Learn more

Smelter Mountain Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Durango, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,374 feet Route Type: Out & Back

December 1st-April 15th: Trail can be accessed between 10AM and 2PM.

The upper part of the trail (more than half of the trail) is closed from December 1 - April 15.

really gets the heart rate up. great trail.

super muddy, but a great trail

Great view of old/new parts of Durango and the surrounding mountains. Not very many resting spots and there are two small parts where the trail becomes a little unclear, but it’s really easy to find the trail again. All around a great hike.

Pretty views of Durango, surrounding mountains and Lake Nighthorse. Lots of radio/ cellphone towers up top.

Fun trail - It is pretty much as straight, steep climb up from the bottom and not many flat areas if you need rest. The trail can get a little rocky/pebbly at times. The top of the trail is kinda strange and not really appealing to just walk through radio towers

Great afternoon hike. It’ll get your heart rate up. Awesome views of Durango from the top. I could go without the hiking on the service road.

Not the greatest trail, but 4 star rating for convenience to town and good views of Durango to the north and Nighthorse Lake to the south.

do it.

loving it

Great trail! Happy to have it as my backyard.

Four stars for the views of town and Lake Nighthorse. Good quick hike.

Very steep, highly recommend stick for the descent. No dogs allowed. No shade, beautiful views.

This trail is not that clearly marked, but if you follow the general direction of trails and rocks you’ll end up where you want to go! The trail itself is nothing too special, but the views of the city are hard to beat. Very steep going up and can be hard on the legs on the way down from the uneven terrain towards the bottom.

07/04/2019 Pretty steep the whole way up but it goes by quickly and the view of downtown Durango is well worth it!

Great workout. Pretty steep. Steep coming back down.

good workout

Close to city for good views of it. Short, but intense.

If you are looking for a beautiful view of the city this is a great trail. If you’re looking to get further into nature, I’d recommend another hike. I would also recommend poles. The way up is a little tricky but doable without, however coming down I do wish I had used them.

Wed Nov 28 2018

Let me preface this with saying I am an overweight flatlander with a 8 year old. It was absolutely beautiful, the views are worth it, but we had to stop MANY a time to catch our breath and rest. The initial ascent is daunting but you eventually get to the top and it levels out. Amazing hike with incredible views and will definitely do it again this year. Might not take the kid lol. Trek poles are a GREAT help ! Ps. I passed the intersection a good 6 times trying to find the trailhead . Don’t be like me !

Tue Nov 06 2018

This was my first solo hike in Colorado, and it was a decent one! Weather was phenomenal here in early November (high 50s and sunny). The initial ascent was a bit intimidating, with loose rocks and a decent amount of elevation gain at first. It then got gradually easier, especially towards the top. The traverse across the mountain was awesome too. I opted to descend parallel to the canyon, which made for a cool hike out.

Thu Aug 30 2018

This is a close to work and offers a difficult enough hike that allows me to get used to fast elevation climbs for chasing Desert Bighorn in NM. I did this trail several times a month last year for chasing Ibex and it paid off!

Wed Jul 25 2018

Beautiful day before the afternoon showers started to sneak in. Great views of downtown Durango, Bodo, and Nighthorse.

Mon Jul 23 2018

Thwarted by thunderstorms (and a bear) at Spud Lake, I hoped to redeem my workout here. 90 degree day and a 345pm start wasn’t a good idea but I thought I’d go for it. Not super clear directions to find trailhead for an out-of-Towner. I parked in what I assumed to be right place amidst lots of no-parking-here-you’ll-get-towed signs on feeder road. I was the only car so that made me nervous. Then I saw signs with red letters “10am-2pm daily” that also made me fret—was it during winter only? Was it every day? Was this why I was the only car in the lot on a weekend? I am too compliant —didn’t go much further than the steep initial scramble and turned around for fear of a ticket or something. Back in the parking lot a local pulled up and clarified the 10 AM - 2 PM is only during the migration season—which is not now. I’ll re-attempt at a later date with trekking polls, a hiking partner, and a 630am start.

Mon Jun 18 2018

Sign at trailhead indicating that it’s closed as of 6/12/18 due to Stage 3 fire restrictions. Sounds like it would have been a good one though!