the crowds on this busy Sunday.

Very well maintained with wide paths and not too much traffic. Also excellent wooden bridges to cross the creek.

Great trail, our small dog did great. Lots of shade. Nothing too taxing and not too many ppl on the Sourdough/South Vrain portion.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Beautiful hike in the Fall with snowy patches. almost alone on the trail!

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Vehicle used to access the trail:
Kia sorrento front-wheel drive
Footwear:
Nike running shoe's
Child carrier:
ErgoBaby 360° backpack 22lb
Fee: Free!!! as the trail starts at the parking lot to the right before the pay station.

This was a lovely trail, in our favourite area to hike. We started the hike at 8:45am on a Saturday at the end of August. There were plenty of parking spots available and the trail was not very busy at all. For the first half of the trail we saw probably 2-3 groups of people however, as the day went on and we were finishing the trail close to 10:30 we saw at least 5-6 groups of people who had started the trail clockwise.

There is no main attraction on this hike like others in the area that provide lake views or peak mountain views but this is a beautiful loop with much to see, streams and a few water crossings on well maintained bridges, wild flowers, a small meadow, and dense forest. We took our dogs with us and they did great, a few small mud patches but nothing to really worry about. I would imagine as the weather cools and the rain comes more frequently you would need hiking boots but during the summer regular Nike running shoe's would be fine.
Remember to pack it in, pack it out and take your trash with you. There are no trash cans that we saw but that's good. It's much better to dispose of your trash elsewhere.
Finally, this is a LEASHED pet trail.

We would recommend this rail and will be heading back again.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Great trail. Some areas are a bit rocky, but not a bad hike. There are level areas. Well shaded. Go early!!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

We accidentally ended up in the right place because the lot for the lake was full. So park at the Gateway Parking Lot (free) just before the entry fee station and the trailhead is right there. It then forks west or east. We went east so our final push toward the end would be mostly downhill - that ended up being the right choice IMO. The scenery doesn't change much and there's really only one grand view. However, it's still a beautiful trail and the way the light falls through the conifers can be breathtaking. Two large river crossings with solid bridges and we encountered maybe 6 stream crossings that took careful balancing. The sound of water is present for most of the trail. Even arriving late morning on a Saturday the trail didn't seem too busy. I think most of the traffic goes toward Brainard Lake so most of this loop felt comfortably secluded. I think "moderate" is an accurate difficulty rating. I'm not fit by any means, and while it probably took me longer than most I did finish it. A few lung busting moments, but a lot of nice rolling meandering as well.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

First timer snowshoeing last weekend! It was incredible and the views were so beautiful that we added on to Lake Bierstadt and we're out there for 6 hours.

Saturday, October 28, 2017