Smelter Mountain Trail

Smelter Mountain Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Durango, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October.

December 1st-April 15th: Trail can be accessed between 10AM and 2PM.

1 hour ago

Thwarted by thunderstorms (and a bear) at Spud Lake, I hoped to redeem my workout here. 90 degree day and a 345pm start wasn’t a good idea but I thought I’d go for it. Not super clear directions to find trailhead for an out-of-Towner. I parked in what I assumed to be right place amidst lots of no-parking-here-you’ll-get-towed signs on feeder road. I was the only car so that made me nervous. Then I saw signs with red letters “10am-2pm daily” that also made me fret—was it during winter only? Was it every day? Was this why I was the only car in the lot on a weekend?

I am too compliant —didn’t go much further than the steep initial scramble and turned around for fear of a ticket or something.

Back in the parking lot a local pulled up and clarified the 10 AM - 2 PM is only during the migration season—which is not now.

I’ll re-attempt at a later date with trekking polls, a hiking partner, and a 630am start.

Sign at trailhead indicating that it’s closed as of 6/12/18 due to Stage 3 fire restrictions. Sounds like it would have been a good one though!

Great views of Durango. Steep climb with lots of loose rock. Power grids @ top. Definitely not easy. Moderate rating is in spot. Trekking poles are a great help

Short but steep hike. Incline is especially steep in the beginning. Took about an hour to go up and back down. Beautiful views of Durango at sunset.

Nice hike with several viewpoints of Durango. Lots of loose rock on steep slopes - trekking poles are a big help. Some shade available.

Pretty steep incline right at the start. Nice views at the top though.

We took kids 3,6, and 9. The 9 year old loved it. The littles enjoyed the rock scramble on the way up, but the loose dirt on the way down was tough but they still enjoyed it. Walking sticks may have helped them.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

This was not an easy trail for me. It was quite steep even though it's a relatively short hike. It took me an hour to ascend to just east of the towers. If you're the least bit wary of going down steep trails I recommend having hiking poles to assist your descent. The views from just east of the towers was spectacular. Looking north one can see Eolus and the tips of Pigeon and Turret just above Lime Mesa. Engineer and some of Twilight were visible and the La Platas were very nice as well. We went on a rather overcast, windy, cold day so we got pretty buffeted by the wind. It also kept the hiker numbers down I think.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Short and steep... and sweet. Great hike for a great view of Durango. Close to town, great for watching a sunset or sunrise.

off road driving
Tuesday, August 16, 2016

If you plan on driving please have a capable vehicle. Altitude was roughly 7300. Not sure about my devices' accuracy but non the less amazing views of Durango and a parallel lake or reservoir?

Sunday, September 06, 2015

My sister, friend and I hiked for the first time last month. Pretty easy hike with some rocks to contend with. Decent views of City and great exercise for the day. Took us about 3-4 hours but we stopped and took photos, etc.

Friday, July 14, 2017