Sniktau Mountain Trail

Sniktau Mountain Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Loveland Pass, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Requires good physical shape but so incredibly worth every gasping breath for the views it provides. Prepare yourself for wind and bring plenty of water

beautiful hike! good difficulty.
Did on 6/8: perfect weather - be prepared for wind!

A nice up and down kind of trail. You definitely feel the altitude - but with frequent breaks this trail is an easy and quick day hike. It gets pretty windy once you reach the ridge line so bring extra layers. Took us about 3 hours with frequent breaks to get up and back down.

HEY so I lost my eye glasses on this past Saturday hike, they have a gold like frame and G symbol on the side. Almost positive it was midway on the first ascent and where you reach the first landing. I went back and scanned the whole side.

Three hikers have identified a different pair of glasses on the top of Cupid Peak, which are indeed not mine, weird enough. And I went back to the mountain Monday night and saw that these weren't mine. And the third hiker brought them back to his house, so there are no longer those glasses on the peak. So my glasses are still somewhere on the mountain, so this is just in case someone comes across them, you can text me at 716-912-2711 if you happen to come across them. And if you do, can you please pick them up and bring with you if you're going to the Denver area, and I'll compensate you for the retrieval. Thanks!

But, pretty awesome hike with great views. Surprisingly long to reach the summit with a few false summits. The first mile is a doozy; very steep.

The rating is due to my experience hiking and climbing mountains. There are many mountains prettier than this. That being said, if you have never been to Loveland pass before, this hike would be a four or five. The views are pretty awesome. The hike is all above tree line, so you have views right from the beginning. Instead of going to Sniktau I would veer RIGHT and do Cupid and Grizzly and a 13,000ft unnamed point instead. But the hike is pretty. Views of ten mile range. Grays and Torrey’s, Sentinel, the Gore range, Bard peak and many others.

Awesome hike. Gorgeous views in every direction. Agree with other commenters that the first mile or so is a bit steep, but the last section is easier. The descent can be tricky due to a lot of loose rock, so watch your step.

Though not technically challenging this hike is certainly strenuous, especially the first 1/3 or so. The path is unmarked but very obvious and easy to follow. I was there on a Monday, starting at about 8:45am and only passed a handful of people. The views are spectacular almost immediately. I greatly enjoyed this hike and hope to make it back there again this summer.

Incredible views all the way. The trailhead is clearly marked and the trail is clearly visible all the way to the top. The initial section is steep and then it mellows out after first mile. There are some rocky section in a couple of places. Overall a great hike!

Trail condition (06/03/18): all clear!

the trail starts out very steep, but it is definitely worth the climb. the view is absolutely incredible once you get to the ridge (and even on the way up!). it was VERY windy, but only in some sections. there are lots of little rock wind shelters where you can take a break and stay warm. the hike up to the summit is fairly steep and there are a few rock piles that are somewhat difficult to get through, but it's definitely doable as long as you're not expecting to just stroll up to the peak. overall, it was a fantastic hike!

Excellent quick hike for those of us itching to climb before most mountains are ready for us. Didn’t touch snow once. Started at 5:20am, and was back to my car by 7:20am. Took plenty of breaks for pictures and water.

Good training hike, or the type of hike you bring you flat-lander friends too as it’s relatively easy with pretty nice views.

5/27/18 — This was a great early season 13er. It was 95% summer conditions, not too crowded, and relatively easy. We arrived at the trailhead at 7:30am on a Sunday and there were about 10 other cars. There was still plenty of parking left at that time with the spots on the other side of Loveland Pass, and the overflow spots nearby. Dress warm. Although it was forecasted to be 85 in Denver, it was extremely windy and in the 40s. A beanie, pants, and a midweight jacket was fine. Don't worry about spikes or poles, the trail is dry right now and we walked over maybe 25' of snow the entire trip. In the first 0.9 miles you gain ~900' of elevation, but after that it eases up.

Great hike! Physically challenging almost the whole way through. The first 1.5 miles is a semi-steep climb. It's a nice workout and beautiful view!

A steep start (34% grades in part of the first mile) is balanced out by some gentle saddle backs up to sniktau. This is a relatively easy 13er with the exception of wind/sheer exposure being above tree line the entire hike. The trail comes to a T at the end of the first mile of you want to take a right toward Cupid or Grizzly Mountains (or keep left for Sniktau). Little to no snow on the trail makes this one doable without traction or poles. Bring layers for wind, and start early to avoid the backcountry skiing crowd at the parking lot.

Amazing hike!! This was my first 13er and altitude sickness was really my only concern. Thankfully I did not get sick and I really would not consider the hike too hard. I'm a strong and avid hiker and this felt almost easy to me. You are exposed the entire time so if you burn easily, lather up! It was incredibly windy, my phone was saying 20 mph, but we knew it would be and layered up a ton. Honestly with all the layers on it's not that cold, just don't expect any conversation's with your partner! There was minimal snow on the trail, some spots had none. Spikes were not needed! Also, the 13er Cupid is right off that same trail so if you want to bag two, make a day out of it! Definitely bagging both 13ers next time I'm there.

Happy hiking!

