Sniktau Mountain Trail

Sniktau Mountain Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Loveland Pass, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Really good value for your time. As a result, It can get crowded. Going earlier/later in the day helps (Be weary of rainy summer afternoons). Once you get passed the initial incline/peak, traffic thins out as well.

Went yesterday late afternoon after the storms rolled through. Couple of coyotes followed the dog and I towards the top but kept distance. Windy, 100% exposed - be prepared or be miserable.

Really fun. There are some little rodents there that will be around you if you sit in the rocks at the top

Tough but worth it

Gorgeous views and a vigorous uphill climb. Traffic thins out at the first “summit,” which you’ll recognize by the little rock “shelters” visitors have built to protect from the wind. However, don’t stop there – the mountain keeps going! Shortly after the false summit, there’s a beautiful lake tucked away between the mountains. Bring a lift coat and gloves to protect yourself from the wind because it’s relentless. Views at the top are beautiful. We saw plenty of pika, marmots, and a woodchuck at the summit.

Overall, it’s a challenging and quick hike. Highly recommended. We arrived around 8:30 am on a Sunday and it wasn’t too crowded. Took about 3 hours round trip with several breaks on the way up.

The climb is steep but the views are worth it. Great short hike. I'm not in the greatest shape so I definitely found myself taking breaks to breathe. Be prepared for high winds!

Views are amazing!

Absolutely stunning views. As everyone states, the first mile is straight up but totally worth it at the end. It was extremely windy up top so make sure you dress accordingly. I hiked with my dog and we got there at 6:15am- hardly anyone was on the trail. I know some people get annoyed with unleashed dogs so we wanted to start early to avoid that:). Got back to my car at 8:30.

Gorgeous views, the hike up is not to be underestimated, and the wind today was crazy so make sure to pack a wind breaker, gloves and a hood just to be on the safe side.

This would be good for training for 14-er! The first 45 mins is straight uphill and difficult. Took many breaks going up. Super windy at the top. Bring Kleenex and mittens-it was pretty chilly once we got to the top. We went to the right and it was really pretty!

My dog and I hiked Mt. Sniktau yesterday morning and saw the sunrise at the top of the peak. We then decided to hike over to Cupid, which is an easy climb. This is a nice hike that's not too long but will get your heart pumping at times. We arrived at the trailhead at 5:15 and made it back to the car at 7:45. Much to my dog's delight, we saw tons of critters: pica, marmots, ptarmigan, and even a big, white, fluffy, majestic mountain goat. It was just a beautiful hike and morning!

Grueling yet amazing hike. 1.85 miles straight up. Totally worth it. Views were amazing.

Beautiful hike! We loved every second. The views are on par with a 14er but much less crowded. Did this in about 4 hours with lots of stopping on the way up and a good 40 minutes enjoying the view at the top. The climb is steep, but fine if you give yourself enough breaks. The top was loose rock and gravel, so I would recommend hiking boots or good trail running shoes. The trailhead is very easy to get to and there was plenty of parking when we arrived at the Loveland Pass summit around 9:30 on a Friday. We didn’t see a sign for the trail, but it is on the east side of the pass. I would highly recommend this hike! One of my favorites I’ve done.

I hiked this the day after flying in from Texas. In hindsight, this would've been better with a few days of acclimation.
As previous reviews stated, the first mile of this is tough. Pace yourself and take a break at the first "top," and take in your surroundings. The rest of the hike was ups and downs, with a sneaky false summit. Beautiful views everywhere though- there was receding snow along the trail on July 5.
We left the trailhead at 8:15am and were the only people on the summit. Make sure to find the geological marker.
I would definitely hike this again, but would also be tempted to turn right toward Grizzly Peak next time.

Fun! The first mile or so is a doozy, then a couple of false summits or “false hopes” as we like to joke. Have a snack at the last false hope before the final push, it makes the last quarter mile easy breezy. Views on views on views the whole way up! Enjoy!

