Sniktau Mountain Trail

Sniktau Mountain Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Loveland Pass, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1/6: mix of dirt and snow, spikes not needed. Did not summit. Wind picked up to at least 40+mph? And gets much colder. Bring an extra layer to change into halfway and gloves with liners. Sunglasses or goggles also would make the hike more enjoyable

12-19-17 Easy access from Loveland Pass parking lot across from the continental divide sign. Arrived around 10am and got one of the last parking spots. Weather was absolutely gorgeous, so I was surprised to have the mountain all to ourselves. There were many back country skiers out enjoying the weather as well. Trail was easy to follow and most of the elevation gain is in the first mile (around 1k ft). The day we went microspikes weren’t needed, but after the recent snow I’m sure that has changed. Does get pretty windy after a mile or so in, so make sure you have plenty of layers on. It was cold enough at the top that my full phone battery was drained and turned off.

The views were absolutely stunning. I plan on doing this hike again in the summer and hitting Grizzly peak as well.

Great hike. Few snow spots as of 12/16, but didn't need any spikes. Amazing views.

Great day up there - 12/12/17. It was definitely windy at points but overall pleasant for a December summit! Still a surprising lack of snow. Microspikes were perfect. Took about 3 hrs RT with a brief stop at the top & along the way. We didn’t sit anywhere too long though because of the wind and cold!

No spikes or snow shoes needed and the trail was easy to follow as of 11/14/17. Sunrise was happening on our way up and it was absolutely breathtaking! Just expect it to be crazy windy and dress accordingly.

Wind was crazy cold at false summit...couldn't reach the top...kept getting blown around...great hike though!

Great hike with amazing views! The wind was the biggest trouble maker. At least 30+mph. Tough hike but reasonable because of the short distance. Wear a wind proof jacket, of course layers, a scarf, gloves (hands froze Lol) and gaiters due to snow. My first 13er and it was superb!! I recommend this as a starter.

Hiked to the false summit on September 30th. Started at 8:15am and there were only 3 cars at the trailhead. Snow on the ground was just thin patches, but increased with elevation and never completely covered the ground. I didn't understand what all the fuss was about regarding strong winds until the very moment I reached the false summit and it suddenly came blowing from the south over the summit. The giant rock piles provided some shelter, but it was still unbearably cold. I hiked up with my 2 small dogs and there was no way we were going to make it to the real summit, so we hurried back down. By the time we got down around 10:30am, the parking lot was completely filled. Wind and cold still worth it for the views with some mountains having snow and some not.

Great alpine hike off of the divide. Great way to get some elevation and leg burn. As of today, just a little avoidable snow on the trail. Easily done in trail runners. Bring warm clothes though!

First mile is straight up! The views are breathtakingly beautiful. On September 24 it was 20*F when I started at 6:30am. Wish I went earlier in the summer!

Mt. Sniktau had great views & was a nice climb, with just a bit of wind. Rufus (dog) was a fan!

Took about 3 hours, but it is a steep hike with no tree cover. amazing views the whole way. I was going to stop at the false summit but if you make it that far just finish it. well worth it for the 360 views

The hike starts above tree level (about 12K ft) so the views are spectacular the entire time. This is a steep hike, but not too long or exhausting. A great warm-up for a 14er. The drive to the trailhead is easy with a tiny 2-wheel drive car, and parking is not a problem. If you don't find a spot right at the trailhead, drive a bit further down to the other parking area. I used to think you needed to hike 14ers to get the amazing panoramic views, but this hike proved me wrong. We started at 11am, finished at 3:15 - but we took it slow, and spent a lot of time hanging out at the summit.

Started at 10:30AM and made it to the top in 2.5 hours. It's a climb and we took many breaks to catch our breath and enjoy the beautiful views. The weather was perfect but I can see it getting pretty windy & chilly up there! I would say anyone in decent shape can do this hike! Bring a friend and keep motivating each other to get to the top! Def my favorite ridge hike so far in Colorado! We finished the hike in 3.5 hours total!

tough steep incline at the beginning with very strong winds. calmed down as you got higher and the views just get better. once on the summit you habe wonderful views of Grays and Torreys Peak. Took us around 2.5 hours round trip with breaks.

Our first hike in Colorado as we arrived from Michigan this morning. The first mile or so was rough as it was steep and we were not use to the elevation. Unfortunately, was not able to continue past the false summit due to lightening behind Grizzly Peak.

Steep up to first false summit. Had to turn around there due to incoming weather. 30 min to false summit, 20 min back down. Only saw 2 others. Hiked late in day at 4:00 pm. Love the marmots who greeted me along the way.

Arrived at the trailhead at 8:30am and the small lot was full, luckily someone left after ~5 minutes. Afterwards we noticed many more people parked in the no-parking zones. Well-marked trail; above tree line so very exposed. Steep first mile then it eases up a bit. Gorgeous views; not over-crowded. Finished in 2.5 hours round trip.

The first mile is steep!
We got lucky with the weather, started hiking at 11AM with scattered clouds and a gentle breeze.
Note on the distance: The 3.5 mile round-trip distance is true only if you hike to and back from the first false peak. It is ~2.25 miles to the summit of Mt Sniktau, making it a round-trip distance of ~4.5 miles (not 3.5 as per the description here).

7/15/17-The incline is hard, lose gravel, rocks, etc. Layers are important, it gets really windy, especially towards the top. Beautiful views for miles, well worth it.