April 29th. I was going through Colorado from Minnesota but couldn’t find a quick easy mountain to hike up to until I came across this. Mount sniktau was an easy fast 13er that has amazing views once you hit the ridge. As of today there wasn’t much if any snow on the ground so it was mostly pretty dry & a little rocky. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get to the summit because of the wind. I don’t think it was too dangerous or anything but I’m 15, I didn’t have any sort of hiking equipment and this was my first actual mountain hike I did alone. At first it’s a steep climb up but not like a cliff or a straight drop. It was more like a really steep hill but once you hit the ridge it looked pretty easy from there. It took me about 35 minuets to get to what it looked like the ridge and 20 to get back down. If you have like 1-3 hours & you’ve never been mountain hiking I would give it a shot. Just check what the trail is like before you hike it. If there’s a bunch of snow all of the trail then I would be a bit hesitant but if there’s not a ton and if it looks doable then try it!

Short, difficult hike going straight up from the Loveland Pass parking area. Hiked in early December before most of the big snowfalls, and most of the path had no snow. Couldn't make it to the summit of Mt. Sniktau because of the wind - it almost knocked me off of my feet once I reached the ridge. Fantastic views from this side, but I had more fun hiking on the ridge trail on the other side of the parking lot.

Awesome hike. Short, but difficult. Amazing views. Super windy at the top, would have liked to continue on to the other peaks, but decided to descend since I wasn't appropriately dressed.

awesome hike. bluebird skies on 3/17. no need for spikes. brought trekking poles to ease descent. dress appropriately it is windy and cold even on a low wind day like I had. Loveland pass was forecasted to have 10-15 mph winds.

Hit the trail at 7:20 took me about 2.5-3 hours to do the whole thing. The first section up to the saddle of Sniktau/Cupid is rough. Easy to psyche yourself out there especially when the sun hasn't come over there hillside and it's windy. Stick through it though, totally worth it.

This was an awesome trail today (Mar 17, 2018). Pretty short, but spectacular views. I started off wanting to do Grizzly/Cupid but the winds looked rough on the summit of Grizzly. On the Snitaku ridge line winds were pretty calm, they picked up around 9 am but were probably not more than 15-20 MPH. I left the TH around 7:15 am and probably finished in 2.5-3 hours---forgot to record on my phone. The trail is pretty much bare, no need for traction, flotation, or gaiters.

Tough but rewarding winter hike. Got off trail really quickly and just decided to stay that way. Deep powder, wore snow shoes entire time. It’s crazy cold up top. Check the wind report. Must bring mittens with liners, hand warmers (seriously), head and neck protection, base layer/ maybe fleece under pants, glasses or goggles, poles. Incredible views and solitude. Would definitely go back.

1/6: mix of dirt and snow, spikes not needed. Did not summit. Wind picked up to at least 40+mph? And gets much colder. Bring an extra layer to change into halfway and gloves with liners. Sunglasses or goggles also would make the hike more enjoyable

12-19-17 Easy access from Loveland Pass parking lot across from the continental divide sign. Arrived around 10am and got one of the last parking spots. Weather was absolutely gorgeous, so I was surprised to have the mountain all to ourselves. There were many back country skiers out enjoying the weather as well. Trail was easy to follow and most of the elevation gain is in the first mile (around 1k ft). The day we went microspikes weren’t needed, but after the recent snow I’m sure that has changed. Does get pretty windy after a mile or so in, so make sure you have plenty of layers on. It was cold enough at the top that my full phone battery was drained and turned off.

The views were absolutely stunning. I plan on doing this hike again in the summer and hitting Grizzly peak as well.

Great hike. Few snow spots as of 12/16, but didn't need any spikes. Amazing views.

Great day up there - 12/12/17. It was definitely windy at points but overall pleasant for a December summit! Still a surprising lack of snow. Microspikes were perfect. Took about 3 hrs RT with a brief stop at the top & along the way. We didn’t sit anywhere too long though because of the wind and cold!

Great hike. Got too windy and turned around. I'll be back because he views even at the false summit are breathtaking

No spikes or snow shoes needed and the trail was easy to follow as of 11/14/17. Sunrise was happening on our way up and it was absolutely breathtaking! Just expect it to be crazy windy and dress accordingly.

Wind was crazy cold at false summit...couldn't reach the top...kept getting blown around...great hike though!

Great hike with amazing views! The wind was the biggest trouble maker. At least 30+mph. Tough hike but reasonable because of the short distance. Wear a wind proof jacket, of course layers, a scarf, gloves (hands froze Lol) and gaiters due to snow. My first 13er and it was superb!! I recommend this as a starter.

Hiked to the false summit on September 30th. Started at 8:15am and there were only 3 cars at the trailhead. Snow on the ground was just thin patches, but increased with elevation and never completely covered the ground. I didn't understand what all the fuss was about regarding strong winds until the very moment I reached the false summit and it suddenly came blowing from the south over the summit. The giant rock piles provided some shelter, but it was still unbearably cold. I hiked up with my 2 small dogs and there was no way we were going to make it to the real summit, so we hurried back down. By the time we got down around 10:30am, the parking lot was completely filled. Wind and cold still worth it for the views with some mountains having snow and some not.