This trail is a great short hike to get your blood pumping! Amazing views the entire hike. Loose rock on the trail makes your footing tricky from time to time so be careful! We parked in lower lot.......total round trip.....4
miles
I snapped a great pic of a photographer (professional camera) taking pics. Ping me if you were on the mountain yesterday and I’ll send it to you.

This trail has beautiful views the whole way, but the crowds and the extremely strong winds definitely detracted from my enjoyment of it. I’m glad I went, but I wouldn’t do it again. There’s not much space on the summit itself, particularly if you’re sharing it with lots of other hikers.

A steep climb to begin with, followed by gentle rolls. It's quite windy and cold at the top, so make sure to carry a jacket and gloves.

Amazing views on this uphill hike. Beautiful wild flowers right now. Like others have said the wind is intense so bring a sweatshirt but it is all worth it for the view! The only hard part is the uphill otherwise the trail is clean.

Requires good physical shape but so incredibly worth every gasping breath for the views it provides. Prepare yourself for wind and bring plenty of water

beautiful hike! good difficulty.
Did on 6/8: perfect weather - be prepared for wind!

A nice up and down kind of trail. You definitely feel the altitude - but with frequent breaks this trail is an easy and quick day hike. It gets pretty windy once you reach the ridge line so bring extra layers. Took us about 3 hours with frequent breaks to get up and back down.

HEY so I lost my eye glasses on this past Saturday hike, they have a gold like frame and G symbol on the side. Almost positive it was midway on the first ascent and where you reach the first landing. I went back and scanned the whole side.

Three hikers have identified a different pair of glasses on the top of Cupid Peak, which are indeed not mine, weird enough. And I went back to the mountain Monday night and saw that these weren't mine. And the third hiker brought them back to his house, so there are no longer those glasses on the peak. So my glasses are still somewhere on the mountain, so this is just in case someone comes across them, you can text me at 716-912-2711 if you happen to come across them. And if you do, can you please pick them up and bring with you if you're going to the Denver area, and I'll compensate you for the retrieval. Thanks!

But, pretty awesome hike with great views. Surprisingly long to reach the summit with a few false summits. The first mile is a doozy; very steep.

The rating is due to my experience hiking and climbing mountains. There are many mountains prettier than this. That being said, if you have never been to Loveland pass before, this hike would be a four or five. The views are pretty awesome. The hike is all above tree line, so you have views right from the beginning. Instead of going to Sniktau I would veer RIGHT and do Cupid and Grizzly and a 13,000ft unnamed point instead. But the hike is pretty. Views of ten mile range. Grays and Torrey’s, Sentinel, the Gore range, Bard peak and many others.

Awesome hike. Gorgeous views in every direction. Agree with other commenters that the first mile or so is a bit steep, but the last section is easier. The descent can be tricky due to a lot of loose rock, so watch your step.

Though not technically challenging this hike is certainly strenuous, especially the first 1/3 or so. The path is unmarked but very obvious and easy to follow. I was there on a Monday, starting at about 8:45am and only passed a handful of people. The views are spectacular almost immediately. I greatly enjoyed this hike and hope to make it back there again this summer.

Incredible views all the way. The trailhead is clearly marked and the trail is clearly visible all the way to the top. The initial section is steep and then it mellows out after first mile. There are some rocky section in a couple of places. Overall a great hike!

Trail condition (06/03/18): all clear!

the trail starts out very steep, but it is definitely worth the climb. the view is absolutely incredible once you get to the ridge (and even on the way up!). it was VERY windy, but only in some sections. there are lots of little rock wind shelters where you can take a break and stay warm. the hike up to the summit is fairly steep and there are a few rock piles that are somewhat difficult to get through, but it's definitely doable as long as you're not expecting to just stroll up to the peak. overall, it was a fantastic hike!

Excellent quick hike for those of us itching to climb before most mountains are ready for us. Didn’t touch snow once. Started at 5:20am, and was back to my car by 7:20am. Took plenty of breaks for pictures and water.