Sniktau Mountain Trail

Sniktau Mountain Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Dillon, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked this trail with my wife and daughter on Monday. Bluebird day, very little wind, not too cold -- amazing. Microspikes were sufficient as long as you stay on the packed trail (especially for the descent). Very steep at times, but well worth the effort. One of our favorites hikes.

Didn't complete the entire trail on my winter hike, but the sunrise at the false summit was amazing, so I was more than satisfied with my accomplishment. The 2nd incline became a class 2 with sections of snow ranging from shin deep to knee deep. Will definitely be back to summit when I have more time.

Kind of steep but beautiful

Sweet 13er (I guess it counts as one?) Windy with plenty of snow/ice on the trail today. An easy summit overall, took under 2 hours total.

Great Hike with views of hundreds of peaks and down 3 individual valleys, about 3 steep accents which was a bit tricky in the snow/ice, but generally a fairly basic walk. Be prepared for the altitude as that can make you short breathed easily.

Difficulty: Medium

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

A fun trail, the beginning truly is a straight incline. Ankle deep snow at the worst today (October 20), a bit slick coming down. We definitely fell for the false summit so consult your map to ensure you make it to the top.

10/19/18 Started at 11 back by 2 with plenty of rests. Snow on 90% of the trail. Microspikes and poles would’ve been helpful. Only saw a few people the whole way. Great views the whole hike. 1st mile is straight up but after that a bit easier and beautiful scenery.

Beautiful views! Hardly anyone on the trail once you get up the first steep incline. Our dog loved it!

Awesome trip up! We are beginners and have only hiked the past two days and this was super challenging but well worth it. Views are incredible

First mile up is the hardest part. Get past that and the rest is easier but still challenging considering the strong winds pretty much the whole rest of the way to the peak. Use the wind rock shelters built, they give you a needed break. The views are honestly breath taking. Wear good shoes with good traction and a face mask for the wind wouldn’t hurt. Everyone in good shape should try this.

This hike is very intense, even if you’re in great shape! The first two thirds to the false summit is harder than the second third. The first 2/3 is almost completely an incline the entire way up. The false summit had this cool “Game of Thrones” rock seating to mark that you’re about 2/3 there. As everyone says, you’re not protected from the elements at all, so dress warm. The last leg is very rocky and the trail becomes a little less clear during that portion. Overall a really cool, intense hike but definitely not for the faint of heart. Dog friendly!

Most of this trail is walking up a steep incline, you’re basically walking up the side of the mountain with no switchbacks. Good views of the valley on either side and cool walking along ridges the whole way

Really good value for your time. As a result, It can get crowded. Going earlier/later in the day helps (Be weary of rainy summer afternoons). Once you get passed the initial incline/peak, traffic thins out as well.

Went yesterday late afternoon after the storms rolled through. Couple of coyotes followed the dog and I towards the top but kept distance. Windy, 100% exposed - be prepared or be miserable.

Really fun. There are some little rodents there that will be around you if you sit in the rocks at the top

Tough but worth it

Gorgeous views and a vigorous uphill climb. Traffic thins out at the first “summit,” which you’ll recognize by the little rock “shelters” visitors have built to protect from the wind. However, don’t stop there – the mountain keeps going! Shortly after the false summit, there’s a beautiful lake tucked away between the mountains. Bring a lift coat and gloves to protect yourself from the wind because it’s relentless. Views at the top are beautiful. We saw plenty of pika, marmots, and a woodchuck at the summit.

Overall, it’s a challenging and quick hike. Highly recommended. We arrived around 8:30 am on a Sunday and it wasn’t too crowded. Took about 3 hours round trip with several breaks on the way up.

The climb is steep but the views are worth it. Great short hike. I'm not in the greatest shape so I definitely found myself taking breaks to breathe. Be prepared for high winds!

Views are amazing!

Absolutely stunning views. As everyone states, the first mile is straight up but totally worth it at the end. It was extremely windy up top so make sure you dress accordingly. I hiked with my dog and we got there at 6:15am- hardly anyone was on the trail. I know some people get annoyed with unleashed dogs so we wanted to start early to avoid that:). Got back to my car at 8:30.

Gorgeous views, the hike up is not to be underestimated, and the wind today was crazy so make sure to pack a wind breaker, gloves and a hood just to be on the safe side.

This would be good training for a 14-er! The first 45 mins is straight uphill and difficult. Took many breaks going up. Super windy at the top. Bring Kleenex and mittens-it was pretty chilly once we got to the top. We went to the right and it was really pretty!

My dog and I hiked Mt. Sniktau yesterday morning and saw the sunrise at the top of the peak. We then decided to hike over to Cupid, which is an easy climb. This is a nice hike that's not too long but will get your heart pumping at times. We arrived at the trailhead at 5:15 and made it back to the car at 7:45. Much to my dog's delight, we saw tons of critters: pica, marmots, ptarmigan, and even a big, white, fluffy, majestic mountain goat. It was just a beautiful hike and morning!

Grueling yet amazing hike. 1.85 miles straight up. Totally worth it. Views were amazing.

Beautiful hike! We loved every second. The views are on par with a 14er but much less crowded. Did this in about 4 hours with lots of stopping on the way up and a good 40 minutes enjoying the view at the top. The climb is steep, but fine if you give yourself enough breaks. The top was loose rock and gravel, so I would recommend hiking boots or good trail running shoes. The trailhead is very easy to get to and there was plenty of parking when we arrived at the Loveland Pass summit around 9:30 on a Friday. We didn’t see a sign for the trail, but it is on the east side of the pass. I would highly recommend this hike! One of my favorites I’ve done.

I hiked this the day after flying in from Texas. In hindsight, this would've been better with a few days of acclimation.
As previous reviews stated, the first mile of this is tough. Pace yourself and take a break at the first "top," and take in your surroundings. The rest of the hike was ups and downs, with a sneaky false summit. Beautiful views everywhere though- there was receding snow along the trail on July 5.
We left the trailhead at 8:15am and were the only people on the summit. Make sure to find the geological marker.
I would definitely hike this again, but would also be tempted to turn right toward Grizzly Peak next time.

Fun! The first mile or so is a doozy, then a couple of false summits or “false hopes” as we like to joke. Have a snack at the last false hope before the final push, it makes the last quarter mile easy breezy. Views on views on views the whole way up! Enjoy!

This trail is a great short hike to get your blood pumping! Amazing views the entire hike. Loose rock on the trail makes your footing tricky from time to time so be careful! We parked in lower lot.......total round trip.....4
miles
I snapped a great pic of a photographer (professional camera) taking pics. Ping me if you were on the mountain yesterday and I’ll send it to you.

This trail has beautiful views the whole way, but the crowds and the extremely strong winds definitely detracted from my enjoyment of it. I’m glad I went, but I wouldn’t do it again. There’s not much space on the summit itself, particularly if you’re sharing it with lots of other hikers.