Learn more

Sniktau Mountain Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Dillon, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.0 mi Elevation gain 1,587 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (770)
Recordings (641)
Completed (1417)
sharon chhin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2020
Hiking

Views on this trail are absolutely breathtaking. Highly recommend. The first part of the hike is pretty steep and rocky so make sure you have sturdy shoes with grip. Poles are a plus. Wear layers because the winds are intense and it can get cold but after a bit of hiking you’ll warm up. My partner and I kept shedding our layer off and putting it back on as we took snack and water breaks. We were glad we brought the light jackets!

Kristin Chizmar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
Hiking

The views are amazing! The first mile is super steep but once you’re past that, the trail is much easier. Would definitely recommend poles, coming down there’s a lot of loose dirt/rock.

View Kristin's Recording
Ayush Mittal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

It was a great hike, although lot of smoke and hazy due to the fire in CO. It is very rocky at the top, good hiking shoes recommended. amazing views at the summit.

Stephanie Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!No shadeRocky
View Stephanie's Recording
Brooke Perna
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingGreat!

Awesome views the entire way! Got to the trailhead around 7am on a Friday AM. Didn’t have any trouble parking and trail was relatively empty. Parking lot had completely filled up when we were getting back to the car around 10.

Octavio Escamilla-Sanchez
Hiking

Very steep in the beginning

View Octavio's Recording
Reed P.
Hiking

Windy! But beautiful and worth it

View Reed's Recording
Stephen Stowe
Hiking

That first hill is tough both up and down. Take frequent breaks when needed. Traveling to the summit is much easier after the initial hill. False summits are misleading.

View Stephen's Recording
Ashley Stoever
View Ashley's Recording
Linda Murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
View Linda's Recording
Daren Craig
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 6, 2020

Very steep going up. A few false summits. Probably the windiest hike I've ever hiked!

Greg Clark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingNo shade

Mt. Sniktau is very accessible from Denver and is a convenient training hike for other, higher, harder hikes. Parking can be a mess but if you do score a spot, you’ll have a good time on this hike.

Gaby De Los Santos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

I finished this trail early today in the morning. I arrived at the trailhead at 5:15 and the parking lot was halfway full. The first portion of the trail before it splits off for Cupid and Grizzly peak is the most difficult part because the incline is so aggressive. After that it’s not so bad. There was no overcast weather yet but it was chilly and windy so I recommend bringing gloves and a warm jacket. On the way down be careful because the angle is so sharp down. I fell once and slipped a couple times because of it.

View Gaby's Recording
Betsy Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

First mile is toughest, views are spectacular if you can ignore I-70. Did Cupid first then Snektau. Great hike!

Cheryl Gerber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
HikingNo shade

Got to the TH at 630 on a Thursday and i snagged one of the last few spots. This was a quick & steady climb (def the 1st mile is the hardest - there are no breaks unless you take your own). Easy trail to follow, bring gloves & a wind jacket, def poles for the way down if that’s your jam. I brought my 6 1/2 yr old pup and while he’s snoozing now, he did awesome!

William Finkenbinder
Hiking

We are from Missouri and hiked this trail on the first day out in Colorado. Steep first part but the last half was good. We started around 2:00 pm. Do not advise starting that late. We got sleeted on with a very stiff wind at our face.

Dean Street
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
HikingNo shade

This hike shares the same trailhead with Cupid. Hard to say which has better views as both are great. Parking can be a problem if you don’t get there early. Bring proper attire and be ready to climb. Big payoff to reach the top 360 views are like being on top of the world.

Erika Osborn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Amazing, beautiful and worth the effort! went out at 830 and there was no parking so we parked in the lower lot and walked up. trail was very busy by 1030. poles would have been a great help as we didn't have any.

View Erika's Recording
Amber S.
HikingNo shadeRocky
View Amber's Recording
Jason Woods
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
Great!No shadeRocky

We finished this hike today with our 6 and 7 year old daughters. Arrived at trail head around 7am and took last parking spot. The first mile is no joke as it's a steady incline. We took our time, had plenty of breaks, and summited in about two hours. The views were amazing and we had the summit to ourselves. made it to the bottom as the clouds rolled in.

Travis McCombs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
Hiking

Got there at 6:30 am on a Friday and there were only a few others on the trail. First mile was tough and because I’m from the Midwest I had to stop and catch my breath a lot. Got to the summit in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Had the peak to myself. Great views all the way up and saw lots of pikas and a few marmots. Lots more people coming up when I was heading down and parking lot was completely full when I got back down around 9:30

View Travis's Recording
Raina Eddy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
Great!No shadeRockyScramble

As mentioned in previous posts, the most exerting portion of the hike is the first segment. It is somewhat gravel like but plenty of areas you can pull off and catch your breath (and the stunning views). There are a few false peaks, which got disheartening but the summit was worth it. I had never done a hike like this before, as I'm from Wisconsin, and I was able to do it without poles (maybe would have like some areas more with them). However, I did enjoy my grippy mountain running shoes and Camelback hydration backpack. The parking lot filled up when we got there at 730am, which makes sense as to avoid the sun (it is very exposed to the wind) and possible afternoon storms. I wore a thin windbreaker over a t-shirt, and hiking pants which was perfect when I was moving (a bit chilly if I were to sit and relax as the wind can get cool). Also, make sure you empty your bladder as there are no bathroom facilities or a hidden spot to relieve yourself without others watching!