Sniktau Mountain Trail

Sniktau Mountain Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Loveland Pass, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing.

In mid June a wind was still too strong and too cold for me and my husband. Other than that a really cool trail, the first mile is a great workout.

The other reviewers weren't kidding, the first mile of this hike is difficult. The wind was also pretty intense at 9 AM when we hiked it. The views are incredible though and there's very little snow right now.

Rough first mile! Very steep. Otherwise enjoyable and with stunning views. Super windy. I could spot about 10 14ers from the summit. No snowshoes or spikes needed now that it's June. Be careful of the cornices though, and stay on the dry trail as much as you can-- I took one step into snow at the top of the second hill and sunk in to my waist. Great training for 14ers.

first ascent is a killer. beautiful 360 views as soon as you get up it though. highly recommend popping over to cupid/grizzly :) rock 'scrambling' is minimal and snow pack is minimal now. and as everyone said, layers and anything to break the wind as it can be nasty especially in the saddle/ridges. get there early- the cloudless morning sky made my hike today!

Just hiked this one today. It was beautiful! There were very few people on the trail. Just like everyone else said -- bring extra layers, it gets windy up there. I also went across to Grizzly Peak which was about an extra 30-45 minute hike. I brought my dog, she did great. I'm a beginner hiker and in okay shape and I thought the first 1000ft was pretty tough. Overall, I would say the hike was tough but definitely doable for many. There was still some snow but most of the trail was dry. I wore some good hiking shoes and by the end my socks were a little wet, but for the most part you stay dry. My last comment is that I had just a little trouble knowing where the trail head was since I was unfamiliar with the area. It's simple now that I know it: Once you're on 6 west, you'll see a sign that says "Loveland Pass" with some steps on the right (west). The parking lot and TH (which is the TH for both Sniktau and Grizzly Peak) is across from this on the east side. Once you've climbed the first 1000 ft, left is Sniktau and right is Grizzly.

Awesome hike! Definitely recommend waterproof shoes because of the snow melt. You can't see the top from the beginning of the trail head but you will see the peak once you get high enough.

Absolutely amazing. Good waterproof hiking shoes are a must (I used spikes as well) but not enough snow for snow shoes. 360 views are an understatement. Elevation gain is relatively steep, but there are many look out points to stop and take it in. Don't be mistaken by the first three "peaks" you hit, sniktau is the tallest at the end of the hike. Good mix of rocks, snow and trail. Will 100% be back again!!!!

Awesome hike!

LOVED this hike! It is pretty steep at the beginning but well worth it to continue on. The views are incredible! - Completed July 23 2016

Absolutely one the best to date, outside Torres Del Paine Chile!
Slight wind and chilly today even with the sun.

Beautiful views! Completed 10/23 with minimal snow. Use your gps to make sure you actually make it to the actual mountain. Keep walking until you can't go anymore! My gps said 3.8 miles and 2,050' elevation gain.